Mary spoke to me in a dream this morning

Or at least that's the best way to put it. I was in one of those states early this morning where I was almost awake, but still asleep. I heard a voice in my head say to continue to pray the Rosary daily - I had been making myself commit to doing it every day since Monday - and that my "seed would bear a girl", and that we should call her Meghan. That exact spelling appeared before my eyes, then I snapped into being fully awake, wondering if I had really experienced what I had felt.

The Blessed Virgin never formally announced herself to me, and I never saw her, but I just know it was her speaking. There was just so much love in her voice.

I'm currently going through RCIA... I had been having a rough couple of weeks lately, and I was starting to wonder if the Catholic Church was truly right for me. I had been praying for something to strengthen my faith and to get me back on the right course, and this is far more than I could have hoped for.

Just wanted to share... I've only told my fiancee about it so far, but it's just so hard to think about it and not want to tell everyone.

You have not actually offered any proof, besides your own belief, that this was in fact the Theotokos.

There are fewer than a dozen dreams of any spiritual significance in all the pages of the Bible, which covers 2000 years or so of human history.

The Fathers say that most of our dreams are meaningless, and that assuming they are significant is one of the traps laid for beginners.

and then there are dreams that have lead people to the Church.

what I’m saying is that it’s good to be skeptical, but if a dream encourages faith and devotion to Mary, that is a good thing, so it’s more likely from God than not.

whenever Mary appears to someone it’s a good idea to submit it to ones spiritual director, but the OP is in RCIA and probably does not have a spiritual director yet. So most likely this was given just as a form of encouragement… I think that is pretty likely, though Im not in a place to judge.

As for what the Fathers said, I think they were referring to ordinary dreams… What about the dream of St Joseph?

Michael, I thought you would be interested in this article :slight_smile: it’s about a family that was lead to the Church by Our Lady, and one of them had dreams about her. Your post reminded me of this :slight_smile:

catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=17679

of course I don’t know if your dream was definitely from Mary and I dont know about “Meghan”, (I guess you’ll know in the future :)) but if this is leading you closer to the Church, it sounds like God is using it :slight_smile:

God bless!

You know, skeptisism is wonderful, unless of course you let your self drown in it. What if Joseph took this approch when an Angel was sent to him in a dream to tell him to keep Mary? Or to run to Egypt?

Now I’m not saying this is on this level, I’m just pointing out that such things have happend in dreams so don’t just discount it. Also don’t go running down the streets proclaiming to the world that the Holy Mother talked to you in a dream. As you did aptly point out, there’s at least as good a chance, if not better that it was just a dream perhaps influenced by RCIA. But again, maybe it wasn’t. Just accept it for what it is, continue praying the rosary daily, and if you have a daughter, why not name her Meghan?

Basically just let things happen, and don’t seek too much undo attention at this point. If it’s real, and if there comes a point in time when the Holy Mother wants you to start telling people about your dreams, she’ll let you know. Until that point, no harm in talking about it here on CAF, and hey what a fun experience. Even if it is just a dream.

Thank you so much for sharing!

I believe you. I even have a word for the state when this happens, these moments of clarity, twilight dreams.

I’ve had Virgin Mary dreams too but the thing you need to be careful is that the devil can use her to trick you sometimes so be cautious but like you said if she told you to pray then it was probely her. It is important for us to pray it is a way to talk to God. Dont feel bad about the Church you made a great decision to join the catholic church. you are in my prayers.:slight_smile:

Love and Pray for your enemies and those who persecute you.

I don’t know about dreams, but a good way to test visions etc is to make the sign of the Cross. (and holy water)

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback everyone.

bpbasilphx, you are absolutely right, I have offered no proof. And I can’t. But I’m not asking anyone to believe anything, or that this was of any significance to anyone but myself and my fiance. I just wanted to share what, to me, was a moving experience.

I haven’t shared this with anyone other than my fiancee, a couple of very close friends, and this forum. The only reason I posted it here is because I have a level of anonymity. I am not seeking any attention from this, nor do I want it. I’m certainly not asking to have it declared a miracle. I honestly believe this was the Holy Spirit answering my prayer for more faith, and to give me the tools I need to fight against a sin I’ve been struggling with personally.

Thanks again, and God bless you all.

[quote="Monica4316, post:4, topic:176938"]
Michael, I thought you would be interested in this article :) it's about a family that was lead to the Church by Our Lady, and one of them had dreams about her. Your post reminded me of this :)

catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=17679

of course I don't know if your dream was definitely from Mary and I dont know about "Meghan", (I guess you'll know in the future :)) but if this is leading you closer to the Church, it sounds like God is using it :)

God bless!

[/quote]

WOW! My parish is actually part of the Diocese of Arlington! I had heard someone talking about a family of Hindus that had converted to Catholicism at Bible study a few weeks ago, but didn't realize it was so close to this area. That's amazing! Thanks for the link!

[quote="Monica4316, post:9, topic:176938"]
I don't know about dreams, but a good way to test visions etc is to make the sign of the Cross. (and holy water)

[/quote]

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean? Can you explain for me please?

wow! :smiley: that’s awesome :slight_smile:

Hi, well many of the Saints - when they saw a vision or an apparition, they made the sign of the Cross or threw holy water on it… and if it went away, then obviously it’s not from God :slight_smile: if it stayed, then it’s more likely. St Gemma was instructed by Christ to say “Blessed be Jesus and Mary” every time she saw a vision, and it was supposed to repeat the words perfectly… if it did not, (or didn’t say all the words) then she knew it was demonic.

Hope that helps…

God bless

yeah if i had a vision i would be weary that it may not be from God…

[quote="michaeljason, post:1, topic:176938"]
Or at least that's the best way to put it. I was in one of those states early this morning where I was almost awake, but still asleep. I heard a voice in my head say to continue to pray the Rosary daily - I had been making myself commit to doing it every day since Monday - and that my "seed would bear a girl", and that we should call her Meghan. That exact spelling appeared before my eyes, then I snapped into being fully awake, wondering if I had really experienced what I had felt.

The Blessed Virgin never formally announced herself to me, and I never saw her, but I just know it was her speaking. There was just so much love in her voice.

I'm currently going through RCIA... I had been having a rough couple of weeks lately, and I was starting to wonder if the Catholic Church was truly right for me. I had been praying for something to strengthen my faith and to get me back on the right course, and this is far more than I could have hoped for.

Just wanted to share... I've only told my fiancee about it so far, but it's just so hard to think about it and not want to tell everyone.

[/quote]

If a dream leeds you more toward God then it probably is from God but one Should also not place undue importance on the dream it self but on the message of it. Dreams are used by the mind to clean out thing that are bothering us (in your case based on the limited details youve given I'd say it is you need to pray more). Place your faith in God not in dreams and a good rule of thumb is if there is a question of whether a dream comes from god then chances it does not if it really does there will be no doubt and the memory of the dream will stay with you a long time and give you a desiour to make positve changes in you life.

In her dream she was told to continue to pray the Rosary daily - I think that is pretty good advice. The OP has stated that she is not ‘over emphasizing’ the dream itself, but instead has received a certain amount of consolation and help to persevere (another positive side effect).

I’m not going to say either way whether or not the Blessed Mother actually spoke in this instance, but the fact that the OP was encouraged especially during a difficult stage in life while also at the same time taking the journey into the Church, I would be more of the opinion that this is not from the enemy. It could quite possibly be another example of Our Loving Mother’s great desire for and love of all her children!

michaeljason.....you KNOW who it was- and it's the fruits of the spirit that tell you what it is...this was a wonderful blessing of insight from our Lady to nurture your faith and remove your doubts... be at peace with this...continue the Rosary-and Know God is very much aware of your journey to Him and the steps needed to help you find your Faith..know you are loved...Dreams are a wonderful way for God and His angels and Saints to communicate with us-...say a prayer of protection before going to sleep and then trust you are in good hands-no fear...:thumbsup:God Bless

Meghan is a saint's name -- an Irish or Scottish form of Margaret. Nothing wrong with that.

Wait on the Lord, keep doing the right thing, don't worry too much about this dream one way or the other, and see what happens. If eventually you have a child, that'll be the time to think more about it. But for now, it's just one of those things that happens.

But thank you for telling us about it. Dream or not, it's beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!

I too converted after a similar dream…I will never, ever forget! What comfort it brings to know that she is with us and is aware of our everyday struggles.

The article about the Hindu family is truly amazing! I hadn’t read it before.

I’m sure this consolation will give you what you need to make it to the Easter Vigil.

Blessings!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.