Mary, mediatrix of all graces

I am currently undergoing the total consecration to Jesus through Mary, and am doing it according to the book “33 days to morning glory.” Previous to this, I had understood Mary to be the mediatrix of all graces because Christ came through her, and thus the grace of Jesus entered fully into our fallen world through her.

Recently, however, in the book, it had this quote (apparently from St Maximilian Kolbe) on day 12: “The Holy Spirit does not act except through the Immaculata, His spouse. Hence, she is the Mediatrix of all the graces of the Holy Spirit.”

Is this in accord with Church teaching? Never before have I heard that the Holy Spirit restricts all His actions to going through Mary. I do not recall finding anything in Scripture or Tradition speaking of the limiting of all the Spirit’s actions through any individual, except from the Father and Son. Again, it is on day 12 of 33 days to morning glory. Can anyone give any context or affirm if this is doctrine?

In the Bible, Acts 1: 5 Jesus himself told the apostles not to leave Jerusalem, “for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days from now”
In Acts 2: 1-2, “when the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place, and suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing might wind… Verse 4, …and they were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterances”.
Jesus filled all the apostles, including Mary mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene, & Salome, and many others who were waiting for the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost.

In John 14:6, Jesus says, “I’m the Way, the Truth and the Life, NO-One comes to the Father EXCEPT through me”

In Luke 21:33 Jesus said, “Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but My Word shall Not pass away”
Jesus is enthroned in heaven, and at the end of time He’ll come to judge the living and the dead. And every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord.

I will be interested in the replies here as well…

While I have heard this before, a quick check of the Marion dogmas and the Catechism does not turn up this title…and frankly - like you - I find such a viewpoint to be troubling.

The Catechism makes one reference to “mediatrix” and refers us to Lumen Gentium.

Lumen Gentium in it’s teaching on the BVM (52-69) does not use the term Mediatrix of all Graces and indeed always refers to Graces in connection with one of the persons of the Trinity.
There are references in LG to various writings by the popes and perhaps this idea is developed in some of these…I don’t know…

However - based on these two primary documents for sound teaching in the Church (the Catechism and Lumen Gentium) it appears that the idea of Mary being “Mediatrix of all graces” is a pious - but personal - belief that we are free to embrace or not.

For myself, I find such things to be an unnecessary complication to an otherwise beautifully simple formula. “Love God above all else and Love neighbor as self” (Mt 22:36-40).

Peace
James

From the Catechism:

967 By her complete adherence to the Father’s will, to his Son’s redemptive work, and to every prompting of the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Mary is the Church’s model of faith and charity. Thus she is a “preeminent and . . . wholly unique member of the Church”; indeed, she is the “exemplary realization” (typus)510 of the Church.

968 Her role in relation to the Church and to all humanity goes still further. "In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior’s work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace."511

969 "This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation . . . . Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix."512

970 "Mary’s function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin’s salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it."513 "No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source."514

While I have heard this before, a quick check of the Marion dogmas and the Catechism does not turn up this title.

I have the greatest love and devotion to Our Lady. However the title Mediatrix of all graces leaves a bad taste in my mouth as we come to God through His Son, Jesus whom we adore.
To my knowledge the Church has not given Mary this title, and until it does, I will continue to ask Our Lady for her intercession and continue to seek forgiveness and graces from Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Mary will not be annoyed that we give our entire loyalty and adoration to her Son.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

St Maximilian Kolbe was a saint who had a great devotion to Mary. He outlined a way to totally consecrate oneself to Mary as a quick and sure want to find our Lord… “the one mediator between God and men.” (I Timothy 2:5)

Kolbe was surely very poetic in describing his love for our Lady, but we must not let these poetic musings distract from the one goal which is to find Christ…The Church encourages us to go to Mary for maternal assistance towards the goal of a more intimate connection to the one Mediator and Redeemer.

Lumen Gentium #62 states “Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked by the Church under the titles of Advocate, Auxiliatrix, Adjutrix, and Mediatrix. This, however, is to be so understood that it neither takes away from nor adds anything to the dignity and efficaciousness of Christ the one Mediator.” ** Notice that the document stops short of calling Mary the Mediatrix of All Graces… if you read about the formation of the document, you will find that the this omission was very purposeful. Some will reference the footnotes as providing evidence, but even those do not bestow that title.**

LG 67 - “But it exhorts theologians and preachers of the divine word to abstain zealously both from all gross exaggerations as well as from petty narrow-mindedness in considering the singular dignity of the Mother of God”….** Here LG makes it clear that over zealous devotion to our Lady would be an issue while at the same time keeping her very special place in salvation history in tact. **

Kolbe’s teachings were influenced greatly by Monfort… given the Church teachings I’ve referenced above, I wanted to bring attention to some comments Pope John Paul II made in 2003…. see michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm … the entire letter is well worth reading. I wanted to call attention to this piece… “This Saint’s teaching has had a profound influence on the Marian devotion of many of the faithful and on my own life. It is a lived teaching of outstanding ascetic and mystical depth, expressed in a lively and passionate style that makes frequent use of images and symbols. However, the considerable development of Marian theology since St. Louis Marie’s time is largely due to the crucial contribution made by the Second Vatican Council. The Montfort teaching, therefore, which has retained its essential validity should be reread and reinterpreted today in the light of the Council.” Essentially, this is saying that Monfort greatly influenced the Church’s teaching the core what he taught is included in the Church’s teaching, but it must be re-read and reinterpreted in light of the official Church teaching in Lumen Gentium…

I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else! I love through your forum topic.You can also visit about yoga dvd for more information.

Ludwig Ott’s book “The Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” lists Mary mediatrix of all graces as a dogmatic teaching, does it not?

This post reported as spam.

He’s not the Magisterium, TRH. :wink: As a previous poster noted, we must interpret this teaching as the Church understands it. I believe his book outdates this teaching, having been written in 1955. His opinion does not qualify as dogma, IOW.

It might - but is Ott’s book an official Church document?

So far as I know there are 4 Marion Dogma’s:

1. Mary - Mother of God.
  2. The Perpetual Virginity of Mary.
  3. The Immaculate Conception.
  4. The Assumption of Mary into heaven.

THIS article lists the dogma’s and when each was dogmatically declared.
Note that Mediatrix of all Graces is not among these.

Peace
James

Of course Ludwig Ott’s book is not a Church document. :rolleyes: It is mearly a reliable resource for finding information.

That being said, doctrines defined by solemn definition are not the only truth’s of the faith. There are plenty of other teachings of the Church on Mary outside of those four, Such as that she is Queen of Heaven, or that she is mother of all believers.

I keep Mary’s roll in our salvation in perspective and have no issues with the title, Mediatrix of all Graces, it was through Mary that I came to Christ.

This is fine so long as the information is clearly stated so that it can be properly understood by the faithful.

That being said, doctrines defined by solemn definition are not the only truth’s of the faith. There are plenty of other teachings of the Church on Mary outside of those four, Such as that she is Queen of Heaven, or that she is mother of all believers.

Agreed.
However - - what we are trying to do is to help the OP to better understand what is troubling him/her
Consider what the OP relates as a quote from the book…
*“The Holy Spirit does not act except through the Immaculata, His spouse. Hence, she is the Mediatrix of all the graces of the Holy Spirit.” *
This is a rather remarkable statement to make about the third person of the Trinity and in my view - is not something I am inclined to embrace without a solemn definition by the Church.

While I am quite comfortable (on some levels) with the idea of coming to Christ through Mary, there are certain ideas contained in the commonly used devotions that I am just not comfortable with. Mediatrix of all graces is one.

Peace
James

Well said James.

There is no “however”.

God chose to act through people. God chose to act through Moses, David, Solomon, Judith, Esther, the prophets, Judas Maccabees, the authors of the Scriptures, John the Baptist, the Apostles. God himself chose to become a person - Jesus, and not only a person but the lowest and humblest of persons. This he chose to do. God even chose to become a person through another person - Mary. Christ chooses to become present to us on the altar and chooses to grant us forgiveness and healing in the confessional through a person - the priest. It is his choice to do so.

God can and does act on his own but he prefers to act through people. Why then is it so surprising that God the Holy Spirit acts through a person to dispense grace? It is in his nature to act through people. There is no “however.” No one should ever hesitate to embrace the beautiful plan for our salvation which God has provided. That plan includes Mary. There should never be hesitation or an “however.”

For those who require it in writing, ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya4a.htm

People on these forums complain about Protestantization of the Catholic faith. Hesitation to accept the fullnes of Mary’s role in our salvation, or outright denial of it, is by far the most egregious Protestantization of the Catholic faith since the reformation itself. The idea that Mary is not the Mediatrix of Grace is entirely modern. Nothing is more Catholic except the Eucharist itself.

-Tim-

Fair enough -

However - - :smiley:

For me - the idea of Mary being the mediatrix pf all graces is an unnecessary complication to an otherwise simple plan of salvation.

In the past I’ve expressed it like this.
Grace comes from God - now if God chooses that all grace comes through Mary - that is fine with me. But I don’t need to ask Mary for the grace…I can and should ask God. That is how Jesus taught us to pray.

It’s like ordering a product from a company on the internet. The company may choose to send ALL of their packages via UPS, or they might use Fed-X exclusively. That fact may be important to them - but not to me. I don’t contact UPS to ask for my package, I contact the company and THEY decide how to get it to me.

As far as I am concerned the same is true with graces. The are from God and we receive them from God. How God chooses to get them here is His business.

Different strokes for different folks…

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.