Mary, Did you know?

ARGH!!!

I went to a music planning meeting with a group in our church as a liason from the Liturgy Cmte. They are not under the “umbrella” of authority of the music leader…

They chose this song for one of the prelude songs for Christmas Day Mass. I told them that theologically the line “This child that you delivered, will soon deliver you” was a Protestant view and perhaps that since we ARE Catholic we should change it to “This child that you delivered, will soon deliver ALL” instead.

It was shot down and I was called “bigoted” and “prejudice”.

What do I do? Any thoughts? Our Priest supports this group. Their style is contemporary and they’ve even taken the Psalm of the day out several times to put in a sing-songy type song they had heard on the local Protestant Christian station.

again… ARGH!

Steph

Here are the Lyrics for those not familiar with the song. BTW I agree with your comment:

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will one day walk on water?
Did you know
That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
That your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that youve delivered
Will soon deliver you

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Did you know
That your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?
Did you know
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little boy
Youve kissed the face of god

Mary, did you know?
The blind will see
The deaf will hear
And the dead will live again
The lame will leap
The dumb will speak
The praises of the lamb

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy is lord of all creation?
Did you know
That your baby boy will one day rules the nations?
Did you know
That your baby boy is heavens perfect lamb?
This sleeping child youre holding
Is the great I am

It is likely that your group has not Idea what the immaculate conception is. If the priest wont back you tell them to jump in the lake and move on. (of course do it in a nice way) don’t hang out with such people its bad for you anyway.

I have no advice for you, but can feel some symapthy for you. When I hear this one, I want the Blessed Mother to yell from Heaven, “Well, DUH!” at the lyrics. Of course, she is the Blessed Mother, and patient with her all her children, even me, and the authors of this song (hardly a hymn).

To your FACE?!?
Heretics.
Pray for them.

The writers of this song are Mark Lowery, lyrics, and Buddy Green, music. Both are/were members of the Gaither Homecoming group, which is a group of Christian Gospel singers. They frequently have a show on tv.

Peace,
Linda

Pray and do penance for the conversion and salvation of their souls and make acts of reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Ok, I’m missing it here. How do the lyrics of this song contradict the Catholic doctrine of the immaculate conception?

Mary was conceived without sin. She was a pure vessel. That is the Immaculate Conception.

So these words…
“Did you know
That your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that youve delivered
Will soon deliver you”

Imply that she needed saving. She didn’t.

I am embarassed to say that I never thought of that… What is wrong with me. I have alwaysed liked that song, and never thought of those wrods. Wow…

Even your Church does not believe that Mary had no need of a savior. Indeed, in the Magnificat she praises God her “savior”. All of humanity who accept Christ are saved through His merits, including Mary. Further, are you saying that Mary lost the ability to commit sin once she was conceived? If so, she would have lost free will. Mary continued to have free will through her life, however, your Church has dogmatized the belief that, being full of grace, she simply did not sin.

Correct, she had already been saved and delivered by the merits of Christ :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
the music itself is what i like… oftentimes i forget to listen to the lyrics of a song… maybe same for you sometimes?

Yes, I would never thought or it the way I did if I had paid more attention… I guess, in away, my affection for Mary got in the way of what I heard. I feel so bad.

are you saying that Mary lost the ability to commit sin once she was conceived?
If so, she would have lost free will. Mary continued to have free will through her life, however, your Church has dogmatized the belief that, being full of grace, she simply did not sin.

Well, here is what I believe the Catholic Church teaches and some misunderstand. . .

The ability to sin is not what gives a person ‘free will’. That would be like saying a person is only truly himself when he does evil, and that by doing only good he was a robot or incapable of choice.

Being full of grace (Kecharitome in Greek), or full of the Holy Spirit from conception, did not mean that Mary could not sin. Adam and Eve, you will recall, were created without original sin, yet they most certainly could, and did, choose to do evil. What is meant by Mary’s Immaculate Conception and her being full of grace for her life meant that, in the fullness of her humanity, with the free will God has given us all, she was so blessed by God that she was always capable of, and so always did, choose to do good.

It is the free willed choice of good that defines us as fully human. It is the rejection of that free willed choice of good by Adam and Eve which lost us paradise and necessitated a Redeemer. Jesus was the most perfect Man, and Mary the most perfect fully human creation, because they were the only ones who fully utilized in their free will the true nature of humanity–that we are created for good (God) and not for evil.

That’s correct-- Mary did indeed need a savior. However, the effects of Jesus’ sacrifice were applied to her at the moment of her conception. So, theologically, the song is incorrect in stating that Jesus would one day deliver her and make her new-- she had already been delivered from the effects of Original Sin, and was made new at the moment of her conception. It was a past perfect event, not a future event waiting to be fulfilled.

Further, are you saying that Mary lost the ability to commit sin once she was conceived? If so, she would have lost free will. Mary continued to have free will through her life, however, your Church has dogmatized the belief that, being full of grace, she simply did not sin.

No, she did not lose the ability to sin. She certainly could have chosen to sin, but because she so perfectly conformd her will to that of God, she never did sin. Of course she had free will her entire life, but the fact that God filled her so completely with His grace allowed her to submit herself fully to Him.

…and she needed as savior, her son. One of the Catholic posters above stated that the Immaculate Conception meant that Mary was without need of a savior. That’s incorrect, even by Catholic teaching.

Don’t feel bad… we all make mistakes in judgement. You have new insight. Just be glad! :clapping:

That was absolutely beautiful… thank you for this post!!

Not to mention the words imply that she doesn’t know she’s carrying the Saviour in her womb, which she did.

I have never heard this one, thankfully. What ever happened to Ave Maria, or Salve Regina?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.