Married Priest's

This just came on the news today, I’m fed up with these Bishops making public statements like they had the power to change it.
He supposidly is a liberal, I wonder will he be summoned to Rome like another here a few years ago.
These people are disobedient to the Magisterium and leading the flock in all directions. :mad:
My problem is he should be going to Rome with all this instead of the media, as if they or we had the power to change anything. :rolleyes:

A bishop who called for priests to be allowed to marry will not fear any potential sanction from the Vatican, it was claimed today.
breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=166370312&p=y6637yxy8

holy orders is a sacrament. moving thread

married priests is a disciplinary issue and could be changed if the Vatican considered it to be prudent and in the best interests of the Church and the priesthood. What cannot be changed is ordination of women, which is not possible.

[quote=puzzleannie]married priests is a disciplinary issue and could be changed if the Vatican considered it to be prudent and in the best interests of the Church and the priesthood. What cannot be changed is ordination of women, which is not possible.
[/quote]

True, all I’m annoyed about is the public statements like throwing a bone in among a pack of hungry dogs and let them have a free for all.

I just think it’s the disobedience that annoys me, like we’ll have a worldwide vote on it, I know the Vatican can change the rules on it.
I’ts just these self proclaimned pontiffs coming out in public instead of taking their grievance to Rome, and if the Pope changes it fine.
This coming from people in responsibility who should know better, like it will solve the issue, when some of us know that married men abuse children and being married didn’t make the slightest bit of difference.

Any priest could be released from the discipline of celibacy. That is for Rome to determine. When married Protestant ministers convert to the Church, they are often released from this discipline by Rome and are admitted to Holy Orders.

What this bishop really should do next is accept a married cradle Catholic man to candidacy for the priesthood, and apply to Rome for release from the discipline of celibacy and then see what Rome’s answer is.

:hmmm:

[quote=Eireann]True, all I’m annoyed about is the public statements like throwing a bone in among a pack of hungry dogs and let them have a free for all.
[/quote]

I do agree with you, Eireann. The conversation should be had among those who have an interest in the outcome and some authority in the matter. The media are not Catholic. Nor do they have any authority in the matter.

What never ceases to amaze me is the discourtesy of those who choose to take their rebelliousness to the media. The tree is known by its fruit, I suppose.

BTW, didn’t the Vatican recently pronounce in favour of celibacy for the clergy?

Merry Christmas, Eireann! And all you others!

Christ asks us discerning the priesthood to give everything to him.

Ive always seen celibacy as a test of that. If you are called to the priesthood, God will give you his grace so you can be celibate, you just have to accept the challenge.

those leaving are saying that they would rather do their own will than Gods will - could it be argued that it is a good priest filter as well??

This is an internal issue dealing with discipline. No Bishop should be talking to the press about it. Thatd be like a son telling the local news that he doesn’t like their family Christmas traditions. Why go to the press when you should be taking the issue to your family? Personally, I wouldn’t mind a healthy mix of both married and celibate priests with bishops being celibate. However, what does a college kid know compared to the magisterium?

I personally am DEEPLY considering the priesthood in my young age and I would never marry even if I had the oppurtunity while I was a priest. Families are too great of a responsibility. Even watching 7th Heaven on TV, I get the jitters on how that guy, let alone any other married, protestant minister can even function when he has kids and a family to take care of. Which brings me to another point. It is a responsibility of a married person to have children and bring them up in Christ. I think that if a priest gets married and has kids, he would have too much of a responsibility. Saturdays and Sundays are times when I like to spend time with my dad either watching football, or any other sport. If he was celebrating mass, then that would take time away from his family and make even more of a stur in the congregation.

tell me if i am wrong… :thumbsup:

[quote=Adam S]Christ asks us discerning the priesthood to give everything to him.

Ive always seen celibacy as a test of that. If you are called to the priesthood, God will give you his grace so you can be celibate, you just have to accept the challenge.

those leaving are saying that they would rather do their own will than Gods will - could it be argued that it is a good priest filter as well??
[/quote]

Great thought!! I agree completely! They were not called by God to be priests in the first place - or they were not committed to it, or they did not 'avoid the near occasion of sin" or … Good heavens - divorce has become that easy (annulment) in most cases within the church, also. Is that a sign that marriage should no longer be a commitment?? I DON"T THINK SO!

(Sorry, you really got me going!)
Angel

[quote=Ani Ibi]I do agree with you, Eireann. The conversation should be had among those who have an interest in the outcome and some authority in the matter. The media are not Catholic. Nor do they have any authority in the matter.
[/quote]

Agreed.

What never ceases to amaze me is the discourtesy of those who choose to take their rebelliousness to the media. The tree is known by its fruit, I suppose.

And me ! :eek: you would think it was a new thing that were hearing, wev’e heard it all before Bishop please change the record, or is the needle stuck ?

BTW, didn’t the Vatican recently pronounce in favour of celibacy for the clergy?

ummmm not sure, Ani lbi but I know this subject has been discussed once or twice on this forum before. :wink:
Your geting this info actually before it even hits the press Monday morning, just the same old clanging cymbal I expect.

Merry Christmas, Eireann! And all you others!

And a Merry Christmas to you and everyone on this forum.

Yet we have Permanent Married Deacons who put in similar hours outside of the regular work day to what celibate priests do.

Married Deacons go to their 8-to-5 secular job all day, and then at night and on the weekends assist at mass and minister to the sick, dying, and shut-ins.

A celibate priest spends his 8-to-5 job all day being a priest – saying mass, and ministering to the sick, dying, and shut-ins. And admittedly does this at night and on the weekends too.

Much like priests, deacons still get called to the hospital in the middle of the night to minister, and often have to take time off of work to assist at funeral masses for those people they are especially close to.

There are really only two ministerial functions that a priest has faculties to perform that a deacon does not – say Mass (confect the Eucharistic Sacrifice, really) and absolve sins (deacons can have faculties to hear confessions, but cannot absolve).

It sounds to me like the clergyman with the family has just as many demands on his time (more perhaps?) as the clergyman who remains celibate.

I really hope one of our esteemed Deacons comes on here and sets me straight. :bowdown2:

The thing is, there really is no tradition in any of the Apostolic Churches (both Latin, Eastern Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox) of allowing Priests TO GET MARRIED. How the discipline could change is married men could be ordained to the Priesthood, which is what the Eastern Churches, both Catholic and Orthodox do. Remember, Anglican/Lutheran clerics who enter into the Church are ORDAINED upon entrance since their orders are not valid in the other ecclesial communities. If the Bishop wants to push for married men to be ordained, well that could be brought up for a potential dialogue. But what he is talking about really could never happen (it could, but there is no historical precedent for it anywhere).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.