Martin Luther and the Mass?

I know that Martin Luther believed in the Real Presence of Christ in Holy Comunion (athough like God in the Burning Bush by Moses) but what did he think about the Sacrifice of the Mass? Did he believe it was a re-presentation of the sacrifice or just that the Presence of Christ was around Holy Comunion?

[quote=J.W.B.]I know that Martin Luther believed in the Real Presence of Christ in Holy Comunion (athough like God in the Burning Bush by Moses) but what did he think about the Sacrifice of the Mass? Did he believe it was a re-presentation of the sacrifice or just that the Presence of Christ was around Holy Comunion?
[/quote]

JWB,

I am not sure what Martin Luther believed about the Sacrifice of the Mass but this is what he and a friend of his said about the Holy Eucharist:

If Christ is truly present in the Bread, why should He not be treated with the utmost respect and even be adored?" Joachim, a friend, added: "We saw how Luther bowed low at the Elevation with great devotion and reverently worshiped Christ. [Mathesius, Table Talk, Leipzig, 1903, 341]

Hope this helps,
Catholicious

Martin Luther rejected the sacrificial meaning of the Eucharist.

He acknowledged that this aspect of the Eucharist was widely embraced by the early Church Fathers, but he could not square this doctrine with his doctrine of faith and works. He held that observing the Eucharist as a sacrifice was a “good work,” and that it failed to recognize that Christ’s sacrifice was once and for all on Calvary.

Thus, he abandoned the sacrificial reality of the Eucharist.

It was a radical break with the entire written history of the Church.

We as Catholics understand that the once and for all aspect of the sacrifice is intact because the sacrifice is eternally celebrated in heaven, and of course God is not bound by time.

The source of these facts is the most excellent book by James O’Connor, The Hidden Manna, first Edition, p. 138.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.