Martin McGuinness to dine with Queen Elizabeth

Martin McGuinness will attend a banquet hosted by the Queen during next week’s state visit to Britain by Irish President Michael D Higgins.

Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams said the decision had to be viewed against the backdrop of huge political change in recent years.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26903463

May the Peace Process continue to go onward and onward . :thumbsup:

I am not very familiar with the situation, but his attendance at the dinner sounds like it is a step forward.

Yes , such events are very symbolic .

Sinn Féin’s Martin McGuinness has praised the Queen for her “leadership role” in the Irish peace process.

He made the remarks days ahead of an unprecedented state visit to Britain by Irish President Michael D Higgins.

Mr McGuinness said he had been impressed by the British monarch during her highly symbolic state visit to the Republic of Ireland in May 2011.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26912361

May Our Lord protect, sustain and foster Ireland and its people, today and evermore.
Amen.

Hello,

It’s a HUGE step forward! As was the Queen’s visit to Dublin. :slight_smile: Blessed be the Peacemakers.

On a sadder but also healing note; Jean McConville’s alleged murderers will face trial. That was the moment of ‘the Troubles’ which haunted me the most; I, too, would have opened the door to a dying young soldier. May the Holy Spirit work with the accused, their families, Jean’s family and the legal system to bring healing, catharsis and justice to this dark and cruel moment of Irish history.

Diverging a bit…the Queen popping in to see Pope Francis was delightful to see…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.