married priests

I hope this question fits here. Does anyone know if the Vatican allows married converts to Catholicism to enter the priesthood?

The answer is yes, sort of. There is a protocol by which converts from the Anglican Church who are already priests there may petition to serve as priests in the Catholic Church following conversion. Each case is evaluated on its own merits. I personally know of an Anglican bishop who was received into the Catholic Church, ordained as a priest and who continues to serve the people of God.

By an extension of this protocol some Lutherans have also been considered and entered into the priesthood. It does not extend to other Protestant faith traditions, however.

Deacon Ed

[quote=Deacon Ed]The answer is yes, sort of. There is a protocol by which converts from the Anglican Church who are already priests there may petition to serve as priests in the Catholic Church following conversion. Each case is evaluated on its own merits. I personally know of an Anglican bishop who was received into the Catholic Church, ordained as a priest and who continues to serve the people of God.

By an extension of this protocol some Lutherans have also been considered and entered into the priesthood. It does not extend to other Protestant faith traditions, however.

Deacon Ed
[/quote]

This of course pertains only to those who are already sufficiently “trained” as priests but are not validly Ordained. Some additional training may als be necessary.

[quote=Deacon Ed]The answer is yes, sort of. There is a protocol by which converts from the Anglican Church who are already priests there may petition to serve as priests in the Catholic Church following conversion. Each case is evaluated on its own merits. I personally know of an Anglican bishop who was received into the Catholic Church, ordained as a priest and who continues to serve the people of God.

Deacon Ed
[/quote]

Actually, I think it is slightly different. The Church has for some time (before the Council even) has offered a dispensation to married clergy who convert from Protestant communions on a case by case basis, but which has on occassion been offered to Lutheran, Reformed, Methodist and Anglican clergy. As an extention of that protocol (not the other way around), starting a few decades ago, a simplied dispensation process is being offered to Episcopal (USA) and Church of England (UK) clergy seeking to serve as Catholic priests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.