Mary, crowned?

I’ve been struggling some with this.

I’m a believer of most of Mary’s dogma. But one thing that I have questions about is Mary’s dogma of being crowned queen of heaven and earth. And that she has a “central” role in our redemption. I’ve been going into this as I’ve been praying the rosary more and more. Good thing!! :thumbsup:

I am VERY impressed that every time I “research” Catholic beliefs I am almost always highly satisfied! But I’m having a hard time finding how we would know that she was crowned? That seems to support the typical protestant accusation we’re just making it up.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!!!
Shawn

Mary’s coronation as Queen of Heaven and Earth is NOT a dogma–at least not yet. It may be one day, though.

This title is a belief with implicit biblical support, as well as centuries of devotion behind it. We can believe that she was crowned without violating any teaching of the Church.

Whenever the Church declares a dogma it does so to tell us something about Christ or to defend some teaching about him. It’s the same with Marian dogmas. They were not proclaimed merely to give her honor, but more importantly to emphasize or uphold a teaching about her Son.

Our devotion to Mary is neither worship nor unnatural. It is recognition of her unique position in the salvific economy. Jesus had only one mother, and that was Mary. No one else will ever take her place in the order of redemption. She cooperated in our redemption in the same way we do, by saying yes to God’s will for her life. That he asked of her something that he had never and will never again ask of a human being makes her very special indeed.

And kudos for praying the Rosary. I’m sure the more you pray it, the more Our Lady will help you see what her true place in the Church and in our lives ought to be.

Just curious… where did the coronation of Mary develop from? How did this come about and what do we do to support it?

Thanks!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Skyron]Just curious… where did the coronation of Mary develop from? How did this come about and what do we do to support it?

[/quote]

Here’s an article I hope will help you with your questions: Mary’s Coronation.

[quote=Della]Here’s an article I hope will help you with your questions: Mary’s Coronation.
[/quote]

It’s also alluded to in Revelation 12. The passage mentions a woman clothed with the sun, with a crown of 12 stars and the moon under her feet. That she was w/child. She had the male child destined to rule all the nations with an iron rod. Her child was caught up to God and his throne. I understand this to be Mary, the child Jesus, and the dragon is Lucifer. I mean I realize there is symbolic meanings that this passage carries w/ Israel in the Old and New Covenants. That’s the jist of it. That’s the only scripture I’ve seen. Other than as the King’s mother, she is Queen Mother like King Solomon’s mother was Queen.

I’m a pretty new Catholic, so that’s all I’ve found.
Love in Christ,
Sher

Two reasons why Mary is Queen of Heaven & earth :smiley: :

1. a few quotations:

Mat 27:29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put [it] upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!

Mar 15:17 And they clothed him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his [head],

Jhn 19:2 And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put [it] on his head, and they put on him a purple robe,

Jhn 19:5 Then came Jesus forth, wearing the crown of thorns, and the purple robe. And [Pilate] saith unto them, Behold the man!

1Cr 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Phil 4:1 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, [my] dearly beloved.

1Th 2:19 For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Are] not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Jam 1:12 Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

1Pe 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast [some] of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Rev 3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

If Jesus is crowned by men with a crown of thorns, then by His Father in Heaven; in humiliation first, then, in glory - and if His other members in the NT are
[list]
*]royal
*]hope for crowns
*]and may sit upon his throne
[/list]- what excludes Mary ? Therefore, Mary’s Coronation has the most solid possible basis, in Scripture.

1. “God has not left Himself without a witness” among the nations:

To the Israelites He gave the Law

To the Greeks, wisdom

• and (perhaps) to the nations He gave myths; so that they should be stirred up to seek Him.

Perhaps the purpose of those goddesses, is to be premonitions - however distorted by human sinfulness and frailty - of Mary.

She is human - not God; not a goddess either; that is impossible: there cannot be more than One God. (That’s in case anyone thinks that attention to Mary is alienation from Christ.)

So, why does she have titles in common with various goddesses ? Perhaps for this reason: she, in historical actuality, in a particular place (Nazareth) at a particular time (during the reign of Augustus Caesar), became the mother of God. Not metaphorically; not in some transferred sense; not in an allegory - her Son “just happens” to be her Creator, Lord, Redeemer, Saviour, & everything else that God is. Mary is the mother of God. There is no getting past, over, around, under this. She has a title of Isis, “mother of god”, because what Isis was called, Mary actually is. Isis has no date, just as the various “dying gods” have no date: but Mary has; because her Son has.

IOW - myths about royal goddesses look forward to Mary. Isis was a royal goddess, the mother & protectress of Horus; therefore, of the reigning Pharaoh; who in some sense was Horus. Isis fled to save the child Horus from persecution - Mary and Jesus fled into Egypt. Isis was immensely loved - Mary inherits that love: not because the Church is paganising, but because the love given to Isis ought to go to Mary; for Mary is the fulfilment of whatever was good and pure and capable of being sanctified in the accounts of them.

1. In everything she is utterly dependent on her Son: she has no purpose in life, no significance, apart from Him. He exercises His Kingship wherever there are creatures: it is exercised in her, by filling her as full of God as a mere creature can “take”. “The fullness of the Godhead is present bodily” in Him, the Messianic King; the fullness of His royal graciousness is present in her. His Kingship is realised in Mary so fully that for us to call her Queen is the proper response to it; she is a queen, because she was His handmaid - to be one, is to be the other. Mary’s Queenship is the dynamic reflection of the Kingship of the Son Who dwells in her and she in Him: it is something He does through her & in her. She is reigned in by Him, & this reigning activity of His, is poured forth in free & obedient love by her: so that she reigns in & from Him, and over all His works.

He is the Servant of the Lord, and Is King; she is His handmaid - so, to judge from Scripture, she is truly a queen.

Hope this is some help ##

See** Doctrines about Mary are Biblical **- View

The following discussion is summarized and pilfered from material written by Frank Chacon and Jim Burnam of San Juan Catholic Seminars:
(Beginning Apologetics 6: How to Explain & Defend Marian Doctrines) …

**Mary as the NT Queen Mother

**The OT kings clearly prefigured Jesus Christ, the NT King of kings (Rev 19:16). Jesus, in his humanity, descended from King David. Therefore, the kings of Judah, who were from David’s line, especially prefigure Jesus’ kingship. Luke 1:32 says, “the Lord God will give him [Jesus] the throne of David his father.” Interestingly, the wife of the king of Judah was not the queen. The queen was the king’s mother. She was known as the Queen Mother. She had great honor and authority in the kingdom (see 1 Kings 2:19-20). The Queen Mother had an official position; she had to be deposed in order to be removed (1 Kings 15:13).

The OT Queen Mother prefigures or foreshadows the NT Queen Mother. Jesus, the NT King of kings, does not have a wife. His mother would be the NT queen. This is exactly what Revelation 12 describes. Mary gives birth to a son who will “rule all nations” (the NT King of kings), and she is the mother of the followers of Jesus (Rev 12:17). She is queen–she is wearing a crown of twelve stars. Rev 12 depicts Mary as the NT Queen Mother. By studying the great honor and dignity queen mothers had in the OT, we can appreciate the profound role God has given Mary, Queen Mother of all Christians.

In Jn 19:27, Jesus said to his mother, “Woman, behold your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold your mother.” Jesus only spoke seven times from the cross. Here, He is doing more than just making domestic arrangements. The Church has always understood that Jesus was revealing to all of us, represented by John, that Mary is our mother. Jesus’ words indicate He is giving an important revelation. Recall the words of John the Baptist: “Behold the Lamb of God” (Jn 1:29). Just as John is indicating something profound about Jesus, so is Jesus about Mary.

I am a new Catholic who was raised protestant, so I have studied this just a bit. I admit right now that I do not fully understand this but have been studing it. While in my RCIA class, a brother from a nearby abbey gave me this. I have looked for the link, but was unable to find it. So I am going to try to type what was given me. He found this in Catholic Answers, San Diego.

"Why We Believe, What We Believe:

Mary, Queen and Advodate

Let’s refer to 1 Kings 2, 16-20. One of the best known institutions in ancient Israel’s monarchy was the office of the gibirah or Queen Mother. You don’t find an ancient monarchy in the middle east or near east that doesn’t have one. The queen was never the wife because sometimes the kings had several wives (Solomon had 700 ) so it was always the King’s mother who was crowned queen. This Queen, throughout all these eastern monarchy’s sat beside the King on a throne, survived the death of the King without being deposed (she continued to reign), led songs in worship, and she had an essential role in political, military and ecomomic affairs of court. In chapter one there is an intense rivalry between Solomon and his older half-brother Adonijah who was born to one of David’s wives before he married Bathsheba. Adonijah, not going directly to the king, asks Bathsheba a favor saying “He will not refuse you” v.17 (Note the job as intercessory) When Bathsheba went to the King, he “rose to meet her, and bowed down to her; then he sat on this throne and had a seat brought for the king’s mother; and she sat on his right hand” (The position of authority). The prophets attack the Davidic kings for many superstitious practices and many idolatrous rituals, but never once was the institution of the gibirah even slightly criticized. Since the office of the gibirah continued for 350-400 years, naturally, the Jew’s who accepted Jesus as their King from the Davidic line of Kings (Son of David) regarded Mary as their Queen and since Jesus rules in heaven and on earth, so does Mary. The angel says in Matt 1:20 “Joseph, son of David…” and 2v.2"Where is he who has been born king of the Jews" When Jesus fulfills all, He doesn’t destroy this office, but perfects it and takes it up into the Heavenly Jerusalem temple. There He is enthroned as the Heavenly King, the Son of David and there He assumes His Queen mother to His right hand and bestows upon her the royal honor which is His. Mary is our Advocate for the people of God, in that she takes the petitions of her earthly children, especilally in times of difficulties, and brings them through her maternal intercession before her Son and our …"(I am sorry I can not read this one word)"…and king, Jesus."

This goes on, but I am afraid my limit may have been reached.
I wanted to state how much I like the example of Bathsheba. In the Bible she did go to her son and asked with all authority of a intercessor, but she was refused. Why? Because she did not have his will in her question. Adonijah had asked for King David’s handmaid in marriage. This would have directly challanged King Soloman’s kingship. Therefore he refused her and quickly killed Adonijah.

Coronation does mean the crowning (ie installing) of a new ruler, but as I see it the passage doesnt have to use the word “crown” to still be a accurate statment.

I have this little Rosary book which tells each mystery and for the Coronation of Mary it references Judith13 as one of the passages along with Rev12 and stuff.

*16* And lighting up lights they all gathered round about her: and she went up to a higher place, and commanded silence to be made. And when all had held their peace, *17* Judith said: Praise ye the Lord our God, who hath not forsaken them that hope in him.   *18* And by me his handmaid he hath fulfilled his mercy, which he promised to the house of Israel: and he hath killed the enemy of his people by my hand this night. *...* *20* But as the same Lord liveth, his angel hath been my keeper both going hence, and abiding there, and returning from thence hither:   and the Lord hath not suffered me his handmaid to be defiled, but hath brought me back to you without pollution of sin, rejoicing for his victory, for my escape, and for your deliverance.   

*21* Give all of you glory to him, because he is good, because his mercy endureth for ever.   *22* And they all adored the Lord, and said to her: The Lord hath blessed thee by his power, because by thee he hath brought our enemies to nought. *23* And Ozias the prince of the people of Israel, said to her:   Blessed art thou, O daughter, by the Lord the most high God, above all women upon the earth. *24* Blessed be the Lord who made heaven and earth, who hath directed thee to the cutting off the head of the prince of our enemies. *25* Because he hath so magnified thy name this day, that thy praise shall not depart out of the mouth of men who shall be mindful of the power of the Lord for ever, for that thou hast not spared thy life, by reason of the distress and tribulation of thy people, but hast prevented our ruin in the presence of our God. [Judith13]("http://drbo.org/chapter/18013.htm")

What a loss to all those who dont have the historical & true 73 book Bible. There are beatiful parallels (ie foreshadowing) to Mary in the NT.

[quote=Skyron]Just curious… where did the coronation of Mary develop from? How did this come about and what do we do to support it?

[/quote]

Here’s a very good article on this:Is Mary’s Queenship Biblical?

[quote=Catholic Dude]Coronation does mean the crowning (ie installing) of a new ruler, but as I see it the passage doesnt have to use the word “crown” to still be a accurate statment.

I have this little Rosary book which tells each mystery and for the Coronation of Mary it references Judith13 as one of the passages along with Rev12 and stuff.

16 And lighting up lights they all gathered round about her: and she went up to a higher place, and commanded silence to be made. And when all had held their peace, 17 Judith said: Praise ye the Lord our God, who hath not forsaken them that hope in him. 18 And by me his handmaid he hath fulfilled his mercy, which he promised to the house of Israel: and he hath killed the enemy of his people by my hand this night. 20 But as the same Lord liveth, his angel hath been my keeper both going hence, and abiding there, and returning from thence hither: and the Lord hath not suffered me his handmaid to be defiled, but hath brought me back to you without pollution of sin, rejoicing for his victory, for my escape, and for your deliverance.

21 Give all of you glory to him, because he is good, because his mercy endureth for ever. 22 And they all adored the Lord, and said to her: The Lord hath blessed thee by his power, because by thee he hath brought our enemies to nought. 23 And Ozias the prince of the people of Israel, said to her: Blessed art thou, O daughter, by the Lord the most high God, above all women upon the earth. 24 Blessed be the Lord who made heaven and earth, who hath directed thee to the cutting off the head of the prince of our enemies. 25 Because he hath so magnified thy name this day, that thy praise shall not depart out of the mouth of men who shall be mindful of the power of the Lord for ever, for that thou hast not spared thy life, by reason of the distress and tribulation of thy people, but hast prevented our ruin in the presence of our God. Judith13

What a loss to all those who dont have the historical & true 73 book Bible. There are beatiful parallels (ie foreshadowing) to Mary in the NT.
[/quote]

Our Catholic Bibles do not contain the verses you reference. What is your source for these passages? We checked Ignatius and a New American Standard; chapter 13 of Judith contains only 20 verses. The verse 16 you referenced at the start of your comment also is not found in either Judith or Revelations. What is your source?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.