Mary of Agreda's Bilocation to America?

It is claimed that Mary of Agreda had the power of bilocation. And that she went to the Indians in Arizona and New Mexico! Is there any proof of this event in Indian stories or any source that corroborated such a miracle?:smiley:

I looked at this closely a few years ago, and found it very convincing.

As I recall, many Indians visited the missions asking for baptism, explaining that they had been instructed to do so by a woman who matched Mary of Agreda’s description. When the explorers returned to Spain they found Mary in her convent, and she was able to describe people and things they had seen in the New World.

Something like that. :slight_smile:

I looked closely at the dates of the events, and the dates of the documents which described them, and found it just sooooooo close to irrefutable… but not quite. :slight_smile:

What does the Church say about it?

That’s interesting! I am familiar with her famous books The Mystical City of God. First translated into English in 1900, and is still in print, both in a condensed version, and in the full 4 volume version. It is a VERY worthwhile read.

I know many bishops and even popes considered her book to be valuable and orthodox.

The book, Father Solanus by C M Odell, has this to say about Mary of Agreta.

“…the writer describes the “life of Mary.” Father Solanus found it a rich source for contemplating Mary’s role in salvation.”

“The work had mixed reviews within the Church. Rome questioned the author’s views about the truth of her work. Anyone who denied its contents committed a sin, she claimed. Because of statements like that, Pope Clement XIV stopped her beatification process in 1771. The work was condemned ninety years earlier due to some statements which theologians saw as extreme. Dispite criticism of her written work, Mary of Agreda was acknowledged as a woman of great holiness.”

“…He saw the work primarily as a tool of inspiration and devotion. He had begun to regularly recommend it to people who came to him for spiritual counseling.”

And later in Fr. Solanus’ life I believe it says he more or less gave up this book in his work with people because he received so much flack over it.

By the by, the biography of Father Solanus is an interesting read. He was a Simplex priest in the Capuchian order.

You’ve ferreted out some negative info that I’ve never seen. However, the English translator has a detailed description in his introduction of all of the many ecclesiastical approbations the book received, including popes.

Personally, I don’t believe the people of this generation can read such a thing anymore, unless they have an antiquarian streak, making them familiar with Tridentine times, and with Catholic devotional practices and teachings then current.

I rarely mention the things I have read in the books for this reason. It would be grossly misunderstood and misinterpreted in these days of gay marriage, no-fault divorce, abortion, child sex abuse and morality in general. Add to this the infidelity of Christians around the world, the supremacy of science and liberalism and the books are plainly out of their element.

But, there are souls here and there, that still cherish the old ways, and who would benefit from reading Mother Mary Agreda. :smiley:

I agree that if a person gets something from it, then I think they should read it. But like you said, it was written in a different time when the faith had another devotional slant to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.