"Mary -- The Church at the Source"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Some of you may have read the book : “Mary, The Church at the Source” which contains reflectons on Mary written by then Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI and Hans Urs Von Balthasar, another outstanding thelogian. I began re-reading it and wanted to share these words on Mary’s “compassion”:

“…Mary is the accepted Cross, the Cross communicating itself in love, the Cross that now allows us to experience in her compassion, the compassion of God.” words of Cardinal Ratzinger, p.79

Mary is both Mother and Model for the Church, and so we need to continue pondering all Jesus said and did as Mary pondered all in her heart. Another sentence which impressed me deeply from the reflections of Cardinal Ratzinger:

“Only the joy that stands the test of pain and is stronger than affliction is authentic” p.79

2 Likes

Thanks for your heart, patricius!

Please pray with me over what I might share on Mary’s role in the lives of ALL God’s children, and how we by His Grace may best cooperate with that grace. Having completed the two major works of St. Louis de Montfort, there are some other books I’m considering such as: the Gospels, St Louis De Montfort’s “Letter to the Friends of the Cross” and also some excerpts from “The Legion of Mary Handbook” which the Servant of God, Frank Duff wrote – having read St. Louis de Montfort’s “True Devotion” half a dozen times Frank duff wrote of hisi finally receiving God’s Grace to exclaim : “This is True”. For the article about his experience with True Devotion see HERE

There are many Saints we can learn from, but Scripture is always first for it is the Revelation of God and the Saints drew from what God has revealed. Mary herself pondered all Jesus said and did. May God enable us to continue listneing to Him in our hearts that we may always be building up the Body of Christ in Love. (cf Eph 4 15-16)

1 Like

That is very true. True joy has to be something that increases the more we are suffering and are humiliated.

With God’s grace, given in Christ through Mary, this will happen if we want it to.

1 Like

Dear patricius,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, as St. Therese of Lisieux wrote:

“Love is the willingness to suffer” – sorry I cannot give a direct citation for where in her writings I found this quote but I remember when I read it, I was sure she was right. :slight_smile:

We need to want what God wants – if He permits suffering, then, by His Grace we need to really do the Truth we hear from Him : “Take up your cross and follow Me” ( Mt: 10:38, and Mt 16:24; Mk 8:34; Lk 9:23; and Lk 14:27).

Again quoting from the book “Mary - the Church at the Source”:

The Church is not a manufactured item; she is rather the living seed of God that must be allowed to grow and ripen. This is why the Church needs the Marian Mystery; this is why the Church herself is a Marian mystery. There can be no fruitfulness in the Church only when she has this character, when she becomes holy soil for the Word. We must retrieve the symbol of the fruitful soil, we must one more become waiting, inwardly recollected people who in the depth of prayer, longing, and faith give the Word room to grow. - words of Cardinal Ratzinger p. 17

1 Like

Yes. The devil tells us that suffering and joy are opposites. But Jesus teaches us that suffering out of love for God and neighbor, is joy.

1 Like

The greatest created gifts Jesus gives to us are His Mother and the Cross.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.