Mary, Daughter of God the Father

Part of St. Louis de Montfort’s “Little Crown of the Blessed Virgin,” refers to her as “Daughter of God the Father.”

Now in one sense, everyone is a son or daughter of God the Father, for He created every human being, which makes us all children of God. Mary shares that with us.

However, in another sense, I strongly suspect that Mary is uniquely the daughter of God the Father in some way. It’s obvious that she is the Spouse of the Holy Spirit and Mother of God the Son in a unique way. These spectacular roles are visible from the fact that the Spirit impregnated her and she gave birth to the Son physically. These roles are spiritually present throughout all Christians, but are directly and most astonishingly visible in Mary. In her, these roles are at once shared and marvelously unique.

I’ve been struggling with the idea of what it means for Mary to be “Daughter of God the Father,” because I suspect it is just as spectacular a role as her role as Mother of God the Son and Spouse of the Holy Spirit. Only I can’t see exactly how it is.

The Catholic Church is uniquely “Daughter in Law” to God the Father through its marriage to His Son, though I don’t know exactly what that mystically means either.

How does Mary’s role as Daughter of God the Father work? What does it mean?

And how glorious and unique is it?

We are all daughters (and sons) of God the Father, but I think Mary is unique in the way she lived out this “daughterhood” perfectly.

She was perfectly obedient and perfectly trusting. “Be it done unto me according to Your word.” In her humility she acknowledged His greatness. “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord … He has looked with favor on His lowly servant.” Would that all God’s children were so obedient, trusting, humble, and grateful! She is a model for all of us.

For His part, God is Father to us all, and blesses all of us abundantly, but He blessed and protected this favored daughter in a special way (her Immaculate Conception, freedom from original sin) in light of the special role she would have as mother of Jesus. And He rewarded her in a special way by not subjecting her body to corruption of the grave and by crowning her Queen of heaven and earth.

Thanks, I think that’s an important piece. I don’t think we’ll ever know the FULL picture; I’m just reaching out for every piece of it I can find! I hadn’t thought of the one you just brought up, and it really is a very good point. Thanks :).

Beautiful truth spoken

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.