Mary's Assumption

The teaching of the Catholic Church that Mary was taken bodily up to heaven. What is the biblical support for this teaching? And to other Non-Catholic religions teach/believe this as well?
Thank you!

Re: non-Catholic religions, the Eastern Orthodox also believe in the assumption. They tend to call it the dormition, and they tend to believe she died and was resurrected before being taken into heaven. Catholics are also allowed to believe that, but in the Catholic Church it is also common to believe that she did not die. Either belief is currently permitted as long as we believe she was taken body and soul into heaven.

Re: biblical support, here are a few of the basic passages that support Mary’s assumption:

Revelation 12:1 “And a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun.” Verse 5: “She brought forth a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron.”

Psalms 45:9-10 “On your right stands the queen in gold of Ophir.” – This Psalm is a prophecy of Jesus according to Hebrews 1:8-9. And it says there will be a woman beside Him who will sit at His right hand.

“The New Eve” The early Christians compared Jesus to Adam and Mary to Eve because Adam and Eve were part of our fall while Jesus and Mary were part of our redemption. They were not subject to death because they were prepared by God to destroy death along with the sin of Adam and Eve which we inherit. Also, Adam and Eve would not have been subject to death if they had not disobeyed God. Jesus and Mary took the place of Adam and Eve in the New Covenant except they obeyed God’s will. They don’t inherit death because death is the result of the original sin.

“The New Ark” The early Christians also compared Mary to the Ark of the Covenant because the Ark of the Covenant carried the presence of God for the Israelites in the Old Testament, and Mary carried Jesus in the New Testament. 1 Kings 8:1-6 explains how the Ark was brought into Solomon’s Temple, and other Scriptures, including 2 Chronicles 6:41-42 and Psalms 132, say that this was a prophetic symbol of something the Messiah would do. Since Mary is the New Ark, this indicates that the Messiah was going to take His Mother into the New Temple – and that Temple is in heaven, Heb. 9:24, Heb. 8:5.

Nice Post!!!:)All generations shall call her Blessed!!!

Mary’s Assumption is not entirely without precedent. Before her were Enoch (Gen 5:24) and Elijah (2 Kings 2:11), both of whom were assumed into heaven in some manner.

AMEN, thanks, God Bless, Memaw

There is little biblical support for it, hence not a doctrine in Lutheranism. Neither is the belief in it prohibited. I the day to generally agree with Luther that she is with her Son, though it isn’t known how it happened.

Jon

Adding my Amen to a well written, Scripture filled post by Dmar.

Mary.

Moses also appeared with Elijah at the transfiguration of Jesus…according to the Bible he died on Mt Nebo and was buried by God at a place unknown…was he also resurrected at some time…

Hi. I read the Hebrews text and I don’t see anything alluding to Psalm 45 as a prophecy. Also, in Psalm 45 the text goes on to talk about the Queen having many sons - how does that fit in? If Mary is Jesus’ mother how can she be His queen? Just trying to understand this.

Thanks and God bless!

Rita

The mother of a king is a queen.

In Israel the queen was the king’s mother. Most Kings had many wives, and they couldn’t all be queen, but their mothers could. The position was known as the gebirah. Google search it.

So if Jesus came to establish a Kingdom, and you were a first century Jew, who would you expect to be the queen? Mary.

Here are a couple of scripture references refering to the queen mother. 1 Kings 15:13 and Jeremiah 13:18. There are others.

Yes.

So this shows us that a bodily assumption is not contrary to scripture.

We are not biological sons, but spiritual sons by adoption. Hence it says in Apocalypse, “And the dragon was angry against the woman: and went to make war with the rest of her seed, who keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ” (‭‭Apocalypse‬ ‭12:17).

Enoch and Elijah are different from Mary because they did not die. They were taken to heaven alive. It is said that they will return to earth and face death (the Catholic tradition generally indentifies the two witnesses of the Apocalypse with Elijah and Enoch). Mary did die, but her soul was reunited with her body when she was taken into heaven.

That’s what worldly thinking might lead one to expect, but this King has but one bride. It is the Church.

I think the Church permits the belief that Mary remained alive. It is my understanding that most of the Church Fathers said she died, but there are some who seem to suggest that she did not, or at least that she possibly did not.

They weren’t the Mother of Jesus and they weren’t the New Eve. Entirely different. God works in His own ways NOT ours. Trust Him. God Bless, Memaw

Mary has many sons and daughters, That’s US!!! Have you never heard of Queen Mother? That’s about as close to a King as one can get in human terms. God Bless, memaw

So is the Church queen then?

I could be wrong but I think the point Todd977 was making is that the concept of Assumption is explicitly taught in scripture.

In His Grace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.