Mary Magdalen - Martha and Mary?

I was reading in Butler’s Lives of the Saints and saw that he equates Mary Magdalen with the Mary who’s brother Lazarus was raised from the dead, whom I had thought was the sister of Martha. I had thought Martha, Mary, and Lazarus were a family, and Mary Magdalen was a different Mary. Am I confused by my reading of scripture or by my reading of Fr. Butler? Thanks.

I’m no authority but I also thought Martha, Mary Magdalen and Lazarus were a family…

This is an issue on which various biblical scholars do not agree.

Many traditions hold that Mary (sister of Martha and Lazarus) and Mary Magdalene are the same Mary. Others dispute that and say it is two different women named Mary.

As far as I know, there is no official pronouncement of the Church one way or the other. Although, we do have feasts for St. Martha and St. Mary Magdalene, but none for St. Mary, sister of Martha. To me, that illustrates the prevalence of the belief that they were the same Mary. But that is far from being conclusive proof.

^^^ I go with this.

I second this

They are the same Mary. Read the beginning of chapter 11 In the gospel of St. John. ( I used to think they were different also). :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.