Marrige Encounter - We went

So, Adam and I had our M.E. weekend. My priest asked that we go before he will convalidate our marrige. Dh is baptized, but non practicing Catholic. He went anyways because he knows it is important to me.

It was really nice to have a weekend away together and not talk about poopy diapers or who’s getting new teeth, or who fell down and bumped their head last week. :rolleyes: Also, we talked about things that we hadn’t before, which was nice.

It did require a lot of writing. And I mean A LOT. Adam is not a writer. Also, they want you to describe your feelings using metaphors, which neither of us is great at, to help your spouse understand your feeling.

What Adam and I learned is that we already communicate very well with eachother. There were no surprises and we found out that we don’t need to describe our feelings with metaphors for the other one to understand. We also found out that setting aside some time each day to connect is going to be very helpful and healthy for us. Also, we were able to let eachother know in a non threatening, non combative, non accusing way how we think we can better our home life.

For me, Adam would like it if we had family dinners all of the time. This is hard because we both work and I don’t get home until 6:30. Adam didn’t realize how tiring it was for me to come straight home and jump into making dinner. So, we are planning meals together now. Adam is learning how to use the cookbook and I have dusted off the crock pot. Already we have noticed a change in the kids behavior and a calmer house hold.

So, marrige encounter didn’t work for us exactly how it is supposed to. We don’t keep up with daily writing. But, we have begun to make changes that are making our family much more peaceful. For that, I am thankful.

Just thought you might want to know how it went. :slight_smile:

Sweetness! I’ll pray for your continued success!

We went as well and while it was a great experience, especially getting away to focus only on each other, we found the one greatest value in the experience was that we communicated in a way we had not (fully) previously, how important our marriage is to each other and how really devoted and dedicated we really are to one another. Over the years that message seemed to not get heard over the noise of raising kids.

We didn’t continue the writing, but the reaffirmation of our committment to one another continues to have lasting effect. Even if you skip the journaling afterward, the weekend is a very much worthwhile experience, and fun to meet other Catholic couples.

Sounds like you had a productive weekend!:slight_smile:

As long as it’s benefiting your marriage, it was worth it. So what if you don’t follow all the “rules.” I am so glad to hear that you and your DH feel more on track with each other.

Prayers for you two to keep it up! :wink:

Exactly! Sounds like it did what it was supposed to, and you DID concentrate on how you communicate. Good job!
And :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to your priest for having the foresight to make sure the marriages he convalidates are going to be as strong as they can! Go Father!!

Thank you all for your support. :slight_smile:

Sorry I haven’t been on for a while. One of the things we discussed during our weekend was that we need to both stop escaping (me to the computer, him to the TV) and spend more quality time as a family. So, I’ll probably be pretty scarce on here. I did want to let you all know though how much I appreciate your prayers and comments. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.