Mary, Saints and the answering of prayers

I have heard many Catholics (laity & priest) say things like “Mary has given me such and such blessing” or things like “this or that saint has done this for me or that”. I am Catholic and I believe in the Communion of the Saints and the ability of Mary and the Saints to intercede on our behalf. However I was wondering if anyone thinks this type of language is strong or even wrong. What I mean is we pray to Mary and the Saints so that they may pray on our behalf. But I don’t think we receive anything from them; I mean is it not the Blessed Trinity that answers our prayers and give us the Blessings and not the Saints themselves or Mary, but Christ. I have no problem with Asking for Intersection but is it not wrong to claim that we receive our good gift’s from anyone other than God.
Hope I get some good responses.
May the Lord Bless you ALL

[quote=cristian84]I have heard many Catholics (laity & priest) say things like “Mary has given me such and such blessing” or things like “this or that saint has done this for me or that”. I am Catholic and I believe in the Communion of the Saints and the ability of Mary and the Saints to intercede on our behalf. However I was wondering if anyone thinks this type of language is strong or even wrong. What I mean is we pray to Mary and the Saints so that they may pray on our behalf. But I don’t think we receive anything from them; I mean is it not the Blessed Trinity that answers our prayers and give us the Blessings and not the Saints themselves or Mary, but Christ. I have no problem with Asking for Intersection but is it not wrong to claim that we receive our good gift’s from anyone other than God.
Hope I get some good responses.
May the Lord Bless you ALL
[/quote]

Lets say I’m poor and I really really want to go to college. So I pray and pray and pray that God will give me the money to go to college. My rich aunt suddenly decides to give me $50,000 to go to college for 4 years.

Yes, God has answered my prayer. God has given me money to go to college. But could I not also say that my Aunt gave me money to go to college? Are not both accurate? All gifts and answer to prayer come from God alone. But the means in which he chooses to answer our prayers, wether direct, or through the intercessions of others, is His choice and will. Recognizing the manner in which God answers our prayers does nothing but glorify him further.

Josh

Now many signs and wonders were done among the people by the hands of the apostles. (Acts 5:12)

I struggle with this myself, not so much because i was told Catholics worship Mary before my conversion but because whilst in the conversion process i learned that many protestants think that, so i was very careful in my prayers to watch my words. You must understand that when God works through people (living and dead), he brings himself that much closer to us and makes himself more real in our lives. Of course he wants you to be grateful that there are people who chose him and made themselves worthy to be his vessels for helping his other children! When the people exclaim over the blessings from saintly intercessions, they are just marvelling at how nice it is to have fellow men and women looking out for us. Unless they’re practicing santeria, they know God is the ultimate source and whom they give glory when they thank his humble servants for their prayers.

Hi All: It’s a pleasure to read such reasoned and well written posts. I pray to three Saints for intercession. The Virgin Mary, St. Jude Thaddeus and Mary of Magdala. The two Marys’ I ask for their prayers for all sinners everywhere, whoever or whatever they be. Although I can’t see their intercession, I haven’t any doubt concerning it, St.Jude, my Patron Saint and Conformation name, I have seen signs of his. However I thank them for intercession only not for answering my prayers themselves. Dan

If I ask everyone here to pray for me because I have been diagnosed with cancer, and I ask every one at my neighboring protestant to church to pray for me, all will be happy to do so and will pray earnestly. When God heals me miraculously, or whether he empowers the doctors and therapy to be the means of my healing, or whether He strengthens me to bear the illness, and even death, in all these cases He has heard the many prayers offered in my behalf. If I also have asked the saints to pray for me, He has heard their prayers as well. None of those praying for me healed or strengthened me by their own power, yet all participated, by the act of their prayer, which unites them with God, in His action in my life.

[quote=puzzleannie]If I ask everyone here to pray for me because I have been diagnosed with cancer, and I ask every one at my neighboring protestant to church to pray for me, all will be happy to do so and will pray earnestly. When God heals me miraculously, or whether he empowers the doctors and therapy to be the means of my healing, or whether He strengthens me to bear the illness, and even death, in all these cases He has heard the many prayers offered in my behalf. If I also have asked the saints to pray for me, He has heard their prayers as well. None of those praying for me healed or strengthened me by their own power, yet all participated, by the act of their prayer, which unites them with God, in His action in my life.
[/quote]

Hi Puzzleannie
Just wanted you to know that I will keep you in my prayers.

[quote=puzzleannie]If I ask everyone here to pray for me because I have been diagnosed with cancer, and I ask every one at my neighboring protestant to church to pray for me, all will be happy to do so and will pray earnestly. When God heals me miraculously, or whether he empowers the doctors and therapy to be the means of my healing, or whether He strengthens me to bear the illness, and even death, in all these cases He has heard the many prayers offered in my behalf. If I also have asked the saints to pray for me, He has heard their prayers as well. None of those praying for me healed or strengthened me by their own power, yet all participated, by the act of their prayer, which unites them with God, in His action in my life.
[/quote]

Annie, don’t scare me like that! I read your post and didn’t register the first word: “If.” Havin’ an infarction here!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.