Mary: Daughter, Mother, Spouse

I recently told a non-Catholic that Mary was the Daughter of God the Father, the Mother of God the Son, and Spouse of God the Holy Spirit, but the reply was that God and the Holy Spirit did not apply. Not exactly what was meant by that?

Does anyone have documentation in the Catechism to support my statement? I know it is in “Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” by Dr. Ludwig Ott, but since I do not have that book handy I cannot refer to it at this time.

Thank you and Peace.

[quote=jim1130]I recently told a non-Catholic that Mary was the Daughter of God the Father, the Mother of God the Son, and Spouse of God the Holy Spirit, but the reply was that God and the Holy Spirit did not apply. Not exactly what was meant by that?

Does anyone have documentation in the Catechism to support my statement? I know it is in “Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” by Dr. Ludwig Ott, but since I do not have that book handy I cannot refer to it at this time.

Thank you and Peace.
[/quote]

Why not ask him what he means when he says it doesn’t apply to “God” (by which I assume he means the Father) and the Holy Spirit?

Non-Catholic Christians (Evangelicals, Pentecostalists, and Fundamentalists) see Mary’s role as extremely limited to that of Mother of Jesus alone. And even by that title most of them mean just the mother of his body, which is why they will not use the title Mother of God (that and the ridiculous idea that we Catholics believe she is the mother of God the Father, as well!).

The CCC doesn’t address these titles directly. There’s a lot of popular theology that the CCC doesn’t address, but that doesn’t make it wrong or bad. However the Catholic Encyclopedia, which is just as reliable as the CCC cites this in an article about the Litany of the Saints:

To render God propitious, we, aware of our own unworthiness, ask the intercession of those who have become His special friends, through a holy life, the saints in lasting communion with Him. Foremost among these stands Mary, the chosen daughter of the Father, the undefiled mother of the Son, the stainless bride of the Holy Ghost – we call upon her with the triple invocation: Holy Mary, Mother of God, Virgin of virgins.

Mary is daughter of God the Father in a special way because she was chosen from all eternity to be the Mother of God the Son. Your friend will agree that the Father intended to send the Son from all eternity, so it is not a stretch to claim that God also had his Mother Mary in mind then too. As for Mary being the spouse or bride of the Holy Spirit, it is because Mary conceived of the Holy Spirit. God made Mary his spouse, not his doxy, when he asked her to be the Mother of his Son. It was a true joining of the Holy Spirit in love–divine love and holiness. It’s the reason why she never had sexual relations with Joseph–because she was already the spouse, the bride of the Holy Spirit and always will be.

[quote=jim1130]I recently told a non-Catholic that Mary was the Daughter of God the Father, the Mother of God the Son, and Spouse of God the Holy Spirit, but the reply was that God and the Holy Spirit did not apply. Not exactly what was meant by that?

Thank you and Peace.
[/quote]

I’ve never heard of Mary being described that way. I had a quick look in the CCC under everything relating to Mary and can’t find what you are looking for.

[quote=Della]Why not ask him what he means when he says it doesn’t apply to “God” (by which I assume he means the Father) and the Holy Spirit?

Non-Catholic Christians (Evangelicals, Pentecostalists, and Fundamentalists) see Mary’s role as extremely limited to that of Mother of Jesus alone. And even by that title most of them mean just the mother of his body, which is why they will not use the title Mother of God (that and the ridiculous idea that we Catholics believe she is the mother of God the Father, as well!).

The CCC doesn’t address these titles directly. There’s a lot of popular theology that the CCC doesn’t address, but that doesn’t make it wrong or bad. However the Catholic Encyclopedia, which is just as reliable as the CCC cites this in an article about the Litany of the Saints:

Mary is daughter of God the Father in a special way because she was chosen from all eternity to be the Mother of God the Son. Your friend will agree that the Father intended to send the Son from all eternity, so it is not a stretch to claim that God also had his Mother Mary in mind then too. As for Mary being the spouse or bride of the Holy Spirit, it is because Mary conceived of the Holy Spirit. God made Mary his spouse, not his doxy, when he asked her to be the Mother of his Son. It was a true joining of the Holy Spirit in love–divine love and holiness. It’s the reason why she never had sexual relations with Joseph–because she was already the spouse, the bride of the Holy Spirit and always will be.
[/quote]

Thank you! Truly, THANK YOU!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.