Married Priests - And yet one more reason

And yet one more reason why priests should NOT be married…

[quote=FoxNews]Closed for Christmas
It seems even places of worship aren’t immune to secularizing Christmas. Some of the country’s largest churches are shutting their doors on Christmas Day so that staff and volunteers can spend time with their families. So-called megachurches near Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Detroit, where thousands of people worship each week, are closing for Christmas, despite the fact that the holiday falls on a Sunday.

What’s more, pastors at the churches report that the decision hasn’t generated much controversy. One Kentucky pastor says Christmas is no longer sacred to many Americans, adding, “It’s viewed more as a holiday than a holy day.”
[/quote]

Link Here foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177763,00.html

Martin

You know, it’s funny, but good friend, a minister’s wife, was mentioning how they never have a Christmas service. She did comment, though, that there’s always a few that are disappointed to not have that option. I pointed out that these were probably there converts from Catholicism, who remember how important it was to start their holiday this way as children. They may have made a big mistake in leaving the Church but … well, you can evangelize the person out of the Catholic Church, but you can’t take the Catholic Church out of the person.

I saw this on the news this morning. Isn’t it sad yet funny that we have no frame of reference for not having church on Christmas? It is sad that there are pastors that think of themselves first before their service to the Lord. It is funny that it actually gives creedance to Paul’s advice that priests not marry so they can serve the Lord better. It is sad that someone will undoubtedly need to feel the presence of God in his house on Christmas and not be able to go to their home church. It is funny that one of the only churches they will be able to walk into will be the Catholic Church…(God’s plan perhaps) It is sad that some people claim to be Christians and yet they don’t even attend the birthday party (service) for their Savior. It totally baffles me that a protestant church would be closed on Christmas…it never even occured to me that there would be no worship on that day…guess it shows how much I know

What on earth does this have to do with married priests? The Catholic Church has had married priests for centuries in the East and this has never caused them to get rid of Christmas???

I am not in favor of suddenly changing the Latin-Rite tradition to allow for marrage but having married priests doesn’t in any way lead to cutting out Christmas. There are probably a few million Eastern Catholics that might take offense to this suggestion.

[quote=matthias]What on earth does this have to do with married priests? The Catholic Church has had married priests for centuries in the East and this has never caused them to get rid of Christmas???

I am not in favor of suddenly changing the Latin-Rite tradition to allow for marrage but having married priests doesn’t in any way lead to cutting out Christmas. There are probably a few million Eastern Catholics that might take offense to this suggestion.
[/quote]

I wondered this as well, although I think the connection the OP was trying to make is that married priests are more likely to want to spend Christmas with their families instead of in Church…But this connection is weak.

I see the OP as more a reason why it’s best to be Catholic, because Christmas is a Holy Day. I cannot imagine not going to church on Christmas! Perhaps the title should be renamed…“Why it’s best to be Catholic” :smiley:

I think the bigger issue is removing the TRUE priesthood. Protestants have orators, not priests. That being said, I do agree with St. Paul that priests shouldn’t be married. I know he asserted something of that sort. Anyone know the verses?

Wow, all I can say is wow. Church closed on Sunday b/c of Christmas? My Baptist church would have never allowed that! I don’t know what denominations these people are, but wow! 1st Church of Convinience?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.