Mary? Any Questions?

I welcome anyone who has any questions/comments about the Blessed Virgin Mary. I will do my best to clear up any cobwebs.

Charles
[SIGN]MARY???[/SIGN]

I am not Catholic, but I do want to convert some day. I am not confused about Mary at all I totally get it. When I am hurting from a Braxton Hicks contraction I pray the Hail Mary until it is over, strange but it works. When I am scared or worried about the custody battle going on with my exhusband over my first two babies I pray it until I feel better.

Is this an abuse of the prayer? I suppose my quetion is, am I allowed to do this? :confused:

Mary is your Mother because Christ is your brother. Approach her as you would your natural mother. There is nothing wrong with your prayer. In fact, it’s the total opposite. You’re doing a great thing.
Why don’t you start praying the Rosary? If you need any help, please contact me again.

Peace be with you,

Charles

Charles

I am scared of the Rosary, I am afraid I am going to do it wrong, and therefore disappoint/upset the Father. I would need the little book I checked out of the library to pray the Rosary… How do ya’ll remember all those prayers?

We remember all the prayers because we say them so often. Practice makes perfect. However, God is never disappointed with our prayers. You are not going to upset him if you pray the Rosary “wrong”. He is happy to hear from you. Sincere prayer is never wrong. So don’t be scared to pray the Rosary. :slight_smile:

BTW, there are many websites on how to pray the Rosary and you can print it out.

You know, it’s really nice to see posts like yours. A lot of people take for granted their familiarity with and comfort within the Catholic faith. There’s an element of awkwardness and hesitance during the conversion process, and it’s quite reassuring to have someone say “hey, it’s ok!” even if it’s not all done exactly right. So, thanks! :slight_smile:

Fear not, for He is with you!! Praying the Rosary is praying the Gospel, and the Father is never going to be disappointed at someone doing their best to contemplate the Mysteries of Christ! It is OK to look at a book or even a website with meditations while you pray the prayers. That is how I do it and it keeps my mind very focused on the meditation. Sometimes you’ll find a book or a website that has a short meditation for each Hail Mary and Our Father. I can forward links for any who are interested.

The thing about the Rosary is that you need to practice praying it. The more comfortable you get with the prayers, the easier it is to meditate on the Mysteries. But God knows your heart and knows you are trying. Don’t worry if you “mess up”, just redirect your mind back to what you are doing each time. You’ll get the hang of it!

Hi Terri!
Charles told you right and I know what you mean.

Here’s a link to a great Rosary site at EWTN. How To Pray the Rosary
The peace of the Lord be always with you.

As another alternative, I suggest the Virtual Rosary. It is a free computer program that you can download, and takes you step by step through each of the prayers and meditations of the Rosary. You can visit the website at the following link:

Virtual Rosary

And may God Bless you on your journey.

Dr. Edward “Ted” Sri has a great book on the Rosary. It is a great read. It is called “The New Rosary In Scriptures: Biblical Insights for Praying the Twenty Mysteries”.

If yiou ever get a chance to see him speak about this, he is awesome.

You’re welcome, jand God bless you on your journey home.

I was worried about that too when I first converted. Its been 4 years and I still use the books/pamplets. I also have a cd which is very handy in the car. You cant disapoint the Father if you are making an honest effort. He likes that. Be patient you’ll learn it. :thumbsup:

J.M.J.
cat3gs

That is so COOL :smiley: I got it for my palm pilot! and my sis is going to be sooooo envious. I’ll take my connector and download it to hers when I see her next week.

Thank you all for your kind words. I thikn I’ll pray the Rosary this evening before I go to bed. I am so very nervous, but after I do it I suppose I won’t be nervous anymore. ::o

Hi,

Could you provide me with some links where the Church officially condemns what we call Mariolatry?

Hi,

First, congratulations for the news about your baby. God bless him/her and may yiu have a safe delivery.

Now, re: the Rosary. You don’t need to be scared or to remember all the prayers. remember, Catholics too prayed the Rosary for the first time in their lives. We weren’t born knowing the prayers. There are six main prayers: the Sign of the Cross, the Lord’s Prayer, the Hail Mary,
the Glory be …, and, the "Oh, my Jesus …
At first, just read them. After a while, without even trying, you will find that you will start to know them by heart. I feel I haven’t told you enough. So, please, contact me again.

God bless,

Charles

PS What do you mean when you say you are afraid of upsetting the Father?

Just afraid to do it wrong and make God angery. Last thing I want to do is make him angery, but like I said I downloaded that program, and it seems like it should be easier to use then the books. We’ll see…

Thanks for all your kind words.
~T

Terry… you have absolutelly nothing to be worried about… :hug1:

I’m glad that I could be of some help. Also, don’t be nervous, just pray from the heart. I know saying the prayers while meditating on the mysteries can be a little difficult at first…but before you know it, you’ll have it down and be able to do it without even thinking about it. :slight_smile:

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"Idolatry

2112 The first commandment condemns polytheism. It requires man neither to believe in, nor to venerate, other divinities than the one true God. Scripture constantly recalls this rejection of “idols, [of] silver and gold, the work of men’s hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see.” These empty idols make their worshippers empty: "Those who make them are like them; so are all who trust in them."42 God, however, is the "living God"43 who gives life and intervenes in history.

2113 Idolatry not only refers to false pagan worship. It remains a constant temptation to faith. Idolatry consists in divinizing what is not God. Man commits idolatry whenever he honors and reveres a creature in place of God, whether this be gods or demons (for example, satanism), power, pleasure, race, ancestors, the state, money, etc. Jesus says, "You cannot serve God and mammon."44 Many martyrs died for not adoring "the Beast"45 refusing even to simulate such worship. Idolatry rejects the unique Lordship of God; it is therefore incompatible with communion with God.46

2114 Human life finds its unity in the adoration of the one God. The commandment to worship the Lord alone integrates man and saves him from an endless disintegration. Idolatry is a perversion of man’s innate religious sense. An idolater is someone who "transfers his indestructible notion of God to anything other than God."47 "

These are some questions I have that came up in another thread that I think would be better discussed here.

1. What is the evidence for Mary’s “Glorious Assumption”. Where did this belief originate?

2. What is the evidence for Mary’s “Perpetual Virginity” and why is it important to Catholic doctrine that she was forever a virgin? Didn’t she have other children after Jesus?

I ordered a book today off of Amazon that might answer these but I just can’t wait!

Thanks for your info:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.