Mary and Purgatory

Dear All,

Yesterday was the Feast of All Souls, and our parish has for some years now celebrated Mass on this Feast to commemorate parishioners who died in the past year. Their families are invited and the names of the deceased are printed on a special program for the Mass. Before Mass a family member is asked to light a large votive candle on a table near the altar steps. After the Homily there is a time for remembrance and as each name is spoken from the ambo, the pastor standing at the foot of the altar gives a while rose to a family member.

This is a long introduction to the title of this thread but let me explain why I was thinking especially of Mary our Mother after this Mass, in a way slightly different from other times. This past year four Auxiliary Members of our parish’s Legion of Mary Praesidium passed away: two women and two men. Each of them had a fervent love for Mary, and I knew that Mary is always interceding for all her children so if they were not there in heaven with her, I felt they must be very close. :slight_smile:

I continued to think of Mary during the day, also, because it was the First Saturday of November and I wanted to “keep her company” as she had requested of Sr. Lucia. Perhaps you remember the apparition of 1925 and Lucia’s words describing it:

…“Look, My daughter at My Heart surrounded by thorns with which ungrateful men pierce Me at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console Me and announce in My Name that I promise to assist at the moment of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months shall confess, receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary, and keep Me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the fifteen mysteries of the Rosary with the intention of making reparation to Me.”

What a Mother Mary is! How she longs to bring her children closer to God, and yet how many return her love? She asks us to meditate on the mysteries of the Rosary so we may learn how much God loves us and to see how He worked not only marvels in her life but He sent His Son Who suffered, died, rose and ascended into heaven that we might see Him work marvels in our lives as well. How many are in Purgatory being purified from imperfections they might have been purified from here on earth, had they only listened to Jesus and Mary, prayed, and learned to live in His Love.

Mary, Refuge of sinners, pray for us, and for all the souls in Purgatory.

So very true. I continue to scratch my head when I see such negativity towards her, especially from other Catholics. I would highly encourage those who struggle with Mary to read what the Church Fathers taught about her from the early centuries on. And read Blessed John Paul ll’s Redemptoris Mater. Then hopefully they’ll have a clearer understanding of the richness and beauty that is our Mary!..God Bless You MariaChristi!
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_25031987_redemptoris-mater_en.html

Peace, Mark

Indeed a sad thing isnt it? How Protestants and other Catholics sometimes try to marginalize her. Protestants I think most often are so afraid of worshiping a creature that they almost feel guilt just when mentioning her name (They dont see the huge differance in venerating and worship). through heretical propaganda from all the way back from Luther himself they have been robbed of their mother (even though it wasnt Luthers idea, He started the Avalanche). Its so so sad that bad mens insecurety has ruined so many Peoples relationship to Mother Mary.
As for other Catholics I think that they havent tried to approach her, becouse if they had they would never ever stop praying to her. She is a tremendous Resource and we are so blessed to have her as Our Mother :slight_smile:

**Seek the Blessed Virgin and you will find Jesus. **

Actually Luther himself never stopped venerating Mary and discouraged his own followers from not venerating her as well. Many Protestants are very scrupulous when it comes to what they perceive as idols. However, many are also reconsidering this. Let’s continue to pray for them. I think the more they learn of the true Church with full sacraments and full deposit of faith, the more they will realize there is absolutely no reason to not come and join us in full communion.

And so we pray for all Christians to be united. That’s what will save our Country I think. God Bless, Memaw

Dear jritenour,

Thanks for your prayerful reply. Yes, I agree: “the more they (non Catholics) learn of the true Church with full sacraments and full deposit of faith, the more they will realize there is absolutely no reason to not come and join us in full communion”. So much depends, however, on their “open” hearts and minds to receive the grace of God. Without Him, we can do nothing!

Let us continue to unite our prayers to the prayer of Jesus (John 17) that all may be one.
By His Grace may we also give good example to all those we meet. One of the biggest obstacles to conversion may well be the poor witness of some Catholics in their everyday lives. May Our Lady continue to intercede of us all now and at the hour of our death.

Dear HeadingBackHome,

Thanks for your love for Our Mother and for your reply. It is sad, yet Mary follows the example of her Son – He too was rejected. Nevertheless she doesn’t stop loving any more than Jesus stopped loving those who put Him to death. With Him, she unites her own heart pierced, and prays, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

Let us love her more and more. Let us continue to pray the Rosary with attention and devotion, pondering the mysteries that we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise through Christ our Lord. Let us offer many prayers with Mary, especially during this month of November for the poor souls in Purgatory, and continue to pray for the souls in Purgatory, as Mary does, every day throughout the year.

Jesus gave Mary to us from His cross, let us do as St. John did and take her not just to our homes but into our lives. May we open our hearts and minds to hear His words more deeply : “Behold your Mother”.

AMEN!! God Bless, Memaw

Thanks Memaw, for your “Amen” :slight_smile: God bless you too!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.