Mary and grace

I happened to catch a glimpse of a prayer on EWTN today, and while I don’t remember the exact words I seemed to remember something about Mary giving grace. Can this actually be said? I understand that as the Mother of God and being “full of grace” as Gabriel said that grace flows through Mary, but can she actually give grace?

• Cody +

hyperdictionary.com defines grace as:

“The free and unmerited favor or beneficience of God

I’m not certain but it appears that only God can give grace. However, the virgin Mary can ask for graces for people.

[quote=Cody]I happened to catch a glimpse of a prayer on EWTN today, and while I don’t remember the exact words I seemed to remember something about Mary giving grace. Can this actually be said? I understand that as the Mother of God and being “full of grace” as Gabriel said that grace flows through Mary, but can she actually give grace?

• Cody +
    [/quote]

Mary dispenses grace, being called thus the Dispensatrix of all graces, and the grace comes ultimately from God – kind of like how the light of the moon ultimately comes from the sun.

[quote=tuopaolo]Mary dispenses grace, being called thus the Dispensatrix of all graces, and the grace comes ultimately from God – kind of like how the light of the moon ultimately comes from the sun.
[/quote]

Tuopaolo is right. The grace is given to Mary from God.

Matt

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.