Mary-The Ark of the Covenant

I’ve heard and read many examples of how Mary is the new Ark, but don’t know if I’ve ever heard this. It might not be a good example, but wanted to share it with you and see what anyone’s thoughts are on it. My son was reading this mornings readings and this is from 1 kings in the NKJV:

6Then the priests brought in the ark of the covenant of the Lord to its place, into the inner sanctuary of the temple, to the Most Holy Place, under the wings of the cherubim. 7For the cherubim spread their two wings over the place of the ark, and the cherubim overshadowed the ark and its poles.

When I heard this I immediately thought of Lukes gospel and the angel saying:

35*And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you;

I think fits as a type of Mary. In fact, I did a whole blog post about the witness of the cherubim angels to Mary’s Immaculate Conception. :o

Excellent write up! I also read the comments, and in there was a comment by Anonymous that nowhere does Scripture equate Mary with Eve. I almost snorted my drink through my nose! I guess he overlooked Jesus twice giving Mary the title of “woman”, the same title of Eve in Genesis.

Overshadowing is a major theme in my catechism class: platytera.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-umbrella-of-lord.html

That was a very interesting article, greatly appreciated

Thanks for your reply. I’ve always had a hard time explaining types. You did a good job of explaining them. Now if I can remember, I’ll have to keep this article close by for reference.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.