Maryland county schools drop religious holidays from calendar [CC]

Public schools in Montgomery County, Maryland, will strip all references to religious holy days from the schools’ annual calendars, as the result of a 7-1 vote by the county’s education …

More…

Not a big deal to me. The schools will still be closed and the children’s parents can explain their beliefs to them as to why they have the day off. And I can still say Merry Christmas to those I’m pretty sure celebrate it. Happy Holidays to others. And we can all humankind strive to live together on this planet I believe God created which we call earth. Peace on it and goodwill towards all.

“… the educational calendar will not explain the closings in terms of religious observances.”

I’ll just bet they won’t.

“…the board agreed to eliminate Christmas and Easter, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Schools will be closed on religious holidays, but the educational calendar will not explain the closings in terms of religious observances.”

They just felt like having no school on those particular days. Nothing to do with Christmas, Easter, Yom Kippur, or Rosh Hashanah.

:nope:

It will probably be listed as: “non-attendance day”.

Bet Ramadan will still be called “Ramadan”.

That’s what’s so stupid about it. Were the complaints just about the calendar showing the reasons for the closures, or were the complaints about the closures themselves? I really don’t see how amending the calendar changes anything.

Looks like just another attempt to divide the baby.

It’s a great idea for those individuals who want to see religion removed from public life. In the same way that we christianized pagan holidays, they are secularizing our religious holidays. The goal is, of course, to make the presents of religion as invisible as possible to minimize the amount of people exposed.

If that sounds paranoid, I’m not entirely sure what other explanation their could be. Religious holidays provide a great teaching opportunity to describe what other people believe. It just seems like part of a complete education.

I don’t understand the wording that the linked article provided, when the article that it referenced clearly says that the people were asking for Muslim holidays to be added, not for Christian and Jewish holidays to be removed. So it doesn’t sound to me like Ramadan was ever on the calendar. Eid al-Adha is the specific holiday that they were requesting be added though, the article didn’t mention Ramadan at all.

From the Washington Post article (emphasis mine):

Students who miss classes on religious holidays are given excused absences. But Muslim families have argued that students should not have to choose between their faith and their schoolwork and that missing even a day leaves many students behind. They say the day off is a matter of equity, with Christian and Jewish students getting days off for their holidays.

But Tuesday’s outcome was not at all what Muslim leaders intended. They called the decision a surprise — and a glaring mistake.

“By stripping the names Christmas, Easter, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, they have alienated other communities now, and we are no closer to equality,” said Saqib Ali, a former Maryland state delegate and co-chair of the Equality for Eid Coalition. “It’s a pretty drastic step, and they did it without any public notification.”

Zainab Chaudry, also a co-chair of the coalition, expressed dismay, too, contending the school board’s members were willing to “go so far as to paint themselves as the Grinch who stole Christmas” to avoid granting equal treatment for the Muslim holiday.

washingtonpost.com/local/education/christmas-stricken-from-school-calendar-after-muslims-ask-for-equal-treatment/2014/11/11/f1b789a6-6931-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

And for those, like me, who aren’t familiar with Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice), one of two major Muslim holidays, I looked it up on Wiki:

It honors the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his promised son, Ishmael, as an act of submission to God’s command, before God then intervened to provide Abraham with a lamb to sacrifice instead. The meat from the sacrificed animal is preferred to be divided into three parts. The family retains one third of the share; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; and the remaining third is given to the poor and needy.

My comment was inteded to be a prediction that after Christian and Jewish holidays are removed, Muslim holidays will be added, and the former left off.

Oh. I guess that’s a possibility I hadn’t considered, but could happen. I guess I interpreted the story as instead of adding in the Muslim holiday, and instead of ignoring the requests to do so, they were removing the other religious holidays instead of that as a direct response. As in they saw it as an all or nothing type situation and opted for the “nothing”. I don’t see the logic in guessing that they would then make a 180 degree change on the situation and go back to “some” and favor the ones they were previously not comfortable with adding, but maybe I’m missing something that you picked up on? :shrug:

people are really going over board, with taking religion out of goverment. it is really sad and i think we have commercialized holidays so much, religious holidays, Easter and Christmas
are loosing the true meaning and we have been slow to fight the changes in society.
the government is taking Christ out of everything, christians are going through a great time of persecution.

Liberals never give up. They have been waging a war against Christians and Jews for quite some time now, particularly in the schools, in an attempt to wipe us off the map. Look at what the mayor of Huston tried to do recently. In this case, a golden opportunity fell into their laps. What could be easier than eliminating existing references to “all” religions [read: Christianity and Judaism] in the name of equality of course, and then later slip Islam in when no one is looking? If anyone complains, they can always claim they are “teaching ‘about’ religion” and get away with it. See “Play Muslim for a Day.”

:shrug: I guess we’ve been getting my news from different sources, because I haven’t seen much about liberals (which seems pretty generalized) waging war, or trying to support one religion.

And even if one Muslim holiday is recognized and the Christian and Jewish ones aren’t, that’s just putting Christians and Jews in the situation that the Muslims were in when they asked for change. I don’t see any difference. But again, I don’t really see any evidence in society or the news or… anywhere that would lead me to believe that it’s the goal of anyone to remove signs of Christianity and Judaism in schools and replace them with teachings of Islam. :shrug::shrug:

I don’t see learning about other religions as a bad thing or as a threat. I think it gives a better understanding of history, a better understanding of current events, a better understanding of our fellow humans. I see no downside if I’m being perfectly honest.
I think this story was more about holidays and days off from school as opposed to what is taught in the schools though.

I guess you never heard of “Play Muslim for a Day.” What do you think would happen if schools made students “Play Christian for a Day”?

As I stated, this is only the first step.

Having the day off but not calling it what it is seems deceitful. I’d not trust an organization that works that way. The irony is the simpletons in charge will still be calling the vacation days by Christian terms. Holiday comes from holy day and the holy days were all Christian.

I have not, and google is yielding no results when I search for the term. :shrug:

It is somewhat dated. I was able to find,
While the whole country debates a controversial court ruling declaring “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional, a federal lawsuit filed in another California court last week seeks to stop a public school from having its seventh-graders pray to Allah.

On behalf of parents and four children, the Thomas More Law Center filed suit against the Byron Union School District and various school officials to stop the use of the “Islam simulation” materials used in the Excelsior Elementary School in Byron, Calif.

“Public schools would never tolerate teaching Christianity in this way. Just imagine the ACLU’s outcry if students were told that they had to pray the Lord’s Prayer, memorize the Ten Commandments, use such phrases as ‘Jesus is the Messiah,’ and fast during Lent,” he [Richard Thompson, chief counsel for the Thomas More Law Center] added.

The rest is here wnd.com/2002/07/14425/

If you were the parent of a student at that school what would you do?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.