Martin Luther and the Reformation

okay, so was Luther 100% incorrect in what he did and how he reacted?:confused:

tryin to keep up here guys, so just have patience!:ehh:

0 Likes

[quote=kattrocks]Are there biblical reasons against the actions of Martin Luther and the Reformation?

We can think of many reasons of why he was incorrect in what he did, but can we find any evidence in the bible?

I once read that Luther chose the unbiblical way of fixing the problems he saw in the Church. What would the biblical reasons be?
[/quote]

Fr. Carty & Rumble, Radio Replies.

Before he left the Church, he was a member of a religious order,vowed for the love of Christ to poverty,chastity,and obedience. He broke all 3 vows. Vices, whether intellectual or moral, are excuses, not reasons, for leaving the Church.

Luther knew that it was certainly contrary to his duty to God to violate the solemn vows he had made to God, and still more so, to take a Nun from her Convent as his wife.

If a Catholic priest to-day did what Luther did then, the Protestant world would hold up it’s hands in horror, and the newspapers would broadcast it a yet another scandal in the Catholic Church. Picture the heading, “Priest runs away with Nun!”. No one who has an elementary knowledge of the life of Christ and of that of Luther could possibly reconcile them. The majority of those who glorify Luther know little about him save his name. They believe in the legendary Luther, accepting it on trust that he tried to follow the true Gospel. Since Protestants to-day do wish to follow Christ, but the more they do so, the less like Luther they become.

Andy

0 Likes

[quote=kattrocks]okay, so was Luther 100% incorrect in what he did and how he reacted?:confused:

tryin to keep up here guys, so just have patience!:ehh:
[/quote]

It’s complicated. Fact is, there was some reforming needed in the Church back then. However, Luther took what was a noble purpose, that is disciplinary reform (which should have occurred within the Church), and made it into a doctrinal reform from without. Granted, there were also many secular leaders who were all too willing to lend a hand in the matter as well.

I also think that there is evidence that Luther was also somewhat unstable mentally. He suffered from scrupulosity, and as mentioned in the previous post, he broke all his vows and ran off with a nun. Check out a sample of his writing:

Returning to the issue at hand, if your Papist wishes to make a great fuss about the word “alone” (sola), say this to him: “Dr. Martin Luther will have it so and he says that a papist and an *** are the same thing.” Sic volo, sic iubeo, sit pro ratione voluntas. (I will it, I command it; my will is reason enough) For we are not going to become students and followers of the papists. Rather we will become their judge and master. We, too, are going to be proud and brag with these blockheads; and just as St. Paul brags against his madly raving saints, I will brag over these asses of mine! They are doctors? Me too. They are scholars? I am as well. They are philosophers? And I. They are dialecticians? I am too. They are lecturers? So am I. They write books? So do I.

The issue was (IMHO) poorly handled from both sides, but that was no reason to cause schism.

0 Likes

The scriptural passage that refutes Martin Luther and the Reformists/Revolutionists is Galatians:

“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!
As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!”

Note that the “gospel” St. Paul refers to is oral tradition. St. Paul wrote no gospel to the Galatians to which this passage could refer and the first letter to the Galatians is the one in the Bible so he can’t be refering to that.

Thus, St. Paul condemns those who preach a different oral tradition than the one he handed down to the churches. Both the Bible and the early Christian writers faithfully preserve the oral tradition handed down to them by the Apostles.

Martin Luther and the other Reformists/Revolutionists, while having many legitimate criticisms of abuses in the Catholic Church, ultimately preached a different gospel than the one handed down by St. Paul and the other Apostles. A review of the early Christian writers quickly reveals where Martin Luther went astray. That is why he and the other Reformists/Revolutionists are accursed by God and enemies of Jesus Christ.

0 Likes

closed #25
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.