Mary and the Resurrection of Jesus

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today is the Day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice in it! Alleluia! Alleluia!

How blessed are we who have been called and baptized into Christ -- into His Life, Death, Resurrection and Ascension! He is our Way, our Truth and Our Life, now; and by His Grace, He will be ours for all Eternity.

Mary our Mother is not mentioned in the Gospel accounts of the Resurrection, and yet we know that her union with Jesus was most perfect. What may we learn from this? For me, it is the conviction that our Life in Baptism which gave us freedom from sin, has set us on our own path to Resurrected Glory. Mary, preserved from all sin from the moment of her conception was uniquely blessed and kept sinless by virtue of her exalted vocation as Mother of God. Her life on this earth, however, was ordinary and she too needed to grow in Faith, Hope and Charity.

She who held the Incarnate God within her womb, still did not understand completely the mysteries she experienced with Him. We who are privileged to receive the same Jesus, Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity in Holy Communion, cannot understand completely the wondrous mysteries of His Love which we experience, but like her we can keep His Word and ponder in our hearts, trusting Him to reveal more and more as we give more of ourselves to Him. We can, as she did, say "Yes" to all His Will permits, and we can remain in His Love -- always by His Grace.

Today's reading from Col.3:1-4 is an encouragement to live the Risen Life with Jesus and Mary now:

… If then you were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Think of what is above, not of what is on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ your life appears, then you too will appear with him in glory.

Let us pray, with grateful and trusting hearts, seeking what is above. May our lives, hidden as Mary was in ordinariness, be known dearly to God:

O Jesus living in Mary
O Jesus, living in Mary,
come and live in thy servants,
in the spirit of thy holiness,
in the fullness of thy might,
in the truth of thy virtues,
in the perfection of thy ways,
in the communion of thy mysteries.
Subdue every hostile power
in thy spirit,
for the glory of the Father.
Amen.

Most beautiful and thought provoking post! May you and your family have a Most Blessed and Happy Easter!

God Bless, Mark

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your reply. As I pondered further, after writing my post yesterday, I thought more about those who were mentioned in the Gospel accounts of the Resurrection. How important Mary Magdalen is as a witness! She, a known sinner, touched by God to become a follower of Jesus, was sent to tell His disciples she had seen Jesus alive. How perfect God’s plan of Love! He has Mercy on Whom He has Mercy and He sends us to share His Merciful Love! The Church has such need of witnesses!

Ah yes, Mary Magdalen, the first witness! I believe it was St.Thomas Aquinas who referred to Mary Magdalen as “the apostle of the apostles.” One of my favorite Saints, St.Therese of Lisieux spoke highly of her as well. For sure, the women didn’t abandon Jesus in the hour of his passion. It truly is something wonderful to ponder indeed, what she experienced on that first Easter morning! Your thoughts on this are beautiful!

Peace, Mark

Thank you for this post!

Dear Mark,

Thanks again for your reply. How important it is for all of us to admit we are sinners and have received the Good News of Jesus! We are freed from the bondage of sin, and like Mary Magdalen we are seeking Jesus - Risen and Alive for us and for all the world to find life in Him!

My husband and I have some family members who are “recovering alcoholics” and when we witnessed one of their “testimonies” at an AA meeting, both of us were blessed with the same thought - what if members of the Church had that kind of humility? What if we could stand and say “Hello, my name is N_____ and I’m a sinner”. The AA is a good model for the kind of encouragement to live a “new life” that we need to keep encouraging in the Church. We were not saved by Jesus for a life of mediocrity but for heroic virtue. We are called to live His Life!

But I’m preaching to the choir here, I think, dear brother, in writing this to you. Perhaps some "lurkers’ on the Forum, however, may read this and our threads on Mary Mother of Mercy and find hope. Let us continue please to pray for one another, and for all those in most need of His Mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.