Mary: A novel by Sholem Asch

Hi:
Does anyone know anything about this book. Mr. Asch has apparently also written novels called “The Nazorean” and the Apostle. Mary was published in 1949. I’ve only read a bit and the only thing I’ve read that differs from conventional stories about Our Lady is that her father’s name is Hanan, rather than Joachim, and her mother is Hannah (I assume a variant of Hannah).

Does anyone know anything about this book? In my preliminary research I’ve only seen one vehemently negative review (on Amazon), but no specifics as to why the review writer accused Asch of blasphemy.

In a nutshell: Can this book be read by a practicing, traditionally minded Catholic?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
God bless you and yours,

I started reading it once, but when it portrayed Mary as having other children after Jesus, I lost interest and didn’t want to read it any more.

Why not just trust in Jesus and His Catholic Church who tells us Mary was ever virgin!!!1

Think about it, if an angel came to you and you were overshadowed by the Holy Spirit and bore Jesus, the Son of God, as your own son, and you lived with Him for 33 years, through His life, Passion,Death and Resurrection, would you have other children?

I don’t know for sure, but I sincerely doubt it!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.