Martin Luther on PBS

anyone watching the PBS documentary about martin luther? can we say, “BIASED”?

I could only watch about an hour of it before I had to go to work, but in that first hour, there was way too much bias and inaccurate statements, to the point where I was sick and frustrated from watching it. Not a single obvious Catholic commentator, but some supposed “experts” from Protestant schools.

Same old, same old bull about “selling indulgences”-but no Catholic to defend the possition. Portrayed the Catholic Church as nothing but a corrupt, power-hungry and money grubbing institution-obvious and flagrant bias. But, what can you expect from liberal PBS-any chance to diss the Church would be welcome by them.

Check out **ANY **documentary on Christianity on **A&E, The History Channel or The Learning Channel.
**They would have us believe that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were lovers and that the Catholic Church is responsible for every great evil in history.
We’ll never get away from that sort of bias. While this fact frustrates me to no end, I find comfort in Jesus’s promise in the Beatitudes in regards to persecution . . .

“Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ” - St. Jerome

Bless you for even attempting to watch it. :banghead:

[quote=ComradeAndrei]Same old, same old bull about “selling indulgences”-but no Catholic to defend the possition.
[/quote]

did they sell indulgences? what do roman catholics say?

It’s impossible to not have a biased worldview on any historical event. Every person, without exception, has a bias: even Catholics.

It’s not bias, in and of itself, that’s bad. It’s the willful distortion of history; and that’s what makes documentaries like this so bad.

We have to recognize that Catholic accounts of the same event would be biased, too.

[quote=frdave20]anyone watching the PBS documentary about martin luther? can we say, “BIASED”?
[/quote]

Was it this?:
decentfilms.com/commentary/luther.html

[quote=DeFide]Was it this?:
decentfilms.com/commentary/luther.html
[/quote]

Of course not; we’re talking about a documentary, not a movie.

[quote=Sacramentalist]Of course not; we’re talking about a documentary, not a movie.
[/quote]

Easy there. I didn’t see it, hence the question.

To all those who are interested in, what I believe is a fair and unbiased study of Martin Luther, please check out:

“Luther: The Rest of the Story”

It is a set of three CD’s by Ken Hensley, a former Baptist, now devout Catholic.

Ken Hensley does not whitewash the corruption in the Church at the time of Luther, and he accurately points out the flaws in Luther’s position. In my opinion, it is the best historical insight into Luther’s background and the climate of the time that triggered the “Reformation”.

You can check out these CD’s and many others at:

saintjoe.com

After I listened to the Luther set by this speaker I then ordered a set of CD’s by him regarding John Calvin, and a set regarding the Baptists. I highly recommend these CD’s for all those who seek a fair and deeper understanding of those times. And, the fact that the speaker is a former Baptist and now a Catholic makes it all the more impressive.

Peace,

Dorothy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.