Mary is Alive?

On another thread I asserted that many on this forum would say they have actually met Mary - the living, breathing person, the Blessed Virgin. That one. You know, the Mother of God. Jesus’ Mother.

Ummmm… Where?

I voted yes. For me it was the 13th of August 1992 at approx 11:45am. A life changing event to say the least.

Well? Can you tell us about it?

Question number is not a fair question.
What are you trying to say here?

Are you comparing Virgin Mary with our earthly mother?
I have seen the earthly one, yet the Virgin Mary is very much alive and she has brought me to Jesus. People have seen both of them.

to the question “Is Mary Alive?”…Sure she is.
Do we have to prove it by saying we’ve met her in person?

Is Jesus alive? Do you see Him in person to believe?

I’ve seen my Blessed Virgin Mother through my faith.

Nope. No one personally have meet Mary, or even Jesus. It’s all base on faith.

There are some saints that met Mary personally - for example: St. Faustina and St. Bernadette - These are private revelations.

True. But the Catholics here now? I doubt that any forum members meet them.

We have received Christ in Holy Communion.

Well, St. Bernadette met her, Juan Diego met her, the three Fatima children met her. . .

If God wishes Mary to reveal herself to any person, then she will do His will.

While I cannot say that I have experienced the type of experience above, I do believe that I have experienced not just one but many, many meetings with Mary, in that I have consecrated myself to Mary (and thereby to Jesus) by the De Montford consecration back in 2004.

She is most certainly alive and our own Blessed Mother. What a marvelous gift!

If we talk about in this forum, then we see two votes already. :slight_smile:

As long as it doesn’t breach the forum rules regarding discussion of unapproved apparitions or messages from our Blessed Mother :yup:

Part of the reason I decided to post this poll was in response to the assertions of a certain forum member that “there is nothing a dead woman can do for us”. My response was that there is more proof that she is alive than he is. If you KNOW she is alive, and not just because someone told you she is, and she did something like show up and talk to you, then you have met her. When we were small children our mothers held us and took care of us, even before we were aware that we had mothers Over the years we became aware that she was there, and a person, and there were things she wanted for us and from us, etc. It is one thing to concede that Catholicism is correct in saying Mary is your mother as a theory; it is another thing to run into the force of her personality in a personal way. I have this theory that she is a LOT more active than we are aware of. I suspect a lot of what she has to say to people is the sort of thing your mother would say to you - not the sorts of things you tell everyone about. She, in other words, acts like a mother.

Oh yea - I forgot.

I have a feeling you’re right. Although I have never “met” her or seen her, I remember a story our priest told us a few years ago. He had a married friend who was dying in the hospital. His family was gathered around him, mourning his impending death. I don’t know the correct terminoligy for all of this, but apparently he died for a few minutes, and then was recesitated and lived for another day. Apparently, he was not at all happy about being brought back. His family asked him about his experience, and asked “did you see mom?” and he said “yes.” Did you see Jesus, and again, “yes.” Did you see the Blessed Virgin, and again he answerd “yes.” They then asked him what Mary looked like. He answered,“She’s all around you, all of the time, if you would only look.”

This story blew me away when I heard it, and ever since then, I have been trying to “see” Mary in my life. No, I have had no apparitions, or anything like that, but just trusting that she is here with us makes me feel so good, and comforts me a lot.

This is the reason why he was brought back - to be an eyewitness of the faith. :slight_smile:

This reminds me of Sister Lucia. The other two cousins were brought Home when they were young, but she had to live until recent years for the faith.

I had a revelation about Mary during a prayer service today. I had been reading about her by posters asking questions, and just came out and prayed for more understanding. I know Mary sits at the throne of God in a perfect union with Christ. She consistently manages to extract graces for us that Our Lord may not be so eager to impart.

We Catholics believe that we come into union with the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity in Communion. Mary provided the flesh and blood, the DNA, of the Incarnation. Jesus Christ, the person, came to us through her body. Their relationship is special and unique. No other person has this special privelege. In so far as we take Him, and receive eternal life, so we take in a part of her. Our recognition of Mary as Mother of the Church is tied into this as well.

As partakers in this union, Mary has a vested interest in nurturing our union with Christ, which is the role of the Church.
How can we not give her due respect and honor? She is every bit a mother as is our earthly mothers, but, more so, as she is the mother of our eternal life. And, she nurtures it through this special relationship with her Son who, we know through Scripture, obeyed her regardless of His own plans. I cannot think of anything more beautiful. God raised her specially for this most unique role, and it seems to me most of us do not recognize what it is all about. We do not spend enough time reflecting on these mysteries. We are too busy living our noisy lives and arguing with each other on these forums.

I have received unusual consolations from the Lord, today. I have never asked anything of her that she has not given me, yet. Of course, I only ask her for things that have to do with God’s Will. Those of you who doubt, I dare you to try it. Someone out there has been praying for me. Thank you, and keep it up.

The evening of my three year old brothers funeral. I was six my sister seven. In our bedrooms talking and worrying about who would be tucking our little brother in at night.
Lady dressed in blue standing in doorway, smiled, said not to worry he was with her.
We dove under the covers, never spoke to anyone about it, or even between ourselves until 40 years after.
Smelled like roses.
Have never forgotten him or Her.

Some of you may already know what my position on this is… but here it is anyway…

Mary’s earthly body is dead, in the ground. But, according to the scriptures, if she was saved she is present with the Lord. In that sense, everyone who is dead is alive.

From the persepective of eternity, the beginning of time and the end of time have already happened, so everyone who has died is already resurrected and reside and those who are saved have put on incorruptible bodies.

But, from our perspective (in time not eternity)… Mary’s body has not been resurrected so she can only be said to be alive spiritually in heaven (with the Lord).

I realize that Catholics don’t rely on the Bible for their sole source of truth, but Biblically there are only two people who have never died… Enoch, and Elijah. Ironically there will eventually be two witnessness to the Jews who will be killed.

Anyone who claims to have interacted with a glorified / incoruptible Mary, should be careful that they are not interacting with an imposter. It is well known that demons pose as prominent Biblical figures to deceive unsuspecting followers.

BA

This is not a fact you can prove. It is a tradition you espouse.

But, according to the scriptures, if she was saved she is present with the Lord. In that sense, everyone who is dead is alive.

Right.

But, from our perspective (in time not eternity)… Mary’s body has not been resurrected so she can only be said to be alive spiritually in heaven (with the Lord).

Resurrection implies death. There is a question as to whether the Blessed Mother, being made full of grace and without sin, suffered the bodily effects of sin (meaning death). The contention of historical Christianity is that the Blessed Mother was Assumed in to Heaven body and soul. Your perspective does not account for the possiblity that by a singular act, Jesus the Savior saved His own Mother from an earthly death.

I realize that Catholics don’t rely on the Bible for their sole source of truth,

Neither do you, despite your protestations, but that’s neither here nor there. . .:wink:

but Biblically there are only two people who have never died… Enoch, and Elijah. Ironically there will eventually be two witnessness to the Jews who will be killed.

Interesting “irony.”

And Biblically speaking, there is no internet and you do not exist. . .Hopefully, you see the absurdity of your statment here. Just because the Bible doesn’t reveal it doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Further, Scripture is not wholly silent on the topic of the Blessed Mother’s Assumption.

Anyone who claims to have interacted with a glorified / incoruptible Mary, should be careful that they are not interacting with an imposter. It is well known that demons pose as prominent Biblical figures to deceive unsuspecting followers.

One should test all spirits to know if they are of God.

I like to correct you in your misunderstanding regarding this claim of yours “Catholics don’t rely on the Bible for their sole source of truth”

The Catholic Church recognizes that the Word of God is Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition. Nether is greater than the other. Since the New Testament was proclaimed orally by the Apostles to generations of Christians some of whom will become bishops like St. Polycarp, St. Ignatius, St. Ireneaus, and so forth.

If you read the Bible in its entire context in the from Genesis to the Book of Revelation spoke of Messiah.

Genesis, 3:15

*“I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his kneels.”

He shall bruise your head. This He is Jesus.Who is the seed of the woman. The woman is Mary.*

I shall go Book of Revelations,

Revelations 12:1-6,

*And a great portent appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; she was with child and she cried out in her pangs of birth, in anguish for delivery. And another portent appeared in heaven; behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems upon his heads. His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven, and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to bear a child, that he might devour her child when she brought it forth; she brought forth a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron, but her child was caught up to God and to his throne, and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which to be nourished for one thousand two hundred and sixty days. *

The woman according to Catholic interpretation, is Mary because the woman gave birth to a male child who will rule all nations. The verse which I also mention tells of this child was caught up to God to his throne. We know that Jesus ascended into heaven, so yes this child is Jesus and this passage refers ascension of Jesus Christ.

When John wrote the Book of Revelation he saw this in a vision. You should also take into account that in John’s Gospel, he refer to Mary as 'woman." The Book is not written in Chronological order. So when John wrote this Mary was already dead and assumed into Heaven by her Son. This ancient tradition is held by the Eastern Rite Christians Orthodox and Catholic Rite. It’s not called the Assumption but the Dormition of Mary or falling asleep. In this tradition Mary died a normal death. Thereafter her death, the Twelve Apostles went to see visit her tomb and found it empty.

Jesus Christ took his mother up into heaven because of his love for her. She is a model for us all. She is the first Christian when Mary said, “Be it done unto me according to your Word.”

Unfortunately, Protestants abandon this tradition and stick to Bible Only doctrine, a man made doctrine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.