Mary Did You Know?

I would love to get this on a cd, but I have no idea WHO sings it. I know many people probably do, but I was wondering if I could have some of your recommendations. I listened to Kenny Rogers version and somehow, “it don’t seem right”.
Thanks in advance
Kathy

The version I have is by Kathy Mattea.

'thann

Erin O’ Donnell does my favorite version. Michael English has one of the more popular versions.

As far as Christmas songs centered around Mary go, the Amy Grant rendition of “Breath of Heaven,” is my favorite.

The latest version is from Clay Aiken.

Mark Lowery wrote and first recorded Mary Did You Know. He’s a Baptist singer and comedian so he is writing from a Baptist POV. He comedy seemed sort of Catholic friendly but I still have probs with the MDYK lyrics.

From here:

Mark Lowry, author of the song, Mary, Did You Know?, is known for his singing and as a comedian, who spent many years with the Gaither Vocal band. But, he may be known more, years from now, for the song that came from his meditation written for a Christmas program at his church.

In 1984, he was asked to write a song for the Advent. He came up with questions he might ask Mary about her son, Jesus. The questions he came up with were used before each scene of the musical.

What is non-Catholic about the lyrics? I think it is lovely - I’ve never before heard a protestant addressing Mary in a song - kinda Catholic I think. I’ve only ever heard songs mentioning Mary. This one directly ‘talks to Mary’.
BTW, my daughter sang the best solo of this last Christmas in front of over 200 people. She brought tears to lots of eyes. I’m a bit proud of her.:slight_smile: SHe sang it beautifully.

From the MDYK:

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will one day walk on water?
Did you know
That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
** Did you know
That your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that youve delivered
Will soon deliver you**

These are the problematic lyrics. It is written from a non-Catholic perspective and all but denies the Immaculate Conception.

It’s a pretty song but I don’t like hearing at Midnight Mass, or ever for that matter, in a Catholic church. There are a lot of people in the pews who do not need this ignorance about their faith reinforced.

Have you (collectively) any feedback on Breath of Heaven?

complete lyrics here - carolingcorner.com/breathheaven.html

Breath Of Heaven
I have traveled many moonless nights,
Cold and weary with a babe inside,
And I wonder what I’ve done.
Holy father you have come,
And chosen me now to carry your son.

I am waiting in a silent prayer.
I am frightened by the load I bear.
In a world as cold as stone,
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now.
Be with me now.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.
Breath of heaven.

Do you wonder as you watch my face,
If a wiser one should have had my place,
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong.
Help me be.
Help me.

I really like ‘Breath of Heaven’ too, even though it’s a little wrong - of course Our Lady wasn’t alone, Joseph was right there with her :yup:

This can be taken as being during the part of her pregnancy prior to Joseph’s dream. In fact, Joseph’s dream could even be considered an answer to this prayer. This is a beautiful song, offhand the ONLY song I can think of that is from Mary’s first person perspective.(Other than songs that put her canticle to music) Although the lyrics are speculative, they can give us a greater appreciation for what Mary went through, particularly during that time of her pregnancy prior to Joseph’s dream.

Interesting. This, from a human perspective, creates a potential paradox in the space-time continuum. Ordinarily, cause and effect relationships sequentially occur that first the cause happens, and then as a result, the effect. The Immaculate Conception, however, is different in that the effect(The Immaculate Conception) occured on the timeline of human events BEFORE the cause (Jesus dying on the cross and rising again on the third day.) So can we say to Mary, “This Child that you’ve delivered
will soon deliver you” without denying the Immaculate Conception? That’s a tough one, because while Mary’s deliverance has already happened, the cause of her deliverance is yet to occur. God, however, sees the whole process without the constraints of a timeline. Do I have this all correct, or am I mistaken on something?

So she was ‘cold’ during a balmy Middle Eastern spring then (which is the time of year the Annunciation and Visitation happened)? Doubt it somehow.

All I asked for was who sang the song. I never expected a synopsis of the words.

Kathy

That is pre-supposing that “Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day.” We don’t know what time of year the Annunciation and Visitation actually happened. “Cold” can also refer to feeling alone or distant from people.

Yes, Luke 1:26 claims, “in the sixth month,” but in my understanding that does not necessarily mean what we call “June,” but in context is referring to when Elizabeth was six months pregnant with John the Baptist.

Also, Matthew 1:18-24 is ambiguous as to how far along in her pregnancy Mary was before Joseph had his dream. We can infer that she must have been showing, for him to notice, although even that is not guaranteed.

Michael Crawfor (of Phantom of the Opera fame) sings it too and I like his rendition. I p/u on the off-theological point when I first heard it but still like the song; specifically like “kiss the face of God”.

You’re on Catholic Answers with people who would debate the correct way to tie shoelaces.:shrug: Of course you are going to get more then your question answered. :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe that Reba McEntire sings this song also. It’s definitely one of my favorites too!

So far this season, I’ve not heard this one time! Keeping my fingers crossed - cause this is the one that just makes me scream at the radio “OF COURSE She knew!”

This is one of my favorite Christmas songs. It is absolutely breath-taking! It makes me want to cry whenever I hear the last line: “This sleeping child your holding is the Great I AM” :tissues: :heart:

Here you can listen to examples of many versions, including the Von Trapp Family!

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_dmusic/002-4031501-5532808?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=mary+did+you+know

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.