Mary, "Defend us in battle"!

...Revelation presents the vision of the struggle between the woman and the dragon. The figure of the woman, representing the Church, is, on the one hand, glorious and triumphant and yet, on the other, still in travail. And the Church is like that: if in heaven she is already associated in some way with the glory of her Lord, in history she continually lives through the trials and challenges which the conflict between God and the evil one, the perennial enemy, brings. And in the struggle which the disciples must confront – all of us, all the disciples of Jesus, we must face this struggle - Mary does not leave them alone: the Mother of Christ and of the Church is always with us. She walks with us always, she is with us. And in a way, Mary shares this dual condition. She has of course already entered, once and for all, into heavenly glory. But this does not mean that she is distant or detached from us; rather Mary accompanies us, struggles with us, sustains Christians in their fight against the forces of evil. Prayer with Mary, especially the rosary – but listen carefully: the Rosary. Do you pray the Rosary every day? But I’m not sure you do… [the people shout "Yes!"] Really? Well, prayer with Mary, especially the Rosary, has this "suffering" dimension, that is of struggle, a sustaining prayer in the battle against the evil one and his accomplices. The Rosary also sustains us in the battle... - Pope Francis, 8-15-2013 (Underlining is mine)
Dear all,

The above excerpt is taken from Pope Francis' homily on the Feast of Mary's Assumption. Full text may be read [HERE]("http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/pope-s-homily-at-mass-of-solemnity-of-the-assumption")

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Wow!

:amen:

We need Our Lady’s help more than ever. I should make an effort to pray more rosaries. It has been said many times how this spiritual weapon has been handed to us for these times ahead.

You are very welcome, dear SecretaryMonday! :slight_smile:

Dear phoenix,

Sometimes this Pope, as well as his predecessors, can say something simple – perhaps a truth we knew intuitively in our hearts – but when we see the words, we say as you did, “WOW”!

In this case, how truly Pope Francis said:

…all of us, all the disciples of Jesus, we must face this struggle - Mary does not leave them alone: the Mother of Christ and of the Church is always with us.

and

…prayer with Mary, especially the Rosary, has this “suffering” dimension, that is of struggle, a sustaining prayer in the battle against the evil one and his accomplices. The Rosary also sustains us in the battle…

Thanks for your “Amen”.

That was beautiful MariaChristi! Thanks for sharing. :heart:

Dear MJCamp,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, these are perilous times, and we need Our Lady’s help. We all need to pray the Rosary, daily, with attention and devotion. As Pope Francis said. we need prayer “with Mary” and “especially the Rosary”. We need her help as unique persons, and also we need to pray for all our brothers and sisters, throughout the world.

O my Jesus, pardon us and save us from the fires of hell. Draw all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of Your Mercy.

Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us.

You and I both, MJ. Let’s start today!

Hi MariaChristi,

Part of what inspired my “wow” was the fact that
the priest who gave the homily at the Feast of the Assumption Mass
that I attended
happened to make the same two points
that Pope Francis did.
I attended the Vigil Mass on August 14th.

The priest mentioned how Mary fits into the battle against evil
and also mentioned the Rosary,
using concepts for both points
that were really similar to the Pope’s words.

So yeah, WOW.

If there was a “stunned in a good way” emoticon smiley,
I’d use it.

:blessyou:

Dear phoenix,

Thanks for further data on your “WOW”. :slight_smile: I wonder if the priest whom you heard, also read the Pope’s homily as I did on Zenit. If you (and others reading this) would like to subscribe to this news source which includes Addresses by the Pope and other “news from Rome”, see HERE

Thanks MariaChristi.

It was so beautiful to read:)
We need Our Mother more than ever. We are facing a angry dragon without anything left to fight for but to take us away from God.

Dear Mary, help us in Battle!

Dear HeadingBackHome,

Thanks for your response. I went back to my original post on this thread because it was written a few months ago, and read Pope Francis’ words on the Feast of Our Lady’s Assumption. Let me quote again a few sentences from our Pope:

…Mary accompanies us, struggles with us, sustains Christians in their fight against the forces of evil. Prayer with Mary, especially the rosary – but listen carefully: the Rosary. Do you pray the Rosary every day? But I’m not sure you do… [the people shout “Yes!”] Really? Well, prayer with Mary, especially the Rosary, has this “suffering” dimension, that is of struggle, a sustaining prayer in the battle against the evil one and his accomplices. The Rosary also sustains us in the battle… - Pope Francis, 8-15-2013

It is important for all of us to pray with Mary, as she accompanies us, with Her Son, on our earthly journey. We are never alone in our fight against the forces of evil! The Popes have often encouraged us to pray the Rosary because the Mysteries of the Rosary help us focus on the lives of Jesus and Mary, and in the Joyful Mysteries we also include the dear Spouse of Mary and Guardian of Jesus, St. Joseph. How humble and seemingly ordinary their lives looked to others in Nazareth, yet God’s Light shone through them! So must we let His Light shine through us.

Do we pray our daily Rosary with attention and devotion? The great St. Teresa of Avila said that if we do not pray with attention ad devotion we are not praying – no matter how much we move our lips! We can be so easily distracted, but the willingness to continue turning our minds and hearts to Jesus and Mary thwarts the devil every time! :slight_smile:

Our first Pope, St. Peter, knew what it was to be tempted and even to fall, but by God’s Grace he learned from his mistakes. Let us continue to learn from Jesus and Mary as St. Peter and all the saints learned:

1Pe 5:8-9 Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world.

Jesus, we trust in You!
Mary, Mother given to us from Jesus on the Cross, pray for us.
St. Joseph, Protector of Holy Church, St. Peter and all the saints and angels, pray for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.