Mary, Mother of Mercy, pray for us!

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Tomorrow is the Feast of Divine Mercy, and the Church has for many years called on Mary as Mother of Mercy – particularly in the prayer, “Hail Holy Queen”:

Hail, Holy Queen

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!
Our life, our sweetness, and our hope!
To thee do we cry, poor banished
children of Eve, to thee do we send
up our sighs, mourning and weeping
in this valley, of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us; and
after this our exile show unto us the
blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus;
O clement, O loving, O sweet virgin Mary.

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God

That we may be made worthy of the
promises of Christ.

On this Saturday (traditionally “Mary’s Day” in the Catholic Church") let us honor her who by the power of the Holy Spirit, said “Yes” and became the Mother of Jesus, our Life, our Sweetness and our Hope. The union between Jesus and Mary is unique and beyond any other union of love between son and mother. Her Mercy is one with His in a unique way for she loved Him with the fullness of her being.

Mary, Mother of Mercy, pray for us that we may receive through you all the graces we need to become Merciful as our Heavenly Father is Merciful. Especially in praying your Rosary, and meditating on the mysteries of your life with Jesus on this earth, may we become more and more children worthy of so noble a Mother.

With all due love and respect for our Blessed Lady, Jesus is our Savior … we should focus on Him this Divine Mercy Sunday … it is His mercy we seek.

Hail, Holy Queen

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!
Our life, our sweetness, and our hope!
To thee do we cry, poor banished
children of Eve, to thee do we send
up our sighs, mourning and weeping
in this valley, of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus;
O clement, O loving, O sweet virgin Mary.

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God

That we may be made worthy of the
promises of Christ.

Peace

My dear sister in Christ, Katherine,

Of course, with great love, we should and we do focus on Jesus this Feast of Divine Mercy, and Mary is with Him as the Mother of Mercy. As St. John Paul II said:

Where the Mother is there too is the Son. When one moves away from the Mother, sooner or later he ends up keeping distant from from the Son as well. It is no wonder today, in various sectors of secularized society, we note a widespread crisis of faith in God, preceded by a drop in devotion to the Virgin Mother" – words of Pope John Paul II spoken on October 30, 1982

We do Jesus no disrespect in honoring His Mother, but rather please Him in reminding ourselves and our brothers and sisters of God’s love for Her as Mother and Model of the Church. God has chosen to send His Mercy, His Jesus, the Incarnate Son, through Mary. She truly is the Mother of Mercy as the Mother of Jesus. The reason I write so often on Mary in this Forum, Katherine, is because I believe St. John Paul II saw a real danger growing in the Catholic Church of lessening true devotion to Mary.

If you have read the Diary of St. Faustina (who belonged to the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lay of Mercy) you may remember her tender conversations with Mary. I believe the Church needs to see the beautiful union between Jesus and Mary in order to grow in holiness as Mary did. St. Faustina’s Diary conveys this union of Mother and Son. Mary always points us to Jesus her Son, repeating the words she spoke at Cana: “Do whatever He tells you”.

My prayer for all of us is that by the power of the Holy Spirit and through the intercession of Mary, we may all continue to pray the prayer Jesus asked St. Faustina to have beneath His Image: “Jesus, I trust in You”. Mary is surely our Model as we see in her life, her perfect trust. By God’s Mercy may we grow as Mary did on this earth in Faith, Hope and above all Charity.

Dear hazcompat,

Thanks for repeating this beautiful prayer to our clement, loving, sweet virgin Mary, asking her to pray that we may become worthy of the promises of Christ. Mary is our Mother and Model and continually intercedes for us. How beautiful is that prayer’s petition:

…Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus…

On this Feast of Divine Mercy may we look at the image of Jesus and gaze with Mary on Her Son as she gazed upon Him at the foot of His Cross. By His Mercy, may we pray often the prayer Jesus taught to St. Faustina: “Jesus, I trust in You!” By His Mercy, may we grow as did Mary our Mother and all the saints in holiness, becoming merciful as our heavenly Father is Merciful.

I second the motion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.