Mary (BVM) First to see Christ Risen

While scripture states that Mary Magdelan saw Christ outside the tomb after Christ rose from the dead, there is something in my mind that tells me Tradition teaches that the Mary the Mother of God was the first?

Could someone help me with where to find writings on this? Early Church Fathers?

DPS

[quote=DPS]While scripture states that Mary Magdelan saw Christ outside the tomb after Christ rose from the dead, there is something in my mind that tells me Tradition teaches that the Mary the Mother of God was the first?

Could someone help me with where to find writings on this? Early Church Fathers?

DPS
[/quote]

So far as I know, Tradition does not contradict what scripture says. Eastern Catholics and Eastern Orthodox alike teach Mary Magdalen was the first, and title her “Equal to the Apostles.”

Hi DPS,

You can piously believe that Jesus first appeared to his Mother, but there is no serious evidence of this.

Verbum

Actually its often assumed that he visited his Mother first, that would explain where he went that morning while the tomb was empty but before he appeared to Mary Magadalene.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.