marrige

Does a catholic have to be confirmed to be married in the catholic church?

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but one partner must have made all of their sacraments, in order to be married in the Catholic Church. So, if your the only Catholic spouse then yes you have to finish making that sacrament of confirmation. If your spouse has made all of theirs, then that is usually fine. Please check with your Priest. Also, Please get around to making that Confirmation thru the RCIA. :wink: :smiley:

It is prefered but not required.

It is required. My wife had to get confirmation because it is a canonical requirement by the Church. And when we were at the confirmation, the priest even said during his Homily, “why are you all here? Probably because you’re all getting married except for one.” Indeed there was one 14-ish girl who I would say have faithful parents. Otherwise it was 20-somethings to 30-somethings, obviously trying to fulfill the canonical requirement. The priest then proceeded to do a sermon on the importance of Confirmation and why it shouldn’t have been delayed until just before getting married (one the begs the question why it was delayed in the first place to at least the age of reason, should have been part of Baptism).

Can. 1065 §1. Catholics who have not yet received the sacrament of confirmation are to receive it before they are admitted to marriage if it can be done without grave inconvenience.
§2. To receive the sacrament of marriage fruitfully, spouses are urged especially to approach the sacraments of penance and of the Most Holy Eucharist.

Can.* 1065 §1. Catholics who have not yet received the sacrament of confirmation are to receive it before they are admitted to marriage if it can be done without grave inconvenience.

Please note the term “grave inconvenience”. This means that in ordinary conditions, yes the priest preparing the couple to be married is going to ensure the parties have received Confirmation. He can make a pastoral decision on the matter if necessary under the guidelines his bishop has established.

Grave inconvenience gives lots of leyway, that’s why prefered but not required. There are a large number in which the marriage has to come first. In the case of a convalitation, a Catholic that has a civil marriage must be married in the Church before thay can recieve any sacrament including confirmation. There is also the case that the marriage is at a time when adult confirmation is not happing (usually there done around Pentecost). If the marriage is planned for another part of the year, the marriage is performed with the strong encouragement to be confirmed at the earliest opportunity.

Grave inconvenience is in the eyes of the beholder. In 13 years at the parish I did not see one unconfirmed Catholic denied marriage or be confirmed. That particular canon was very broadly interpreted.

This ^^^^^^^^. It is a common occurance and unfortunatly becoming the norm. Less Catholics than ever are being confirmed, and most don’t realize they should be married by a Catholic priest or deacon in teh church. Most simply go to the beach and have some joe smoe witness their civil marriage.

Most pastors will not even bring it up because they know the couple will run out of the church. I don’t think this is good but it is reality.

As I said, pastoral discretion as guided by his bishop.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.