Marvel redeems itself?

OK, so I am a Marvel geek, I admit. Grew up on the comics.

Hope nothing here is a movie spoiler

I admit I was a little taken back in the movie THOR when Natalie Portman exclaims “Oh… my…god” when she sees Thor in action. I just didn’t think that line really needed to be in there.

So what does Capt America say in the Avengers when someone refers to Thor and Loki as gods? “There is only one God mam’ and I’m sure he doesn’t dress like that!”

Way to go Marvel !! I wonder if that was on purpose?

I think that it was meant to establish CA as a monotheist, so yes.

I think you’re putting too much emotional investment into these movies. :o

Yes, a stock standard protestant:

adherents.com/lit/comics/CaptainAmerica.html

I liked that line too.
But I suspect it was included to underline Captain America’s conservatism and old fashionedness. He’s kind of a 50s guy.

More like a 30’s or 40’s kind of guy as they stuck close enough to the comics to have him be a WW2 veteran. I’ve commented elsewhere that in the comics his parents are Irish immigrants and he was born in the early 1920’s, so there’s a strong possibility he is a nominal Catholic in the comics. Although his exact religion has never been established on panel, although he definitely is a believer in God.

We saw the film this last weekend. I’m in the United States South so several folks cheered and clapped when Cap said this line! :slight_smile:

Movie was sooo much fun! My kids absolutely loved it and it was even better than I knew it would be. :thumbsup:

(My teenager is having trouble deciding which of the guys is the cutest. She loved Black Widow’s character.)

Mark Ruffalo made a very good Banner indeed! Can’t wait to see it again. :smiley:

I’m in CA, and the same thing happened in our theater! :D:thumbsup::clapping:

Movie was sooo much fun! My kids absolutely loved it and it was even better than I knew it would be.

(My teenager is having trouble deciding which of the guys is the cutest. She loved Black Widow’s character.)

Mark Ruffalo made a very good Banner indeed! Can’t wait to see it again.

I agree, SM :slight_smile:

*** Spoiler warning below ****

Folks who don’t like to look for ‘meanings’ in films may want to skip this next part, too :wink:

One theme that jumped out at me was: the poison of Pride. When the Avengers are squabbling and literally fighting each other out of pride, Evil (personified by Loki) rejoices.

Also this sequence from Tony Stark:

Stark: Loki’s a full-tilt diva. He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered…

[pause as this sinks into his mind]

Stark: bleep

:rotfl: Funny, but also a good message! :thumbsup:

My only gripe with this film is that it was all(pretty much the themes, characters and overall plot) done before in Superman 2(especially the “Richard Donner Edit”), with General Zod. In particular the Nuclear Missile sequence(although truth be told it was in Superman 1 and also Superman Returns), and Loki’s obsession with getting people to kneel(“Kneel before Zod!!! ZOOODDDD!!!”, “Now bend your Knees and swear eternal loyalty to Zod!” and many other classic quotes!).

And I thought it was done better in that film… In particular in how Superman rather humbly, outsmarts Zod(and Luthor too) in the finale, by playing off his pride(his one huge weakness) and Luthor’s disloyal nature.

I still liked Avengers, but it didn’t REALLY bring anything new to the “superhero film” table in terms of plot, themes and characters.

I guess however, if you’re going to copy something, you may as well copy the best…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.