Mary and the Day She Lost the Son of God...

I was just watching a movie depicting the life of Jesus called (whaddya know) ‘Jesus’. Interesting though there are somethings in this mini-series that I really don’t perscribe to. Anyhow, the scene came of the famous story where when Jesus was a child Joseph and Mary left Him in Jeruselum thinking He had gone ahead and an amusing thought jumped into my head…

I can only imagine what was going through Joseph and Mary’s minds as they raced around trying to find Jesus. I know I would be thinking ‘Oh my goodness! God is going to strike me down with lightning… I can’t believe I just lost the Son of God!’… Man, I would be sweating bullets and be about ready to have a heart attack!

Sorry, just had to share the thought… :smiley:

hehe

Well, of course it explains why Mary was a wee bit upset with Jesus when he was found again!

But the episode has deeper meaning - it’s a prefiguring of Easter (think about it - going up to Jerusalem for Passover, ‘missing’ for three days, found again on the third day).

It’s also Jesus’ first independent declaration of himself as Messiah and Son of God - that Joseph wasn’t his father, but God the Father. That’s why it was necessary ‘business’ that had to happen.

:tiphat:

Awesome reply.

I have a question that might go along with this thread: When Mary and Joseph find Jesus in the temple, he says something to the effect of “Why did you seek me? Did you not know I would be about my Father’s business?”

Scripture then says that Mary and Joseph did not understand what Jesus was talking about.

This is confusing to me. Didn’t Mary & Joseph know he was the Son of God? :shrug:

Of course they knew - they were very clearly told that he was. They didn’t understand the purpose behind the particular event of his staying behind in the Temple, and how and why it was ‘the Father’s business’ at that time for him to do it, that’s all.

Just like the Apostles knew he was the Son of God (at least after Peter said) but didn’t understand every single thing he did or said until he explained it after the Resurrection.

Amen!

And do we really still know all?

:wink:

Which, of course, leads to the response to a common “bumper sticker theology” question:
Q: Have you found Jesus?
A: Why? Is He missing?

:slight_smile:

When I pray the 5th Joyful Mystery (like I should be doing right now, instead of wasting time here :rolleyes: ), I always have the same thought. I see Mary, trying hard not to freak out- but dang! To have lost the Incarnation? I mean, that’s pretty big.

Ok, off to pray my Rosary- thanks for the visual reinforcement!

“…and his mother said to him, ‘Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.’” Luke 2:48.

Anyone else think this might actually be a paraphrase of what Mary may have said? Seems kind of calm for a mom who lost her kid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.