Mary Apparitions

Hello everyone!

I just had a real quick question related to the Apparitions of Mary.

Being very fond of my heavenly Mother Mary, I have lately gotten into reading books and information on her many apparitions. From Lourdes all the way to Medjugorje. Yet I know many have not yet been approved by the church and many have been seen as not really apparitions from Mary. Does anyone know if there is a website or a book where I can see which ones are truly from Mary and the ones that are dispproved.

Thanks in advanced and God Bless!

Jennifer

Lourdes, Fatima, La Salette, and Knock are considered to be valid.

I know that Medugorje and Garabandal have been declard by the local church authorites to be not supernatural.

Others, so far as I know, are still under investigation.

Try looking here. If it aint on this list (like Medjugorje isn’t) then proceed with extreme caution.
Having been in your shoes once, when I went through a period of intense research on Marian apparitions, I’d advise you to actually steer clear of materials promoting Medjugorje or Garabandal or any other apparition that isn’t on the list.

HTH.

Thanks so much to both of you!!! This is exactly what I am looking for.

Once I became very interested in the apparitions, I went to my grandfather who has also always been interested in them. He lent me some of his books of the apparitions such as the “Scottsdale message”, in some of the pages in the books, I don’t know I get the feeling that this isn’t what it should be (You know how you get those little voices in your head saying it isn’t the right thing). so i decided to get some info but I couldn’t really find any except some people saying that certians apparitions are ture and some of them are not.

Anyways, Thanks to you both so much and God Bless

Here’s another link (regarding false apparitions - including Scottsdale):

unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/FalseApparitions.html

Ohhh thanks so much! You guys are so sweet!

Why sterr clear of pro-Medjugorje material? Though the bishop does not believe that it is true, Pope JP II went to Medjugorje twice. I can understand approaching it with caution, as you should any apparition. However, Medjugorje has not done anything that would be contrary to Catholicism, such as it has not introduce new divine revelation (new doctrines). Again, I understand proceeding with caution, but to totally steer clear?

Yeah, steer clear is my advice. Be prudent.

If the Church wanted to approve Medjugorje, then it would have been approved. There has been more than enough opportunity over the past 28 years. (If the Church ever does change her position and approve Medjugorje, then my position on this will also change.)

As it stands now though…there are plenty of wonderful approved Marian apparitions out there that we can believe in with the guarantee that they won’t, in and of themselves, harm us spiritually. The Church makes no such guarantee with Medjugorje, so it’s just not worth the risk. Your faith is too precious.

They can’t approve Medjugorje because it’s still going on. They cannot approve a vision until it is over. I agree to be prudent, but I think that to totally steer clear of an appirition (not even read pro stuff about it) would be taking it a little far. Read both sides is my advice.

But, you are right to caution. There are many things out there that can lead Catholic and non away from the Truth.

I am also a highly devouted person to the Blessed Mother, here are a some of the titles and apparations of Her.

In the Roman Catholic Church, feast days are:

January 1 Mary, Mother of God
February 11 Our Lady of Lourdes
March 25 Annunciation
May 1 Queen of Heaven
May 13 Our Lady of Fátima
May 24 Mary Help of Christians patron of Australia
May 31 Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
July 16 Our Lady of Mount Carmel
August 15 Assumption into Heaven
August 22 Queenship of Mary
September 8 Nativity (birth) of the Blessed Virgin Mary
September 15 Our Lady of Sorrows
October 7 Feast of the Most Holy Rosary
December 8 Feast of the Immaculate Conception
December 12 Our Lady of Guadalupe

most of these are also apparations of Mary.

and these are the major shrines considered most significant for there apparations and miracles within the Roman Catholic Church:

Our Lady of Lourdes - France
Our lady of Guadalupe- Mexico City
Our Lady of Fatima- Portugal
Our Lady of loreto- Italy
Black madonna of Czestochowa - poland
Our lady of Knock- Ireland

But there are many titles of Our Lady tho one of my favorites is Our lady of sorrows, mater dolores, or the 7 swords of the imaculate heart of Mary.

A good way to get to know Our Mother of the Church is to read up on mariology also

My opinion, Halos

I also collect the statues of ( 8in) our mother from around the world.

Hail Mary full of grace

The local authority, the bishop, is the source of discernment re: any apparitions. Two successive Bishops of Mostar have claimed that there is no prood of anything superanatural occuring there, and the most recent Bishop has ordered them to stop with the “visions” and message dissemination. They’ve refused to obey.

The Church won’t necessarily APPROVE a vision while it’s ongoing, but it will certainly DISAPPROVE while it’s ongoing. It’s our humble and holy duty as the sheep to be obedient to the Bishop (the shepherd).

Additionally, there’s absolutely no proof that JP II ever went to Medjugorje. That hearsay only comes from Medj. supporters and travel agents. In fact, JP II did travel to Bosnia after the war ended, but conspicuously did NOT visit Medjugorje when he had the most logical opportunity to (if he was such the supporter as alleged)

Yes, this is a very good point. Why do you suppose the “apparitions” are still going on, after 28 years? That’s unprecedented. And what is the purpose, when the monthly “messages from Heaven” that the seers release has been the same short, repetitive message for years now? Could it be precisely because official judgement has to be suspended until the apparitions cease? Also, like tn30 said, the local bishop is the authority here while the apparitions are ongoing and the two bishops who have served in the past 28 years have publically disapproved of the apparitions and have even requested that the apparitions, (or at least the public revelation of these private visions), cease. They have not.

In every single case of approved private revelation/apparitions where this issue has come up, the Blessed Mother has emphasized that obedience to the local Church authorities comes first. Christ did the same in his appearance to St. Faustina.

I’m not making a judgement here about Medjugorje; I don’t have the knowledge or authority to do so. I only advise you to be prudent. If the apparitions are ever approved you’ll have plenty of time then to develop a healthy devotion to Our Lady of Medjugorje.

Shouldn’ t this be under another thread?It does not belong with Sacred Scripture.I think under sacraments/liturgy would be a better fit.:slight_smile:

I am trying to deal with a family member who wants to cast in her lot with the Garabandal Apostolate around us. Can you perhaps indicate what in your intense research pushed you to steer clear of the materials: was it the messages, the messengers. Would be very much interested in hearing from you as it may help me. God Bless! :slight_smile:

Yeah, there was a time when I read everything I could get my hands on that dealt with Marian apparitions, including Medjugorje and Garabandal. My reasons for rejecting any devotion to those two apparitions are explained in my other posts in this thread. The long and short of it is that they aren’t approved by the Church.

Take a moment to read this, written by St. John of the Cross:

“The desire for private revelations deprives faith of its purity, develops a dangerous curiosity that becomes a source of illusions, fills the mind with vain fancies, and often proves the want of humility, and of submission to Our Lord, Who, through His public revelation, has given all that is needed for salvation. We must suspect those apparitions that lack dignity or proper reserve, and above all, those that are ridiculous. This last characteristic is a mark of human or diabolical machination. Stay away from visions, apparitions, and miracles as much as you can. Be careful of visions, even when they are authentic.”

The Church has a way to bless authentic private revelations/apparitions, for our own safety. To reject the guidance of the Church in these matters, instead deciding to make up our own minds and follow our own feelings and ideas about them, is imprudent and prideful. It boils down to thinking that we know better than the Church.

I’m not saying that to be judgemental or insulting, but just to caution you.

Thanks for that. I could not agree more! As I said, I asked more in the line of trying to dissuade a family member from accepting these messages completely from those 2 sites.

God Bless! :slight_smile:

Walsingham, walsingham.org.uk/ isn’t on that list and it’s definitely approved. So the list is not complete.

This topic is under the wrong heading but I am going to put in my two cents. I went to Medjugorje. I do agree that many have benefited. BUT I no longer follow or promote it.

(there is NO evidence that JPII went there, by the way)

Why do I no longer follow it? Disobedience. Grave and great disobedience and that is a huge red flag. The ‘visionaries’ were called to silence by the bishop within his lawful authority from the pulpit of their church. He asked them to be silent while the investigation was ongoing. They ignored him. The bishop has had the approval of the ongoing phenomenon removed from him and taken ‘up higher’. This is true. But he still must be obeyed in other areas. The saints were silent when they were told to be. The Divine Mercy would not be a worldwide devotion had it not gone silent when it was asked to. Obedience is key.

This is under the wrong sub-forum, I’m not sure how it moves. But I agree being faithful to Rome is what counts.

Speaking frankly, it perhaps confuses things when one learns that the chief seer of Garabandal’s daughter has Mother Teresa as her godmother and there are many pictures of Mother Teresa with the Garabandal seers. Why would Mother Teresa agree to become a godmother if she did not agree with the veracity of Garabandal? The other point they make for support is that they claim Padre Pio, now sainted, had the veil which covered his face during his funeral given to the same aforementioned seer after his death. These two “facts” inevitably confuse the faithful.

On Medjugorje the fact that one of the seers apparently was able to meet with HHJP2 for some twenty minutes for a meeting surely only confuses the faithful on the correct position and perhaps bolsters the seers’ feeling of not having to obey their bishop because they are led to also believe that Pope JP2 corresponded with his Polish friends about Medjugorje.

Again, bottomline DO NOT follow these movements unless and if (probably not) Rome approves them. I merely cited the two examples above because it demonstrates what confusion can ensue if an ill family member wants to follow one of these two movements for healing. If they bring up Padre Pio, or Mother Teresa, the waters start getting muddied and I worry how to answer. And again, to reemphasize neither of these two apparent “apparitions” have ever been approved by Rome and with good reason. I am just looking for reasons to back up ignoring them; if anyone has had bad dealings with these two movements. Any negative assessment is appreciated as it strengthens Rome’s current stance.

God Bless! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.