Mary and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today, re-reading a section in Vol. Two of: “The Three Ages of the Interior Life” by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P., I was blessed again in reading these words in Chapter 24:

To enter the depths of the Mass we must place ourselves in the school of the Mother of God. More than anyone in the world, Mary was associated with the sacrifice of her Son, sharing in all His sufferings in the measure of her love for Him…By a most intimate experimental knowledge and by the greatness of her love, Mary at the foot of the cross entered the mystery of the redemption more than did St. John, St. Peter, or St. Paul. She entered it in the measure of the plentitude of Grace which she had received; in the measure of her faith, of her love, of the gifts of understanding and wisdom which she had in a degree proportionate to her charity…

There is more but I wanted to share this much because it was a help in reinforcing my desire to be “with Mary” at the foot of the Cross, especially at the Consecration of the Mass. Anyone else have similar thoughts? Maybe Father’s words will be a help to you also?

The most perfect human God ever created. “Be it done to me according to your word” - made Mary the first to offer herself as a living sacrifice for the sake of her Son.

Yes, and thanks for that beautiful reply, po18guy! No wonder Mary is proclaimed : “Mother and Model of the Church” ! :slight_smile:

Do you actually read this @MariaChristi? Because, well…It is a difficult book.

Dear adgloriam,

Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange is one of the authors I continually return to because he is so steeped in God’s Revelation through Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium. He is a Dominican Priest who taught theology at the Angelicum in Rome for many years. He has authored many books and I’ve read several. Some I’ve read more than once because they hold so much wisdom.

His way of showing the resonance between St. John of the Cross and St. Thomas Aquinas is unique it seems to me, I haven’t read as many theological books and do not have the facility with other languages as Father and many other real scholars. I do believe however that every Baptized Catholic is infused with the Theological Gifts of Faith, Hope and Charity, and thus set on the path to holiness in the perfection of Charity.

God created us unique and unrepeatable and so we each have different gifts to build up the Body of Christ. This is a long intro to answering your brief question. Yes I have read both volumes of : “The Three Ages of the Interior Life” and while it may be difficult in some parts, I believe if we prayerfully re-read those parts, God enables us to understand more each time. We are never exactly the same persons each day because hopefully we are asking and receiving new graces and growing in holiness. :slight_smile:

For an easier, more contemporary book, written by a Catholic layman for laity especially but also clergy, religious and even non Catholics may be helped by it is: “The Ordinary Path to Holiness” by R. Thomas Richard. See [HERE]
(https://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Path-Holiness-Thomas-Richard/dp/0818909137?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0818909137)
The introduction was written by the late Father Benedict Groeschel, who also wrote on the stages of groth in the Spiritual Life. Good Spiritual Reading is so important. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks much for your reply, adgloriam! Your words remind me of how uniquely God creates each soul. Each of us, called to holiness by God in the perfection of charity, continue our journey: “asking, seeking and knocking on the door” that we may “receive Him, find Him and that He open the door” to more (cf Mt. 7:7-11) for us, and by the power of His Holy Spirit we may “come into all Truth” (cf John 16:13).

The Scriptures are primary sources for me, but I’ve always loved the writings of the saints, for truly God shares His Wisdom with saints in every age for the good of His people. I’ve read St. Louis de Montfort’s True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin many times and continue to go back and learn more! I trust you are continuing to read the writings of the saints on Mary. Some people find St. Louis de Montfort difficult too, but I have found his Preparation for Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary to be similar to the growth in stages which other saints, such as, St. Bernard, St. Catherine of Siena and St. Thomas Aquinas also describe, and as Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange does in his "Three Ages of the Interior Life: The beginners stage, the intermediate stage and the stage of the perfect. Each may describe the growth in slightly different ways, but the truth remains for each of the Saints was guided by the Holy Spirit.

I’d be interested to hear from you on the Marian books you will be reading and how they may be helpful. I’ve read several but always go back to St. Louis de Montfort. :slight_smile:

thank you for sharing that\

dr scott hahn, also has some great essays on Mary

we love her;

Thanks, brian,

My husband is a graduate of Franciscan University; he graduated from there with a Masters in Theology. I sat in on some of his classes when I wasn’t substitute-teaching in a Catholic Elementary school nearby. I was so impressed with Scott Hahn’s love for his students and how he encouraged them in their theology classes, telling them they were handling “jewels” in learning their Catholic Faith. As a convert, Dr. Hahn has been blessed, as has his wife Kimberly, in learning to love Mary our Mother as they had not known her so well before their conversion to Catholicism.

I think my husband and I came to know the work of Father Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P. from another teacher at Franciscan who taught a summer course, Father Frederick Miller, whom I’ve seen also on EWTN giving an excellent series on Mary, some years ago. In his summer course at Franciscan, Father Miller used Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange’s smaller version of the “Three Ages of the Interior Life” – it is really a summary of the 2 volume work and is in paperback with a slight change in title; the shorter version is a small paperback entitled: The Three Ways of the Spiritual Life.

So happy to know you love Mary, brian, and happy for all who love her more and more each day!

imo, dr scott hahn has been the greatest evangelist since Paul

Maybe this quote will be useful.

[When asked if the Blessed Virgin is present during the Holy Mass], “Yes, she places herself at a side, but I can see her, what a joy. She is always present. How can it be that the Mother of Jesus, present in Calvary at the foot of the Cross, who offered her Son as a victim for the salvation of our souls, not be present in the mystical Calvary of the altar?” - St. Pio of Pietrelcina

When I read The Glories of Mary there was a part on the Presentation of Jesus and the way it described how Mary offered Him seemed similar to the celebration of the Mass.

That’s high praise, brian! Like St. Paul, Dr. Hahn received God’s Grace to turn from what he “thought” was right and he began to follow the fullness of Truth in Jesus. :slight_smile:

Dr. Hahn’s ministry at St. Paul Center is a beautiful one and much need in the Church for so many Catholics do not know the Scripture as well as we need to know God’s Word. As St. Jerome wrote: “Ignorance of Scripture is Ignorance of Christ”.

Dear adgloriam,

Thanks again for continuing on this thread. St. Louis De Montfort’s Toatal Consecration to Jesus through Mary was first presented to me by my High School Religion Teacher, a Dominican nun, who also was the Spiritual Director of our Junior Legion of Mary at that Catholic School.

She invited us to consecrate ourselves, according to St. Louis De Montfort’s “Act of Total Consecration”, but we did not (at least looking back on that experience) make the 33 Day Preparation but simply went to the Church and prayed our Act of Consecration before the Blessed Sacrament. It was not until sometime later that I read the whole of St. Louis De Montfort’s treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” and began to appreciate the depth of his writing.

God has been very Patient with me throughout my life, teaching me more year by year : how great a gift Mary is not only to me personally (and Mary IS a very special gift to me) but Mary was given to all of us by Jesus from the cross in saying to John, “Behold your Mother”!

He has given me many opportunities, many persons in my life to help me and He has led me to seek and find Him especially in His revelation of Himself in Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium of the Church. Total Consecration to Him, through Mary, has been one of the most important graces He has given me. I think that is why I so appreciate the writing of St. Louis de Mntfort – he is a saint who is “steeped” in scripture.

I’m happy you mentioned Fatima because I believe that particular Apparition of Mary to the three shepherd children is so significant in our time. Pope Emeritus (Benedict XVI) said that it is an “ongoing prophecy” or words similar to that phrase. I’m mindful of Mary’s words that in the end, her Immaculate Heart will triumph. Perhaps you have already read Pope Benedict’s Theological Commentary on the Message of Fatima. It is at the very end of that long document which Pope St. JPII asked then Cardinal Ratzinger to write as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. It is worth reading. Of course anything Pope Benedict writes continues to bless me. :slight_smile:

By God’s Grace, may we continue to ask that we may receive Him, seek that we may find Him and knock on the door that He open to us and fill us with ALL Truth, as He prmoised. (cf Mt 7:7-11 and cf Jn 16:13) Thanks again for your replies!

Dear OsculeturMeOsculo,

Thanks so very much for that quote from St. Padre Pio! Let me repeat it for those who may have missed it: When asked if the Virgin is present during the Holy Mass,

“Yes, she places herself at a side, but I can see her, what a joy. She is always present. How can it be that the Mother of Jesus, present in Calvary at the foot of the Cross, who offered her Son as a victim for the salvation of our souls, not be present in the mystical Calvary of the altar?” - St. Pio of Pietrelcina

I have never had that “vision” but only by the eyes of faith do I know Mary is there at every Mass and I stand with her at the foot of His Cross, to offer myself with Jesus and Mary to the Father. I agree whole-heartedly with this saint who did see her – "How can it be that the Mother of Jesus, present in Calvary at the foot of the Cross, who offered her Son as a victim for the salvation of our souls, not be present in the mystical Calvary of the altar?”

Yes it is not only merely “useful” but this quote strengthens the grace in my own heart to know by faith the Mass is the same sacrifice as the sacrifice on Calvary – The Same Priest - The Same Victim – the Same Sacrifice . As Pope St. John Paul II said (Oct. 30, 1982 to a group of Legion of Mary Members in Italy):

…Where the Mother is, there too is the Son. When one moves away from the Mother, sooner or later he ends up keeping distant from the Son as well. It is no wonder that today, in various sectors of secularized society, we note a widespread crisis of faith in God, preceded by a drop in devotion to the Virgin Mother…

Yes, thanks again, OsculturMeOsculo, I also read a good commentary on the “Presentation of Jesus in the Temple” which likened the offering of Jesus by Mary to the Father as a foreshadowing of Calvary.

Pondering the Fourth Mystery of the Rosary, I often use a book of Icons and Commentary to focus my attention on scene depicting the mysteries. Continuing to ponder that insight. I believe Mary may have begun to hear the Old Testament prophecies of the suffering servant more deeply, when Simeon told her that Jesus would be a sign of contradiction and her heart too would be pierced.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.