Mary and Mother’s Day

One of the last Baptist churches I preached at, had a special ‘Mother’s Day’ service which included singing ‘hymns’ about and to our mothers. If I had suggested to these dear people (which I didn’t) to sing hymns to Mary, they would have been horrified at the thought, even though the hymns they sang to their moms were not much different.
Mother’s Day in fundamentalist churches is a BIG deal. For a preacher, to NOT preach a mother’s day sermon is to put his job in jeopardy.
But of all the Mothers Day sermons I heard, not one was about Mary.
As Catholics, why not honor the Mother of God first on Mother’s Day and then honor the mother of our children?
Remember, O gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of Virgins and my Mother; to thee I come, before thee I kneel, sinful and sorrowful; O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

Considering today is also the Solemnity of Pentecost it would be a bit inappropriate to preach on Mary today, although a mention of her as one of those upon whom the Spirit descended on that first Pentecost would be good.

Oh I didn’t realize that today was Pentecost! Praise God! I’m coming back in to full communion with the Catholic Church on Pentecost! :extrahappy:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.