Mary in the Scriptures

I was studying Mary as she is hidden in the Scriptures and found this link:

EWTN’s Mary in the Scriptures

It’s been fascinating so far. I love the part that describes how God slowly untangled the corrupted, sinful thread of humanity until Mary could be born as the perfect, sinless vessel to bear the Son. She is truly Our Lady, Untier of Knots.

I also appreciated the examples of how she parallels Abraham and Moses and all of the praiseworthy women of the OT.

I thought someone else might like it too. :blush:

14 Sing aloud, O daughter of Zion;
shout, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!
15 The Lord has taken away the judgments against you,
he has cast out your enemies.
The King of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst;
you shall fear evil no more.
16 On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:
“Do not fear, O Zion;
let not your hands grow weak.
17 The Lord your God is in your midst,
a warrior who gives victory;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
he will renew you in his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing
18 as on a day of festival. Zeph 3:14-18a

That’s beautiful! And thank you for the link. I’ve always wondered who the daughter of Zion was, there are so many interpretations. Is this one Catholic interpretation or thee Catholic interpretation. I’m afraid my eyes won’t let me research on screen and even reading these days otherwise I’d be researching the way I used to.

You’re welcome!

About the typology, I’m not an expert, but every book and article I’ve read identifies Mary with the Daughter of Zion. It also represents Israel, and as Mary is the flower of Israel, it especially means her.

This passage in Zephaniah definitely is referring to her. Whenever God talks about being “in the midst” of Israel, we can remember how Jesus was not only in the midst of His people, walking and talking with them, but also literally in their midst in Mary’s womb.

Daughter of Zion can also mean the Church, because Mary is the Mother of the Church and also a type and figure of the Church itself, as the Bride who responds to the Bridegroom. We respond to God in the Church the way she responded to God’s invitation.

And of course we can read this passage as a personal word of comfort and encouragement that God is rejoicing over each of us with gladness and singing. It’s such a beautiful image that it brings tears to my eyes.

There is so much beautiful imagery and poetry in God’s fulfillment of Scripture! Layers upon layers for us to meditate on.

Amen. Thank you so much I love learning new things about my faith. God bless

There may be dual typology here, with the daughter of Zion being The Church, as well. But I only say that as a possibility.

happy birthday Mary!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.