Mary, Did you know?

Kyrie Eleison…

Different food for thought:

I guess the answer to “Mary, did you know?” would be “Of course!”

Yes, Mary needed a Saviour. God just chose to apply the merits of Jesus’ sacrifice for Mary before she was conceived. (God is, of course, outside the realm of time.) The sacrificial act still had to be completed, however.

So, while Mary was already delivered, the sacrificial act had not yet been completed when Jesus was just a baby; and if it wasn’t completed, she wouldn’t have been delivered, either. Thus, in a sense, Jesus still had to deliver her by completing the sacrifice after he was grown. Since Jesus was a baby when these questions are being asked in song, Jesus has yet to deliver us all.

I was actually thinking about this last night, but couldn’t articulate the words to express the concept…so didn’t try. Thank you. This makes perfect sense (not that I accept the immaculate conception, but that’s another topic).

I suppose there are several things that irritate me about this particular song:

1. Personal taste: the tune is banal, a tiny step up from Muzak. Compare “Mary, Did You Know?” to “O Sanctissima” or “Stainless the Maiden” or “Salve Regina” … no contest.

2. The lyrics make the singer of the song sound smug like he knows all this and Mary didn’t.

3. The song is very Protestant in terms of the lyrics … it’s a stretch to interpret the lyrics so that they don’t contradict Catholic doctrine, Protestant reading (in particular, denial of the Immaculate Conception) is much more the plain sense reading of the lyrics.

4. This song also makes no sense in light of the Annunciation:

Song quote: “Mary, did you know
That your baby boy is lord of all creation?
Did you know
That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
That your baby boy is heaven’s perfect lamb?
This sleeping child you’re holding
Is the great I AM”

Now, go read Luke 1:26-35 or just for fun continue until verse 56. Now why are we asking those questions?

Ok, at the risk of making myself appear dumb, how does this condradict the immaculate conception? I’ve actually never heard this song…

This song has always made me cringe…and I knew the lyrics weren’t in line with Catholic teaching, but I couldn’t put my finger exactly on it, but now I know. Thanks for the explanations!! :slight_smile:

I’ve heard this explanation several times. Mostly from the priests on EWTN.

Like rr1213, I was also unable to articulate it. I have trouble explaning this concept to my Bible-Believing friend. Especially with “God existing outside of the realm of time” and therefore being able to apply to Mary, in advance, the Merits Jesus won for us on the Cross.
Oddly enough, though, my friend does believe in the Immaculate Conception, and Mary’s perpetual virginity.

He says that even though he doesn’t understand the whole concept, he nevertheless accepts these two Teachings based on faith.

Thanks for your post, Didi and God Bless!

Too old fashioned and not cutting edge enough. Besides that, both titles are in Latin:bigyikes: a dead language. How inappropriate. I think we should try to get Brittney Spears and Paris Hilton to make a video of the song. Then we could show it at all Teen Life gatherings.:thumbsup:

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!!

There is not a single piece of contemporary music in existence that I dislike more. It makes me want to commit harri-kiri.

I have this conversation with my good friend who happens to be the director of liturgy at my parish and every year he laughs at my reaction and he says “but it’s a pretty song.” And at that moment I want to strangle my otherwise well thinking friend.

Yep, this song should never be played at the Holy Sacrifice of Mass, IS OUTRAGE!

:smiley:

I had the misfortune of hearing this particular ditty while I was at the dentist (they pipe in a radio station that had already switched to “Christmas music” by the first week of November :eek: ). Thank God, no cavities, because hearing this whilst getting my teeth drilled might have been too much to take (I do not get anesthesia, because I don’t get properly numbed from locals & the process of injection for something that doesn’t work is too stressful).

OT: I’ve had that problem. I’ve found a fabulous dentist who injects at the back of the jaw, where the nerve enters. It totally isolates it and all feeling is cut off. for extra peace of mind, he’ll also give me a shot in the roof of my mouth.

This is the first guy who I don’t fell a thing when he’s drilling.

O.T. – To Melissa

Dear Melissa,

I have the same problem and had to have a root canal done. I almost fainted when my dentist gave me the news.
I literally shook like a leaf when I went to have the procedure done. Tears were streaming down my face, I was so scared.

axolotl is correct:

“I’ve found a fabulous dentist who injects at the back of the jaw, where the nerve enters. It totally isolates it and all feeling is cut off.

It works! Believe me, I only felt a little pain at one point and the dentist immediately stopped, put a cotton swab w/pain killer on that area, and it was numbed instantly. I couldn’t believe it!

If you find the right dentist, who is sympathetic and patient with regards to your sensitivety, he’ll get you numb.

I would never have believed it if I hadn’t gone through it, myself.
I’m no longer afraid of having a cavity filled or a root canal procedure. The worst part of it for me was soreness from having to keep my mouth opened for an hour and a half!

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic. I just wanted to reassure you that what axolotl said is right on the mark!

Good luck and God Bless!

Actually, I think that song is beautiful and it’s a good sign that some of our Protestant brethren are paying more attention to the Mother of Jesus.

I don’t think it’s appropriate for Mass, but I don’t think it will cause the church to collapse if it is sung, either.

The song itself is a good way to start a dialog with Protestants about Mary and about the fact that, yes, according to Scripture, she DID “Know” all these things about Jesus, beginning at the Annunciation !!

As Luke tells us, “And his mother stored up all these things, carefully reflecting on them in her heart.”

Love,
Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)

Read the CCC… It does say (concerning the immaculate conception, I believe) that Mary was redeemed through her Son at the moment of her birth. If you beleive that Christ is saved through Mary, you’re off base.

I am not sure that the popular song in question is a great choice for Mass, but I have actually spent some time listening to it closely, and I found it surprisingly accurate in its statements. As a matter of fact, it manages to express some very complex and profound theologcial arguments in very simple and expressive terms. There is a line about Mary kissing the “face of God”, which I think is a cool insight. I think your complaints are barking up the wrong tree.

And, by the way, I’d suggest that the Scripture does sugges that Mary asked a lot of questions concerning her being chosen. I don’t think everything was as crystal clear (at first) as some would assert. Otherwise, we would be tempted to conclude that Mary was less human than she was (the most human, since she was who Eve herself could not be).

Last year we had a thread somewhere here about this song.
I posted how much it sets my teeth on edge and got majorly dumped on!
I’m so glad to see that some folks do agree with me.

Well, she did need to be sanctified; it’s just that she was sanctified from the moment of her conception, in anticipation of the merits of the Cross. In other words, she was already delivered.

By the way, for those not in the know, the Immaculate Conception does not refer to the conception of Jesus. It refers to the conception of His Mother, who was preserved from the first moment of her existence from the stain of original sin.

Well it seems to me that the song is asking a given. The answer could only be one thing. And that is YES.

Like I said, I’m not sure it’s the best choice of song for Mass, but the question I’d ask is the opposition with the song on a musical or theological plain? If musical, I’m not going to necessarily argue with you. I like the song, but I understand that a lot of our church music sounds like a 1960s folk song reunion.

If the problem is theological, though, you might want to re-examine your concerns. I think it addresses the Immaculate Conception quite eloquently, for instance. If you also suggest that Mary always knew who she was predestined to become, I think you would be endowing her with a degree of omniscience which would, in turn, make her more than human. I would argue, instead, that Mary is the shining example of what all women might have been, if it hadn’t been for The Fall in Eden. Removing her humanity (that intial wonder and questioning as to why God chose her) in order to fit Mary more neatly into your preconceptions might not be the best avenue to take. The Scriptures clearly reflect a person who, while saying yes when Eve said no, still struggled at the start to grasp that amazing purpose God had in store for her.

Theological because musically it is pleasant.

There are two problems that I see.

First is the ambiguity in the language about her redemption. Precision in this particular point of theology is supremely important. Second is that while a case can be made that prior to the Annunciation she would not have know about her role in the Divine Plan of Salvation this song is not addressed to a pre-Annunciation Mary. However, the lyrics imply that it is post Annunciation because of the words “your baby boy.” This implies that she already had a baby boy because prior to the Annunciation she would not have known that she would have a baby boy or any child for that matter. Further, her contemplation concerning the words of the angel were not extended beyond her fiat because of her prelapsatian nature and as such makes the question absurd. Also, since it is post annunciation the question may be a just question to ask the Mother of God but the problem is that the song itself never supplies an answer and thus falls into the objection in the first point concerning ambiguity and the necessity for precision since a true answer to the question is known.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.