Mary as Ark

What’s the best way to show Mary is the Ark of the New Covenant using Scripture?

I like this and this. But that’s just me…

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]I like this and this. But that’s just me…

God Bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

Thanks! That Luke 1, 2 Samual 6 comparison is awesome.

[quote=Genesis315]Thanks! That Luke 1, 2 Samual 6 comparison is awesome.
[/quote]

It really blew me away when I found it, too. It was in seeing this parallel that I came to intellectually accept the Immaculate Conception, the dogma of Ever Virgin, and the Assumption. Prior to my seeing Mary from Genesis to Revelations, my assent was ‘with difficulty’.

This also makes sense of the whole “Ark” ordeal. Without it pointing to Mary, the whole ‘Ark of the Covenant’ thing always seemed…well…silly to me. Now I see the beauty and necessity.

BTW, if you haven’t read it yet, you may want to pick up Dr. Scott Hahn’s book “Hail! Holy Queen”. I highly recommend it.

God Bless,
RyanL

Here’s another great study on this subject, this one from Steve Ray. A good companion to his Footprints of God video on Mary:

catholic-convert.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/Documents/MaryArkCovenant.doc

[quote=Genesis315]Thanks! That Luke 1, 2 Samual 6 comparison is awesome.
[/quote]

OK, you guys are bursting my little bubble here. I know there’s nothing new under the sun, but when I made this connection all by myself a couple of months ago, I really thought I was some hot banana! :rolleyes:

mercygate is now kneeling in the cloister for an hour meditating on the virtue of humility.

Here are a couple of my observations of Mary as Ark:

The ark was made of shiny gold. It was put on display in a special tent for all to behold. It was marched before armies in battle. In short, it was a majestic spectacle.

What I know of Mary’s life seems to be a complete contrast to the ark. She was from a common small town. She was married to a common carpenter. She rode a common donkey to regester in a Roman census. She gave birth in a common stable.

If Mary is to be thought of as the Ark of the New Covenant, what is it about having more children inside a valid marriage that would tarnish her majesty more than riding on a donkey and giving birth in a stable would?

You seem to be misguided in more ways than one. :slight_smile:

Actually it was made of wood covered with gold. Just like Mary was a humble vessel who’s glory comes not from her, but from God.

It was put on display in a special tent for all to behold.

Actually it was so sacred that it was normally in the innermost holy of holies, where only the high priest could go.Just like Mary living a life of humble obscurity

It was marched before armies in battle

Only by the special command of God was it carried into battle. When the Israelites took it upon themselves to do so, the Ark was captured and they suffered defeat.

Mary has won a few battles herself, BTW. If you are not familiar with the famous Battle of Lepanto, see here
home.inreach.com/bstanley/lepanto.htm

What I know of Mary’s life seems to be a complete contrast to the ark. She was from a common small town. She was married to a common carpenter. She rode a common donkey to regester in a Roman census. She gave birth in a common stable.

Apparently you don’t know as much about Mary (or Scripture as a whole) as you think you do. Perhaps you might read some of the resources posted above and formulate a better informed opinion.

If Mary is to be thought of as the Ark of the New Covenant, what is it about having more children inside a valid marriage that would tarnish her majesty more than riding on a donkey and giving birth in a stable would?

And what is it about Mary that drives some non-Catholics to, for example, object to the possibility that she did not have any more children? What difference does this (or any “Catholic” belief about Mary) make to them? Could it be that, for them, God is so small and insecure He couldn’t possibly allow for *any * special honors given to his children? :slight_smile:

[quote=Fidelis]And what is it about Mary that drives some non-Catholics to, for example, object to the possibility that she did not have any more children? What difference does this (or any “Catholic” belief about Mary) make to them? Could it be that, for them, God is so small and insecure He couldn’t possibly allow for *any *special honors given to his children? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Perhaps we think more children would be an honor. Maybe not a “special” honor, but an honor nonetheless.:wink:

[quote=Angainor]Perhaps we think more children would be an honor. Maybe not a “special” honor, but an honor nonetheless.:wink:
[/quote]

Actually , she has lots and lots:

She gave birth to a son, a male child, destined to rule all the nations with an iron rod. Her child was caught up to God and his throne.

Then the dragon became angry with the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring, those who keep God’s commandments and bear witness to Jesus. Revelation 12:5, 17

“I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; He will strike at your head, while you strike at his heals”. Genesis 3:15 God to the serpent. This was after the fall of Adam and Eve before they sinned(original). The new Adam and Eve Jesus and Mary also have no original sin, and never did, they got it right this time(This Enmity is total for Jesus and Mary). Here are some more verses using typology,
OT Ark- A cloud of glory covered the Tabernacle and ark(Exodus40:34-35; Numbers 9:15). NT Ark- "And the angel said to her:“The Holy Spirt will come upon you, and the power of the most high will overshadow you”(Luke 1:35).
OT- Ark Ark spent 3 months in the house of Obededom the Gittie(2 Samuel 6:11). NT Ark- Mary spent 3 months in the house of Zechariah and Elizabeth(Luke 1:26, 40).
OT Ark- King David asked: “How can tje ark of the Lord come to me?”(2 Samuel 6:9). NT Ark- Elizabeth asked Mary “why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”(Luke 1:43).
OT Ark- David leaped and danced before the Lord when the ark arrived in Jerusalem(2 Samuel 6:14-16). NT Ark- John the Baptist leaped for joy in Elizabeth’s womb when Mary arrived(Luke 1:44).
Rev 11:19 and 12:1-18 I’m only going to do part of this.
Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant could be seen in the temple. There were flashes of lighting, rumblings, and peals of thunder, an earthquake, and a violent hail storm. A great sign apperared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.* Remember that the original Bibles did not have chapters nor verses this came during the printing era to make things easier to read and organize. This subject goes deep, a book I recommend is Beginning Apologectis #6 How to explain and defend Mary by Father Frank Chacon & Jim Burnham, from San Juan Catholic Seminars P.O. Box 5453 Farmington, NM 87499-5253. catholicapologectis.com. May the Peace of our Lord be with all of you.

[quote=Genesis315]What’s the best way to show Mary is the Ark of the New Covenant using Scripture?
[/quote]

Have you read Ineffabilis Deus yet?
That really opened my eyes to some amazing symbolism.

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.