Mary or Joseph from the house of David?

Who is from the house of David, Mary or Joseph? I am having a hard time finding the answer to this question. Also, does it matter which one is from the house of David?
:confused:
Thanks,
Nonie

[quote=Nonie]Who is from the house of David, Mary or Joseph? I am having a hard time finding the answer to this question. Also, does it matter which one is from the house of David?
:confused:
Thanks,
Nonie
[/quote]

Mary was. In the Jewsih Faith geneology is traced through the Mother.

[quote=Nonie]Who is from the house of David, Mary or Joseph?
[/quote]

Matthew 1 traces Jesus’ genealogy.

Read Matthew 1:15-16 and Luke 1:27.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

[quote=estesbob]Mary was. In the Jewsih Faith geneology is traced through the Mother.
[/quote]

That is not quite accurate. If we look at all of the geneologies in Scripture they are paternal save for Jesus who is a mixture for various reason.

It is definate that Joseph was of the House of David because he was from Nazareth and tradition holds that mary was also from the line of David which would be in context with Hebrew marriage customs of marriage internally in a tribe and not outside the tribe.

The importance of Jesus being of the House of David is that it fulfills OT prophecy concerning the branch springing from the root of Jesse.

[quote=mosher]That is not quite accurate. If we look at all of the geneologies in Scripture they are paternal save for Jesus who is a mixture for various reason.

[/quote]

For an orthodox Jew one is not considered a Jew unless the Mother is Jewish. I assumed it was the same in jesus’s tme but i could be wrong.

Since Joseph was the stepfather and since propehcy assured us that Jesus would be of the house of David this would have to have come from Mary.

I was always taught that they were both from the house of David, but I wouldn’t know where to even begin defending that:)

They probably both were.

Since the long-awaited Messiah was to be born of David’s line, they would surely have been matched to this end. It had to have been an arranged marriage since Mary’s intention was to remain a virgin.

I read somewhere that Mary would have also had to be a descendant of Aaron, since only his descendants could be High Priest and Jesus was both Victim and High Priest. It seems logical.

[quote=estesbob]Mary was. In the Jewsih Faith geneology is traced through the Mother.
[/quote]

We know Joseph is from the House of David because Scipture tells us and one of the other posters has given the passages. Where does it say Mary was from House of David?

[quote=thistle]We know Joseph is from the House of David because Scipture tells us and one of the other posters has given the passages. Where does it say Mary was from House of David?
[/quote]

Looks lke I was wrong! Not the frst time I am sory to say

[quote=thistle]We know Joseph is from the House of David because Scipture tells us and one of the other posters has given the passages. Where does it say Mary was from House of David?
[/quote]

Mary had to have been from the House of David since she was Jesus’ only human parent.

[quote=Eileen T]Mary had to have been from the House of David since she was Jesus’ only human parent.
[/quote]

You shouldn’t guess and make assumptions. The Church doesn’t teach what you have just said. It is sufficient that Joseph, as foster father and legal guardian of Jesus was from the House of David.

Both Mary and Joseph were from the house of David. They were distant cousins so to speak.

[quote=estesbob]For an orthodox Jew one is not considered a Jew unless the Mother is Jewish. I assumed it was the same in jesus’s tme but i could be wrong.

Since Joseph was the stepfather and since propehcy assured us that Jesus would be of the house of David this would have to have come from Mary.
[/quote]

True, but this is how one determines if one is ethnically a Jew but not how one establishes ones tribe which is traced paternally.

[quote=thistle]You shouldn’t guess and make assumptions. The Church doesn’t teach what you have just said. It is sufficient that Joseph, as foster father and legal guardian of Jesus was from the House of David.
[/quote]

Right, there are two ways to determine lineage in the Jewish practice. One is lineage by blood and one is lineage by the law. Adoption by the legal formula is considered just as strong to establish a tribe as actual birth into that tribe.

Both were
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99
Where does it say in scripture that Mary was of the house of David? I thought that one of the important points about Joseph marrying mary has that he was of the house of David, and therefore Jesus became legally of the house of David through Joseph.

Try Numbers 1-5 & 35-36
Scripture is not silent on the lineage of Mary. Joseph and Mary were devout Jews who knew and followed the Law. Mary was an only child, as such she was required, by Jewish Law (Numbers 36, 7), to marry a man from her own “tribe” or house. Both Joseph and Mary were of the house of David.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBO.org
Numbers 36, 5 Moses answered the children of Israel, and said by the command of the Lord: The tribe of the children of Joseph hath spoken rightly. 6 And this is the law promulgated by the Lord touching the daughters of Salphaad: Let them marry to whom they will, only so that it be to men of their own tribe. 7 Lest the possession of the children of Israel be mingled from tribe to tribe. For all men shall marry wives of their own tribe and kindred: 8 And all women shall take husbands of the same tribe: that the inheritance may remain in the families,
This of course must be kept in context, it only applies to families who have no male children. Men must marry within their own tribe only if their wife to be has no brother.

[quote=Tom]Both were
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99
Where does it say in scripture that Mary was of the house of David? I thought that one of the important points about Joseph marrying mary has that he was of the house of David, and therefore Jesus became legally of the house of David through Joseph.

Try Numbers 1-5 & 35-36
Scripture is not silent on the lineage of Mary. Joseph and Mary were devout Jews who knew and followed the Law. Mary was an only child, as such she was required, by Jewish Law (Numbers 36, 7), to marry a man from her own “tribe” or house. Both Joseph and Mary were of the house of David.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBO.org
Numbers 36, 5 Moses answered the children of Israel, and said by the command of the Lord: The tribe of the children of Joseph hath spoken rightly. 6 And this is the law promulgated by the Lord touching the daughters of Salphaad: Let them marry to whom they will, only so that it be to men of their own tribe. 7 Lest the possession of the children of Israel be mingled from tribe to tribe. For all men shall marry wives of their own tribe and kindred: 8 And all women shall take husbands of the same tribe: that the inheritance may remain in the families,
This of course must be kept in context, it only applies to families who have no male children. Men must marry within their own tribe only if their wife to be has no brother.
[/quote]

thanks Tom! :thumbsup:

That is an important point that is often neglected. The inheratanc of each tribe was to stay in that tribe because each was given an equal portion by God except the Levites who have a different portion of the Divine inheratance. However, even the Levites were bound to intermarry so that their portion was not given to another tribe in particular because of their priestly role.

Numbers is an excellent source for Mary, you’ll also find there the reason she was and always remained a virgin. Try this thread:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=11145

Here’s an article on the geneology of Jesus.

I found it interesting because it specifically has info about Marian Genealogy under bullet # 2. It’s a bit lengthy, but pertains to this thread.

Here’s a tidbit of what St Augustine and other church fathers thought. (There’s much more info in the article)
Augustine reasoned that Mary had to be of the family of David, because Jesus was born “from the seed of David,” and no male seed was involved in Jesus’ conception.

New Light on the Geneologies of Jesus

Thanks for all this great info!
Interesting stuff!
:thumbsup:
Nonie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.