"Mary - The Church at the Source"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I’ve shared 7 different threads on God’s Compassion as reflected in Mary, using excerpts from the book “Mary the Church at the Source”. Today, however, as I was pondering the Mass readings both for the ordinary Friday and then, on this Memorial of St. John Bosco on Jan. 31, I thought again of Mary and the Church. First listening to the Parable of the Mustard Seed in these verses:

The Mustard Seed.

He said, “To what shall we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable can we use for it? It is like a mustard seed that, when it is sown in the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on the earth. But once it is sown, it springs up and becomes the largest of plants and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the sky can dwell in its shade. With many such parables He spoke the word to them as they were able to understand it. Without parables He did not speak to them, but to His own disciples he explained everything in private. (Lk 4: 30 - 34)

If we consider Mary as the good seed sown on earth, we can surely see how she is the model of the Church bringing forth the Perfect Fruit of her womb Jesus. She truly is the Church at the Source. We can also hear in other scripture verses how Mary as Mother Church, in union with God shelters the little sparrows.

How lovely your dwelling, O LORD of hosts! My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the LORD, My heart and flesh cry out for the living God. As the sparrow finds a home
and the swallow a nest to settle her young, My home is by your altars, LORD of hosts, my king and my God! Blessed are those who dwell in your house!
They never cease to praise you. (Psalm 84: 2-5)

However we must also remember the warnings God gives to us about the enemy who sows weeds in the midst of the good seed He plants. We need to remain in Mary’s Son Who died as a good seed dies in order to bring forth life. We need to ponder God’s Word as Mary did if we are to know Jesus in Truth, and remain in Him by the power of His Holy Spirit.

Today is also the Memorial of St. John Bosco who taught the young and had great devotion to Mary, Help of Christians. How appropriate the Gospel is, for the Memorial Mass, should the priest celebrating Mass choose it: Mt. 18: 1- 5 on humility. All of us need to turn and become as little Children of God through Mary, even as we are baptized into Christ her first born at our Baptism. Come, Holy Spirit, enable us to live in Jesus through Mary, building up the Body of Christ in His Love.

2 Likes

Dear patricius and Stephie,

Thanks again for your “faithful hearts” on this First Saturday of February. You both have been such consistent followers of Jesus through Mary, I’m very grateful to you! Let us remember to offer ourselves especially in reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary as she and Jesus both have asked for reparation. I will post next on that apparition to Sr. Lucia and Mary’s request for there to be "First Saturdays"of reparation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.