Mary Worship?

Anti-Catholics like to drag out old Catholic devotional literature and in horror point to references of how Catholics “worship” Mary. But…

If this is Worship…

“The most infallible and indubitable sign by which we may distinguish a heretic, a man of bad doctrine, a reprobate, from one of the predestinate, is that the heretic and the reprobate have nothing but contempt and indifference for Our Lady, endeavoring by their words and examples to diminish the worship and love of her, openly or hiddenly, and sometimes by misrepresentation. Alas! God the Father has not told Mary to dwell in them, for they are Esaus. …” (St. Louis De Monfort, True Devotion to Mary)

…then is this Worship??

Luke 14:7-14 (KJV)
7 And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how they chose out the chief rooms; saying unto them, 8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him; 9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room. 10 But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee. 11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. 12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee. 13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: 14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

*Both * are examples of proper, though archaic, usages of the word “worship” and in both cases are clearly meant *in context * to express the bestowal of great honor and veneration on a person, far short of that worship that is given to God alone.

Fidelis,

I have heard that a few hundred years ago, one of the wedding vows that a husband gave to his wife was “With my body I thee worship.” Just one more data point.

• Liberian

“I was made to love her/Worship and adore her.”

“All men need someone to worship and adore/That’s why I treasure you and place you high above.”

The first is from a song by Stevie Wonder (I Was Made to Love Her), the second from a song by the Four Tops (Bernadette).

If they want to argue that “worship” means adoration given to God alone, you might throw those two quotes at them.

[quote=Liberian]Fidelis,

I have heard that a few hundred years ago, one of the wedding vows that a husband gave to his wife was “With my body I thee worship.” Just one more data point.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

No. Not a few centuries ago. That formulation may still be in use in the Church of England. I believe I recall Prince Charles saying that to Princess Diana during their wedding. (Sigh. What a disapointment.)

Let’s not forget the Frank Sinatra classic “Fly Me to the Moon”

Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars
In other words hold my hand
In other words darling kiss me

Fill my life with song
And let me sing forevermore
You are all I hope for
All I worship and adore

In other words please be true
In other words I love you

:thumbsup:

“The most infallible and indubitable sign by which we may distinguish a heretic, a man of bad doctrine, a reprobate, from one of the predestinate, is that the heretic and the reprobate have nothing but contempt and indifference for Our Lady, endeavoring by their words and examples to diminish the worship and love of her, openly or hiddenly, and sometimes by misrepresentation. Alas! God the Father has not told Mary to dwell in them, for they are Esaus. …” (St. Louis De Monfort, True Devotion to Mary)

“With the whole Church I acknowledge that Mary, being a mere creature fashioned by the hands of God is, compared to his infinite majesty, less than an atom, or rather is simply nothing, since he alone can say, “I am he who is”.” (St. Louis De Monfort, True Devotion to Mary, 14)

Worship is to give special adoration and devotion to someone that should be only rightfully given to God alone. Who do we praise in our prayers? Who do we really trust in prayer? Who is our Sweetness, our Life and our comforter?

[quote=justcatholic]Worship is to give special adoration and devotion to someone that should be only rightfully given to God alone. Who do we praise in our prayers? Who do we really trust in prayer? Who is our Sweetness, our Life and our comforter?
[/quote]

Uh, I think you entirely missed the point of the original post.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.