Martyred in the State of Moral Sin

Hi CAF!

If someone was martyred, but they weren’t in the state of grace when the died, is it presumed that they’d be saved? I know we don’t know anything for sure!

Thank you for answering! :slight_smile:

well, there is the chance of perfect contrition, maybe the Martyt could be thinking something like “God I’m sorry for have offended you, please take my life as a sign of repentance”.

Well no, since by definition, not being in a state of grace when one dies means they go to hell. The way the question is worded, the answer must be no.

Of course, we can never know the state of anothers soul, nor the moments immediately before death, in which God can communicate with a soul and allow for any necessary repentance.

But the above would seem to perhaps be something of a condratiction anyway. Would someone who is not in a state of grace be prepared to face martrydom? Surely such a person has already offered to God the perfect contirion needed to restore them to grace anyway. Or are you asking whether such perfect contrition is implied in the very act? Perhaps this could be the case. Either way, to enter heaven, they must be restored to a state of grace before their death.

Yes, that is more what I was referred to. Is martyrdom an act of perfect contrition, even if one isn’t intended to show recourse for their sins through the act? Say, Max was in the state of moral sin. He was imperfect contrition, but intended to go to confession the following week. However, during the week, he was forced to either deny Jesus or die, and he died. A second scenario that I was thinking about (and the scenario that originally prompted me to post the question) was, taking Mike who hasn’t been to confession in years for whatever reason. He still believes in God and loves him though. He is faced with the same thing as Max, and dies for Christ. Even though he hadn’t been to Confession in years, would his martyrdom wipe away his mortal sin?

I am beginning to think that this may have been better situated for the Philosophy forum… :hmmm:

Either way, I still think there’s an essential contradiction that means such scenarios are not possible. Would God give someone the grace required to accept martyrdom, but fail to see that they are also restored to a state of santifying grace? The love for God required to accept a martyrs death is also sufficient for perfect contrition of any mortal sins, so one might say it is impossible that God would fail to see them restored to grace. On a purely academic level, I don’t know whether this can be achieved through the act of matyrdom itself, or requires an independant act of the will (which God will no doubt allow for anyway).

Sometimes I think we are guilty of coming up with reasons someone cannot gain salvation, rather than considering why God might welcome them into his arms.

Pax Christi!

Bingo!

God’s Grace is great indeed, and never to be underestimated.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.