marrying a protestant.

:confused: :confused: Since my divorce, I have met and fallen in love with a man who is protestant. I never dreamed that this would happen as I always envisioned myself with a Catholic. He has learned many things from me aabout Catholocism and I him in Protestantism. He has no desire to become a Catholic nor I a Protestant. We have many lively conversations and have enjoyed looking through our religious lenses together. He is one of the most devout people I have ever known. I am in the middle of my annullment process and we hope to have our service blessed by both faith groups. I simply can not imagine my life without the sacraments. I do not feel like we would be sinning, but I can’t be sure and mostly my family is not very happy about this situation. Help!::confused:

I can give it to you second hand, that is is okay to marry a Protestant, courtesy of a former principal, but still Notre Dame nun. There are a number of women who seem to be without spouses at Mass on Sunday: I know about one women, who’s husband is a Lutheran and he sometimes attends Mass with her but she has alternated services too, and may still be doing that, with him? My nieces’ husbands, all Protestant of each a different faith, attended Mass with them. One even helped with religious teaching on Sunday mornings. Since the Parish closed, her husband has even preached as some of the former members have decided to have a service in a Methodist building. As he may be most like the dear fellow you want to marry, I know that, as his father is a minister, that he has said that he would never be a Catholic. So, I certainly can understand why he is a central person is this battle that they have with the bishop and the closing of the Parish.

It is not a sin to marry a non-Catholic. But IMO it is not a wise thing to do.

Ask yourselves, can the things that brought you two together transcend (in the long run) the differences in your spiritual history? Can you both respect each other’s spiritual history and not let that effect your lives together?

SARCASM ALERT

Going to 2 different churches is a big problem. Unless the one that gets out first holds a place in line at the cafeteria for the other. :stuck_out_tongue:

Try a Jewish person or or a SDA, at least you could go to church together on different days. Or maybe a Muslim as their services are on Friday. Or maybe a Buddhist. :confused:

Christmas is always a big problem for Catholics, you know we can only sing carols after Christmas. Marrying a Protestent has big advantages, you can put up the tree early, sing carols early. :rolleyes:

Let’s think about this going to Mass thing too. Wow, maybe that gets you off the hook for the Sunday and Holy Day obligations.

And you know the Protestents use oyster crackers and grape juice, they do taste better.

Sure, go ahead, sounds good to me. If you love him that is all that matters anyway. :cool:

SERIOUS ALERT

Have you thought about what faith your children might follow?? If you are past those years then things might be a little easier…teachccd :slight_smile:

Why not? I did and now she’s Catholic :wink:

In the Family Life forum you can find many people who have been down that road. It is a hard road. The CCC speaks of the tragedy of Christian disunity in the heart of the home.

From the CCC

1634 Difference of confession between the spouses does not constitute an insurmountable obstacle for marriage, when they succeed in placing in common what they have received from their respective communities, and learn from each other the way in which each lives in fidelity to Christ. But the difficulties of mixed marriages must not be underestimated. They arise from the fact that the separation of Christians has not yet been overcome. The spouses risk experiencing the tragedy of Christian disunity even in the heart of their own home. Disparity of cult can further aggravate these difficulties. Differences about faith and the very notion of marriage, but also different religious mentalities, can become sources of tension in marriage, especially as regards the education of children. The temptation to religious indifference can then arise.

:thumbsup: http://www.foryourmarriage.org/interior_template.asp?id=20398742

There is a wonderful article on the US Catholic bishops website that actually talks about the spirituality of a marriage and the things you should discuss if you are considering inter-church marriage…inter faith church and even if you are different levels of your spiritual journey. It will also give you more links to open and articles for resources on this very topic. First of all, get you annulment in order before you even consider anything. As far as the church is concerned you are still married until it is thoroughly investigated. Annulments are not automatic. And with all things, keep praying that the right doors will be opened to you and God will lead your way through them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.