Mary Garden

Has anyone ever created a Mary Garden? Either outdoors or on a windowsill?

Please let me know about your experiences.

We have a statue of the Immaculate Heart of Mary on the south side of our house. We placed a large planter in front of it in which we grow marigolds every spring/summer/fall. And on the north side of the house, facing the street we have a statue of St. Therese, the Little Flower in our front fern garden and a statue of St. Joseph in front of our porch with a planter box in which we plant annuals of varying kinds every spring. Right now they're all buried in about 4 feet of snow, but they are quite nice as reminder of our faith in the warmer months.

Aren't there certain types of flowers that comprise a "Mary Garden?" Seems like I've heard of maybe 7-10 different types of mostly blooming plants that are put together as a Mary Garden.

I have a very large yard and I want it to become a prayer garden...but I have a black thumb...well 2 thumbs actually....so I have to find some help to make my dream come true.

Good luck with your garden!

I "inherited" a concrete Virgin Mary statue that my sister gave to my Mom. She's been very successful at warded off the JWs that wander the neighborhood. They've never knocked on my door.

Thank you for your responses.

There are so many plants associated with our Mother, so there many options considering climate, space, conditions, etc. There are resources on the internet but I don't know how to create a link. I believe there is a website called marygardens.org.

I live in the northwest coast, but will be soon moving to a (winter) cold, but semi-arid landscape.

:slight_smile: That might ensure me peaceful Saturday mornings!

I'm kind of ticked. Are you all aware of the salvia plant?

google.com/search?q=salvia+pictures&rlz=1I7ADBR_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7

Such a beautiful flower, here in the midwest it's the one flower that blooms for a full month or more.

People are smoking it to get high :mad:

newsweek.com/2011/01/13/salvia-and-the-arizona-shooting.html

"Alleged Arizona shooter Jared Loughner used salvia, the hallucinogenic drug, according to a high-school friend of his. Obviously, Loughner was troubled. But did salvia have anything to do with it?"

Here is a site that gives a long list of flowers that may be suitable for a Mary Garden…it gives the name of the flower and why it is associated with Our Blessed Mother.

fisheaters.com/marygardens.html

[quote="grasscutter, post:5, topic:226197"]
Thank you for your responses.

There are so many plants associated with our Mother, so there many options considering climate, space, conditions, etc. There are resources on the internet but I don't know how to create a link. I believe there is a website called marygardens.org.

I live in the northwest coast, but will be soon moving to a (winter) cold, but semi-arid landscape.

[/quote]

If there is a particular plant you like, you could put it in a container if your soil isn't the type to support it. Just a suggestion from a non-gardener...take it for what it's worth...

:D

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:9, topic:226197"]
If there is a particular plant you like, you could put it in a container if your soil isn't the type to support it. Just a suggestion from a non-gardener...take it for what it's worth...

:D

[/quote]

In fact, that is what I should do. I have a small statue of Our Blessed Mother on my open front porch, near the front door. Container gardening is a good idea!

[quote="Barbkw, post:4, topic:226197"]
I "inherited" a concrete Virgin Mary statue that my sister gave to my Mom. She's been very successful at warded off the JWs that wander the neighborhood. They've never knocked on my door.

[/quote]

St. Francis does the same job for me. The statue of the Blessed Virgin that I want is a bit spendy, so I'll keep her indoors. I understand roses are her favorite (a garland of roses is a 'rosary'), but marigolds ('Mary's gold') are also traditional.

[quote="Dorothy, post:8, topic:226197"]
Here is a site that gives a long list of flowers that may be suitable for a Mary Garden.....it gives the name of the flower and why it is associated with Our Blessed Mother.

fisheaters.com/marygardens.html

[/quote]

Hmm... I'd be careful with that website. The gardening info may be just fine, but isn't it a sedevacantist (schismatic) site?

[quote="svid, post:12, topic:226197"]
Hmm... I'd be careful with that website. The gardening info may be just fine, but isn't it a sedevacantist (schismatic) site?

[/quote]

If it is, I didn't know. I should look around and see. I just googled Mary Gardens and that was one of the first ones that came up. :)

I looked around a bit, and although they are traditional, they don’t say “the chair is empty”, (which is what sedevacantists do, by not accepting our current pope.)

[quote="Dorothy, post:14, topic:226197"]
I looked around a bit, and although they are traditional, they don't say "the chair is empty", (which is what sedevacantists do, by not accepting our current pope.)

[/quote]

Okay, maybe they don't advertise it, or maybe I'm mistaken. I'm sure they got a bad review from Catholic Culture, because of lack of fidelity. Maybe they reject Vatican II or something. I'll check.

Yup, I checked. They reject Vatican II and the ‘new Mass’. But the review otherwise was very good, so otherwise I’m sure it’s very useful. As with most things these days, you just have to keep your eyes open. Tread carefully. Pax Christi!

I agree we have to “tread carefully” these days! :slight_smile:

And keep the good that we find as we tread.

Lord, be our Guide!

I have a stone wall in the front yard and it makes a perfect backdrop for my statue of Our Lady of the Immacualte Conception. It is a very shady spot, so I use containers and rotate them around her, putting them in a sunny spot after a week or so and trading in new ones. I use a few bigger tubs on the ground and then have a couple hanging plants on shepherds crooks. I am looking for a bench to place to the side near her. It is a very pleasant place to sit and pray the rosary or meditate. Mary welcomes all visitors as she has her palms turned outward. I get some nice compliments about Mary, too! :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.