Mary and her role? (Multi-Merged)

Do Catholic think too highly of Mary

or

non-catholics not highly enough:shrug:

In my opinion, non-Catholics don't hold her high enough.

[quote="PJM, post:1, topic:311834"]

or

[/quote]

Loaded question as many many protestants that converted to Catholicism have had trouble accepting the devotion that many Catholics pay to her. Such sentiments have been written on this very forum. I have even heard a popular, a very popular convert to the Catholic faith from protestantism refer to Mary repeatedly as nothing more than a mighty prayer warrior.:eek:

On the other hand you do have Catholic groups that have elevated Mary to a near God status. While such things are becoming rarer, they do still occur.

I would say that many non Catholic Christians tend to minimize Marys' role and see her as nothing really special beyond the fact that she was the mother of Jesus.

So in that vein I would say that non Catholic Christians do not think highly enough of her.

It is interesting to note at this point that among non Christian faiths as a whole the most regard paid to Mary is seen in Islam while the least is seen in Judaism.

or

[/quote]

The latter.......

The Apparitions Of The Blessed Holy Virgin Mary
To Millions In The Coptic Orthodox Church
Named After Her, In Zeitoun,
Cairo, Egypt (1968-1970)
zeitun-eg.org/zeitoun1.htm

Protestants i grew up with dont consider her much more than the mother of Jesus, they dont consider her ever virgin, and only talk about her Christmas for the birth of Christ and on mothers day they may mention her.
I am so happy to be working towards Catholicism for my personal religious journey.

I believe Catholics don't even honor her enough...
In my opinion protestants don't think highly of her because they are afraid to accidentally worship her.

=dee burk;10257238]Protestants i grew up with dont consider her much more than the mother of Jesus, they dont consider her ever virgin, and only talk about her Christmas for the birth of Christ and on mothers day they may mention her. \
I am so happy to be working towards Catholicism for my personal religious journey.

Welcome Homw and ALSO to the CAF Forum:thumbsup:

Has anyone read The Mystical City Of God by Verable Mary of Agreda? That book explains so much of the powers and reverance due to the Mother of God!

Something made me think that this thread was going to be about Mary and her role.

:popcorn:

-Tim-

It amazes me that Protestants don't pick up on or they refuse to make the connection or parallell between Mary in the New Testament and the Ark of the Covenant in the Old Testament and then Ark of The Covenant appearing in Heaven that John sees in Revelation. Saint Luke uses identical wording describing the Visitation as written in 1 Samuel 6:1-2 when King David has his first encounter with The Ark of the Covenant, King David and Elizabeth say the exact same thing! And do people think that there are really man made objects in heaven?

[quote="TheReYUI, post:7, topic:311834"]
I believe Catholics don't even honor her enough...
In my opinion protestants don't think highly of her because they are afraid to accidentally worship her.

[/quote]

You really think? I have never heard of that...

[quote="Mike30, post:3, topic:311834"]
Loaded question as many many protestants that converted to Catholicism have had trouble accepting the devotion that many Catholics pay to her. Such sentiments have been written on this very forum. I have even heard a popular, a very popular convert to the Catholic faith from protestantism refer to Mary repeatedly as nothing more than a mighty prayer warrior.:eek:

[/quote]

that **is **an :eek:

On the other hand you do have Catholic groups that have elevated Mary to a near God status. While such things are becoming rarer, they do still occur.

[/quote]

I have been making many trips to a hospital lately, visiting the chapel every time. I can't count how many people kneel and pray to Mary, and not even approach Jesus. This seems odd to me. :confused:

I would say that many non Catholic Christians tend to minimize Marys' role and see her as nothing really special beyond the fact that she was the mother of Jesus.
So in that vein I would say that non Catholic Christians do not think highly enough of her.

[/quote]

Not all though, many thank her and Joseph for saying "yes." :thumbsup:

It is interesting to note at this point that among non Christian faiths as a whole the most regard paid to Mary is seen in Islam while the least is seen in Judaism.

[/quote]

Well, it is more understandable with Judaism.

I would say that many non-Catholics don't give Mary enough thought or credit. She is the Immaculate Conception, the Mother of God, and the Queen of Heaven. Many Catholics do NOT honor her enough, this is true, but as Cheezey pointed out, there are many Catholics who seem to put her above Jesus! When we say "Mary", she says Jesus. This is one of the greatest humble qualities of Mary. In conclusion, I would say that many non-Catholic Christians don't give Mary enough honor.

[quote="jdoggin, post:13, topic:311834"]
I would say that many non-Catholics don't give Mary enough thought or credit. She is the Immaculate Conception, the Mother of God, and the Queen of Heaven. Many Catholics do NOT honor her enough, this is true, but as Cheezey pointed out, there are many Catholics who seem to put her above Jesus! When we say "Mary", she says Jesus. This is one of the greatest humble qualities of Mary. In conclusion, I would say that many non-Catholic Christians don't give Mary enough honor.

[/quote]

As an aside, I prayed to her last night at the hospital. Never had before; even said, "never done this before so understand I am just winging this..." I was brief. But I stepped up to her Son first. Thanked Him. And to His Father, I mentioned how greatful I am that Mary and Joseph did indeed say yes...
:D

In the Byzantine Catholic Church, the Divine Liturgy includes this:

CELEBRANT: Moreover, we offer you this spiritual sacrifice for those departed in faith: the forefathers, fathers, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, preachers, evangelists, martyrs, confessors, ascetics, and for every just spirit brought to perfection in faith. Especially for our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and Ever- Virgin Mary.

The faithful sing:
It is truly proper to glorify you, O Theotokos, the ever-blessed, immaculate, and the mother of our God.
More honorable than the cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim; who, a virgin, gave birth to God the Word, you, truly the Theotokos, we magnify.

[quote="Vico, post:15, topic:311834"]
In the Byzantine Catholic Church, the Divine Liturgy includes this:

CELEBRANT: Moreover, we offer you this spiritual sacrifice for those departed in faith: the forefathers, fathers, patriarchs, prophets, apostles, preachers, evangelists, martyrs, confessors, ascetics, and for every just spirit brought to perfection in faith. Especially for our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and Ever- Virgin Mary.

The faithful sing:
It is truly proper to glorify you, O Theotokos, the ever-blessed, immaculate, and the mother of our God.
More honorable than the cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim; who, a virgin, gave birth to God the Word, you, truly the Theotokos, we magnify.

[/quote]

:yup:

I have come to believe that Mary the Mother of God can be never over devoted (if you know what I mean). Mary brought Christ down from heaven and is by her grace that we even to this day still gain repentance for sins. She is the mother of god and was free from all sin during the conception and so anything that has no sin should be thought highly in the Catholic Church. Just my opinion.

or

[/quote]

It depends on the individual Catholic and the individual non-Catholic.

But GENERALLY speaking, the average Catholic who is appropriately well catechised has a proper understanding of Mary. Unfortunately there are all too many Catholics who are not well catechised and who lack the understanding. A very few of these fall into error by understanding Mary to be something she is NOT (i.e., these very few think of her as being either semi godlike, which she is not). Many more have fallen into the error of , in the name of 'ecumenism' (false ecumenism' thinking of her as being LESS than she is.

GENERALLY speaking many Protestants also think of Mary as 'less' than she is, but many well catechised Protestants have an appropriate understanding of Mary. Of these, many are 'on board' with the Catholic position but some think the Catholic position is 'different', and so seem to disagree based on semantics or through misunderstanding of words.

Of those who think of Mary as 'less' than she is, many do so out of a sincere if misplaced understanding of God. Many of these people have a belief that humanity is inherently depraved and sinful, and so of course they cannot accept that even the Mother of the Lord could be anything but.

If they can be educated to see that appropriate and correct understanding of Mary is important not because of who Mary is, but because of who JESUS is, and that a wrong understanding of Mary means that they have a wrong understanding of JESUS, they often find themselves coming around to a correct understanding. By and large, the more sincere and faithful any person is, even if their faith is 'incomplete', the more likely they will be led to correct understanding through the Holy Spirit, I find.

[quote="Tantum_ergo, post:18, topic:311834"]
It depends on the individual Catholic and the individual non-Catholic.

But GENERALLY speaking, the average Catholic who is appropriately well catechised has a proper understanding of Mary. Unfortunately there are all too many Catholics who are not well catechised and who lack the understanding. A very few of these fall into error by understanding Mary to be something she is NOT (i.e., these very few think of her as being either semi godlike, which she is not). Many more have fallen into the error of , in the name of 'ecumenism' (false ecumenism' thinking of her as being LESS than she is.

GENERALLY speaking many Protestants also think of Mary as 'less' than she is, *but many well catechised Protestants have an appropriate understanding of Mary. Of these, many are 'on board' with the Catholic position but some think the Catholic position is 'different', and so seem to disagree based on semantics or through misunderstanding of words. *
Of those who think of Mary as 'less' than she is, many do so out of a sincere if misplaced understanding of God. Many of these people have a belief that humanity is inherently depraved and sinful, and so of course they cannot accept that even the Mother of the Lord could be anything but.

If they can be educated to see that appropriate and correct understanding of Mary is important not because of who Mary is, but because of who JESUS is, and that a wrong understanding of Mary means that they have a wrong understanding of JESUS, they often find themselves coming around to a correct understanding. By and large, the more sincere and faithful any person is, even if their faith is 'incomplete', the more likely they will be led to correct understanding through the Holy Spirit, I find.

[/quote]

I like this. The Lutheran Fornula of Concord recognises her as the Holy Theotokos, Mother of God, and that she "nevertheless remained a virgin". It appears in the article on the "Person of Christ", where it rightfully belongs.

Jon

Part of the problem and confusion also can be attributed to the fact Catholics offer a sacrifice to God at mass and would NEVER offer that to Mary. Protestants reject the sacrificial offering of the Eucharist. If you take the Eucharist out of the mass then Protestant and Catholic services tend to start looking similar.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.