Mary Not At Last Supper

Dear All:

I was wondering what the thought was on Mary’s absence at the Last Supper since she is usually front and center at events related to salvation. Just curious…

At the last supper, when Christ said, “Do this in memory of me.” He confected the ordination to the priesthood on all those present.

Christ did not desire the ordination of women. Therefore Mary was not present.

Josh

wow, what a concept. (sorry ;P)

I think I have heard it said somewhere that as a Jewish passover meal, it would have been a family thing, so Mary and other woman and children would have been present.

But I guess it wasnt the typical passover meal, it was a passover with a difference. so perhaps this observation above would be one of the differences, which Christ saw fit to change so that he could complete the New covanent, or get it started.

Nor is it quite clear that this was the Passover meal – there are some difficulties in determining the date of the Last Supper in the various gospels.

Nor is it quite clear that this was the Passover meal – there are some difficulties in determining the date of the Last Supper in the various gospels.

I have heard this said before, but I was just curious as to why you might suggest this was not the passover meal, albeit with Christs alterations.

JOhn 13:1 Now before the festival of the passover,
Luke 22:7-8 …Go and prepare the passover meal for us…

It was Passover she was probably present. The bible is not a script it does not have everything that went on, or mention everone that was at any event ,like a guest list.

I heard women and men ate seperate. Now she may have helped set everything up for the Passover.

[quote=starrs0]I heard women and men ate seperate. Now she may have helped set everything up for the Passover.
[/quote]

If this was the case and indeed the women were in a seperate room, then Christ would have invited the women to come join them if HE desired to ordain them. Remember that He was not exactly the most orthodox with the traditions of the time!

In this scenario there is even more proof for the non-ordination of women.

Hi,

This might shed light on the role of women in Judaism-
written by a rabbi :

askmoses.com/qa_detail.html?h=405&o=18748&dns=1

Best, :tiphat:
reen12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.