Mary and the Big 7

I did a search for this, but nothing came up.

If this has been posted somewhere then say so, so this doesnt turn into a double thread.

My question is did Mary partake in the Sacraments?
Was she baptized?
Take Communion?
Go to Confession?
Confirmed?
etc.

I dont think there are any passages that say she did, unless you count the places where groups of Christians got together and baptized many and converted many and she was one of the people there.
It seems to me like there was no need for her to. So what is it?

[quote=Catholic Dude]I did a search for this, but nothing came up.

If this has been posted somewhere then say so, so this doesnt turn into a double thread.

My question is did Mary partake in the Sacraments?
Was she baptized?
Take Communion?
Go to Confession?
Confirmed?
etc.

I dont think there are any passages that say she did, unless you count the places where groups of Christians got together and baptized many and converted many and she was one of the people there.
It seems to me like there was no need for her to. So what is it?
[/quote]

[list=1]
*]Baptism was unnecessary for her as it is done for the rectification of original sin, which she was saved from in an anticipatory application of grace. Since she did not need to be saved from original sin, baptism was unnecessary for her.
*]Confirmation. Her confirmation came when she told St. Gabriel “Let it be done to me according to the Lord.”
*]Eucharist. Though the bible is not explicit about it, it is assumed that she lived the rest of her life in close connection with the Apostles, and would therefore have participated fully in the Christian life. It was her son after all that was sacrificed.
*]Confession. Mary lived a sinless life, so the periodic remission of sins was unnecessary. This goes back to the fact that she was conceived without the stain of original sin, and its accompanying propensity to commit actual sin.
*]Holy Orders. This is interesting. Mary is the original “nun”. Her life was spiritually dedicated to serving the mission of her son, although she wasn’t ordained in any sense of the word.
*]Marriage. Mary participate in matrimony to St. Joseph, although the union was never consumated, and it is assumed that she never remarried after his death.
*]Annointing of the Sick. It can be assumed that just before her death she was annointed by whatever Apostle or church leader was arround, though not for the remission os sin, but rather as an expression of her full union with and submission to the Church.
[/list]

Good stuff SL,

Like I said, I dont see why she would have to, thats why I asked. But you bring up a good point in the sense that she did partake in them, except not in the way were used to.

So a new question would be was Mary actually the first person to partake in the Sacraments?

Jesus did not need to be baptized but He was. How does the lack of need mean she did not do it. As many have brought up, Mary followed the Jewish Law even though she had no need for a “sin” offering. I am having trouble seeing why she also would not have followed the teachings that tells us you must be baptized.

God Bless,
Maria

[quote=MariaG]Jesus did not need to be baptized but He was. How does the lack of need mean she did not do it. As many have brought up, Mary followed the Jewish Law even though she had no need for a “sin” offering. I am having trouble seeing why she also would not have followed the teachings that tells us you must be baptized.

God Bless,
Maria
[/quote]

Jesus was baptized by St. John the Baptist. This was different from the sacramental baptism of the Apostles.

In Mark 1:8 John the Baptists said: “I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the holy Spirit.”

So a new question would be was Mary actually the first person to partake in the Sacraments?

There is a great mystery behind the Fiat of the Blessed Virgin. Oh how holy and perfect She is!

Her “Fiat” according to the Holy Father was an anticipation of the holy Eucharist. Where Christians receive the Eucharist (Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity) in communion, the Holy Mother already received the Lord “fully” in her sacred womb at the moment of Jesus conception. She indeed is the model of all Christians–in fact she herself was the first Christian.

Oh how beautiful and lovely is the Queen Mother of God!

Pio

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.