Mary mother of God

Need a good answer when someone says that we should not say Hail Mary prayer because it say she is the mother of God.
I’ve already said isn’t Jesus and God the same person?? They answer yes. So what’s the problem?? They say we are trying to put her above God. I don’t and I don’t think any Catholics do so what their problem??? I need a good answer to get through their thick heads. I’m tired of them telling me what I think or believe :mad:

The title “Mother of God” affirms the deity of Christ. If they say that Mary gave birth to the human Jesus but not God Jesus they are either saying that at some point Jesus was not divine, or that His divinity can be separated from His humanity. Nobody is putting Mary above God.

The best way to handle people that make claims like that, or tell you what you believe is to hand them the Bible and a copy of the Catechism and have them show you where to find whatever it is that they say we believe. :thumbsup:

Don’t let 'em rattle you Chacha.

Look at this verse.
[size=][FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]Luke 2:[40] and she entered the house of Zechari’ah and greeted Elizabeth.
[41] And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit
[42] and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!
[43] And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
[/size]
[44] For behold, when the voice of your greeting came to my ears, the babe in my womb leaped for joy.
[45] And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfilment of what was spoken to her from the Lord."

That verse where Elizabeth says “[43] And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” says it all. The word Lord there is only ever used to apply to God. The Bible itself teaches that Mary was the Mother of God and even the leaders of the Protestant Reformation believed and preached it, though their modern step children do not.[/FONT]

My thanks to San Juan Catholic Seminars for publishing this in their Beginning Apologetics # 5 booklet.

The three “pillars of the reformation”, Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli, all believed that Mary was the mother of God.

Mother of God

Martin Luther: “In this work whereby she was made the Mother of God, so many and such good things were given her that no one can grasp them… Not only was Mary the mother of Him who is born [in Bethlehem], but of Him who, before the world, was eternally born of the Father, from a Mother in time and at the same time man and God.” (The Works of Luther, English translation by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, Vol. 7, page 572)

John Calvin: “It cannot be denied that God in choosing and destining Mary to be the Mother of His Son, granted her the highest honor…Elizabeth calls Mary Mother of the Lord, because the unity of the person in the two natures of Christ was such that she could have said that the mortal man engendered in the womb of Mary was at the same time the eternal God.” (Calvini Opera, Corpus reformatorum, Braunschweig-Berlin, 1863-1900, Vol. 45, page 348 and 335.)

Ulrich Zwingli: “It was given to her what belongs to no creature, that in the flesh she should bring forth the Son of God.” ( Zwingli Opera, Corpus reformatorum, Berlin, 1905, in Evang. Luc., Op. Comp., Vol.
6, I, page 639.)

When they say that stating the truth about Mary and Jesus is trying to put Mary above God, just tell them that’s nonsense, and you’re worried that they are denying the divinity of Christ and/or the reality of the Incarnation. And say it as many times as is necessary. Put them on the defensive.

Thanks for your answers. I also found another thread that has some good points.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=73566

I’m still reading the other thread also but if anyone has anything else to add to this one I’ll be checking back.

Thanks again:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.